By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Is The Playstation 3 Doing To Horrible In Japan?

(Sorry about the typo suppose to be "Why is the playstation 3 doing SO horrible in japan")

Just wondering that, because I was looking at the sales of the PS2 and it seem's to be averaging about 40-50K a week in Japan but the PS3 is lucky to get 10K a week, but in North America and the Other region's they're pretty well even. Did the japanese have a bad experience with the PS2 or something?

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

Around the Network

Awww....dude we just had a good week in Japan. Can't we bask in it for a week until it all comes crashing down on us?

Japanese prefer a gaming console that has games, games that they like. They also like products that aren't exactly the same as their predecessor, and if they are the same, at least let them play those older games.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

We did have a excellent week but I dought it well last

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

well it doesnt have the same appeal as ps2

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

If the Japanese market prefers one company, there is literally no chance for their competitors to compete except through handhelds. The Japanese have decided that this generation, they like the Wii, DS, and PSP. And they'll probably prefer Nintendo again next generation. After that, it's anyone's guess. The PS3 is pretty much tracking alongside the Gamecube anyways.

It is really expensive compared to the other systems and also, it lacks mass-appeal and apparently Japanese appeal aswell.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

It's only part of it, but a lot of franchises that are key in Japan seem to be running to Microsoft for some fast cash or the Wii for it's larger user base and lower production costs. I'm looking at you ToV, Ace combat, Tenchu, Project Zero ect.

Compare the sales of PS2 when FF10 came out then do another comparison when FF13 comes out. Japan is simple math.

MontanaHatchet said:
If the Japanese market prefers one company, there is literally no chance for their competitors to compete except through handhelds. The Japanese have decided that this generation, they like the Wii, DS, and PSP. And they'll probably prefer Nintendo again next generation. After that, it's anyone's guess. The PS3 is pretty much tracking alongside the Gamecube anyways.

No offense,but I don't see where that logic comes from.In regard to the Playstation 3 and Nintendo wii; the Playstation has already demonstrated that it can sell above or at about the same level as the wii.The wii is the system to own because it has more appealing games to that particularlar market.As soon as Metal Gear Solid 4 came out,sales skyrocketed;this shows to me that both consoles can sell harmoniously,and that "Japan is only a one console region" to be untrue.