By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why 3rd Parties Can’t (And Probably Won’t) Succeed on the Wii

BengaBenga said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
BengaBenga said:

Let's say Zack & Wiki is the ultimate example of failing 3rd party sales.
It sold 380.000 units according to VGC.
Here are some PS3 games that sold less than Z&W. According to your analysis the Wii might be a failure, but then you must aldo consider the PS3 a failure for 3rd parties.

But people aren't saying that Zack and Wiki is the ultimate example. People are saying that even with double the userbase, Wii has still sold less 3rd party software than Ps3 in 2008.

It isn't like 3rd parties are taking a bigger share against Nintendo, as a matter of fact, this year it is lower than it was this time last year. Their sales are increasing, but not majorly.

The Wii isn't seeing what the DS saw. 3rd parties aren't taking a bigger and bigger share of the sales.

Sure, those games you listed sold less than Zack & Wiki, but 35 games also sold more. Many of the games you listed are also multiplats, so selling that much on Ps3 isn't horrid, as X360 stands for as much or more sales, meaning that it sold around or more than 100% more.

PS: Don't criticize the OP for making this thread. He looks at it in a different way than earlier posted. If you have new facts or beliefs that are important, making a new thread should be accepted.

Either way, even if it was stupid to make it, he has heard it now, no need to rub it in.

Duh, there was a game called GTAIV remember?

BTW there are just as many 3rd party million sellers on Wii as on PS3. Sure there's a different in userbase, but Wii comes with a free game and Nintendo has so far made the best games for the system. And 3rd party publishers don't care about attach rates, they care about sales.

Your statement that Wii isn't seeing DS support is very premature. 3rd party announcement are increasing in number as in quality. Fatal Frame, Tenchu, Fragile, Oboro Muramasa etc etc.

I'm not saying that this thread is stupid or even that the opinion is stupid. The reason I posted the PS3 list is to show that it wouldn't hurt to tell the whole story, instead of always cherry picking the Wii's 3rd party software sales.

And now MGS4. Why should we discount those? Again, listing those games doesn't make them good. The list is better for the other systems right now, based on past performance of the franchises.

Around the Network
windbane said:
BengaBenga said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
BengaBenga said:

Here are some PS3 games that sold less than Z&W. According to your analysis the Wii might be a failure, but then you must aldo consider the PS3 a failure for 3rd parties.

But people aren't saying that Zack and Wiki is the ultimate example. People are saying that even with double the userbase, Wii has still sold less 3rd party software than Ps3 in 2008.

It isn't like 3rd parties are taking a bigger share against Nintendo, as a matter of fact, this year it is lower than it was this time last year. Their sales are increasing, but not majorly.

The Wii isn't seeing what the DS saw. 3rd parties aren't taking a bigger and bigger share of the sales.

Sure, those games you listed sold less than Zack & Wiki, but 35 games also sold more. Many of the games you listed are also multiplats, so selling that much on Ps3 isn't horrid, as X360 stands for as much or more sales, meaning that it sold around or more than 100% more.

PS: Don't criticize the OP for making this thread. He looks at it in a different way than earlier posted. If you have new facts or beliefs that are important, making a new thread should be accepted.

Either way, even if it was stupid to make it, he has heard it now, no need to rub it in.

BTW there are just as many 3rd party million sellers on Wii as on PS3. Sure there's a different in userbase, but Wii comes with a free game and Nintendo has so far made the best games for the system. And 3rd party publishers don't care about attach rates, they care about sales.

Your statement that Wii isn't seeing DS support is very premature. 3rd party announcement are increasing in number as in quality. Fatal Frame, Tenchu, Fragile, Oboro Muramasa etc etc.

I'm not saying that this thread is stupid or even that the opinion is stupid. The reason I posted the PS3 list is to show that it wouldn't hurt to tell the whole story, instead of always cherry picking the Wii's 3rd party software sales.

And now MGS4. Why should we discount those? Again, listing those games doesn't make them good. The list is better for the other systems right now, based on past performance of the franchises.

Yes, the list isn't as good, but 3rd party quality last year was far from mediocre, it was much worse. For a change to a mediocre 3rd party list could make a lot of change for Wii 3rd party sales. Personally I doubt it will, but that's what people seem to think.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

windbane said:
BengaBenga said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
BengaBenga said:

It isn't like 3rd parties are taking a bigger share against Nintendo, as a matter of fact, this year it is lower than it was this time last year. Their sales are increasing, but not majorly.

Lets all just remember that "3rd party sales" is afterall, a talking point, and in the history books, "sales" without the "3rd party" in front of them, will be so heavily in Nintendo's favor that the PS3 and 360 will be footnotes in relation.

As for 3rd party games, they simply can't put out a consistantly Nintendo level of quality. Now that said, the PS3 has just had two of the three biggest games that will ever release on the console in the first half a year. If its 3rd party game sales hadn't edged out the Wii, who exactly would have been the failure?

I won't comment on anyones obviously biased opinion, but the facts here are relatively clear. Everyone should decide for themselves, again with less "hope" and more "deduction."

For instance, I deduce that the Wii has some great 3rd party games coming this year, that's my educated opinion. I base it on the fact that the Wii is now seeing more quality 3rd party development than ever before, with the 08 linup looking as good as the entireity of the already released library for the console.

There is no educated way to determine the level of the Wii's 3rd party support, however it is a safe assumption that it will always be at this level or greater for the entirity of its lifecycle, based on userbase.

That means Nintendo has re-earned its seat at the table, at least, and short of respecting it, fanboys should at least admit that it is a competing system.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

The userbase for multiplat HD titles will probably remain higher than the Wii throughout this console cycle, so the viability of HD third party games will always be there. I have yet to see a major change, and listing games doesn't do it until they come out and don't suck. It appears Alone in the Dark isn't a great game, for one.

@Windbane: Yes we know, Haze and Lair were terrible. And still Sony fans list a lot of games like LBP, Killzone 2, FFXIIIv, Last Remnant and a whole lot more but I don't see you complaining when they do so.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
windbane said:
The userbase for multiplat HD titles will probably remain higher than the Wii throughout this console cycle, so the viability of HD third party games will always be there. I have yet to see a major change, and listing games doesn't do it until they come out and don't suck. It appears Alone in the Dark isn't a great game, for one.

Since it launched, the Wii has outsold the PS3 and XBox 360 combined (worldwide) even though it has been supply constrained, the HD consoles have seen price reductions, and the HD consoles have seen the release of their biggest franchises (Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Grand Theft Auto 4). I could be wrong, but I think it is foolish to assume that as the Wii finally starts to see third party support at a level appropriate for a popular console, Nintendo is able to manufacture enough systems to satisfy demand, the Wii will see price reductions and other incentives, and Nintendo will release the second wave of huge first party titles (targeting both core and new games) that Nintendo can not sell the additional 6 Million Wii systems to pass the HD console userbase.

Can't disagree with those reasonings. Pretty much spot on.

But it's also then good to look at GH: WT on Wii and seeing that Activision is fighting back haha. Good for them.

Hopefully the publisher for The Conduit will do the same.

Ok so me and this guy are racing at the track. I'm hitting 220 mph on the straights. He topped out at 190 mph.

Pop quiz, hot shots. Is 190 mph slow? Does the fact I hit 220 mph nullify an significance of him hitting 190 mph? If you could take your car and do 190 mph, would that be fast for you?

Now for the analogy to work you have to replace me with Nintendo and him with 3rd parties. Then replace our speeds with their sales numbers.

Nintendo selling at X level doesn't mean the Y level of sales of 3rd parties is bad.

End of debate.

The rEVOLution is not being televised