By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 a faster money sink than the Xbox? I can see why no price cuts soon.

I would like to join this discussion. Please refer to my thread:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=30391&start=-0

Repost:
I want to get your opinion on the original numbers:

PS2 hardware - I assumed they make $15 per unit - do you have a different number in mind?
PSP hardware - I assumed they also make $15 per unit
PS3 - what is the hardware loss? I assumed $306

PS2 software - I assume they make $8 per unit
PSP software - I assume they make $8 per unit
PS3 software - ???

Basically, we have to assume 5 variable to come up with the 6th variable.
Based on those assumptions, then PS3 software LOST
$8.8 per unit on 57.9 million units sold
or a TOTAL of $508 million dollars JUST ON PS3 SOFTWARE ALONE.

Does that make sense? I ask you guys because I am not very familiar with Sony's numbers.

On the flip side, if you assume PS3 software makes money,
even at a modest $5 per unit or a total of $288 million

then

PS3 hardware lost an average of about $390 PER UNIT

Which is a likelier scenario in your opinion?

Sony Games LOSS - FY ending Mar 200 - $1.245 Billion USD

When replying, please let me know your assumptions of 5 variables, then the 6th variable can be calculated.
I can recalculate - very simply - using excel

NUMBERS FOR YOUR REFERENCE:

OPERATING INCOME
Unit Sales Unit Income Income
Hardware (Millions)
PS2 13.73 15 205,950,000
PSP 13.89 15 208,350,000
PS3 9.24 -306 (2,827,440,000)
Software
PS2 154 8 1,232,000,000
PSP 55.5 8 444,000,000
PS3 57.9 (8.77) (507,860,000)

(1,245,000,000)- THIS NUMBER IS CONSTANT

Around the Network
Ail said:

I don't think turning up a profit will be as hard as it seems.
The PS3 installed base is starting to be big enough for software sales to start counterbalancing hardware sales.

One example :
April 2007 : 372k PS3 sold, 636k PS3 software sold ( incomplete numbers but what VGChartz has). 1.7 software units sold per console.

April 2008 : 682k PS3 sold, 4.1 millions PS3 software units sold( VGCChartz numbers again). 6 units of software sold per PS3.

Keep in mind this is April the month in the quarter without big titles.

May and June will be more like 7 or 8 software units/console with GTA4 and MGS4...

And as time pass this ratio will become bigger and bigger.( I woudn't be surprised if we get to something like 10-12 in 6 months for the holyday period).

Sure PS2 software are slowing down to counterbalance the rise in PS3 software but I can't believe Sony is still making that much per sale of PS2 software these days seeing how most games are priced at 30$ or less NEW....

This rise in PS3 software sales ( which will keep happening as the installed base increase ) will be the key factor in PS3 turning a profit and will be what will enable more price cuts ( I still think we will have at least a 50$ cut around the holydays).

PS : this is the same thing that made the 360 turn a profit last year, once you have over 10-12 millions console out the monthly ratio of software/console sold increases a lot and software start covering for hardware loss...

Well actually the Xbox360 is probably sold at a profit at the moment, and that profit will increase with the Jasper revision.

But the real question is $3,000,000,000 in the hole. They would need to sell 430million third party titles to break even @ $7 per copy. So to really even think about breaking even they have to profit from console sales as well, yet to do that will slow down the rate of console sales and therefore slow the rate of software sales.

Furthermore, until they can increase the userbase substantially their 1st party developers are a weight around their neck and not a boon at all. Since they've been forced to bundle these titles instead of selling them, its probably added to that net loss and not helped really.

Tease.

Bodhesatva said:
Username2324 said:
You know that doesn't mean that the PS3 is still losing money, a few months ago we found out they were just about cutting even on the 40GBs.

In any case, hasn't the 360 lost like 7 billion not including all of the R&D?

This is all incorrect. The 360 has lost ~2.5 billion for Microsoft, and has now posted profits of ~550 million over the last 3 quarter. Second, the PS3 is not about cutting even, according to Sony, they are still losing ~130 dollars per PS3 shipped (although analysts estimate it could be even more).  

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/05/15/sony-could-be-losing-much-more-than-130-on-every-console-sold/

Incorrect, this is all speculation by an analyst. Original Article here, notice saying "Speculates it could be 130 dollars per unit"

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10479&Itemid=2

seriously, read the source article before posting it. Last I heard they were breaking even on 40 gigs.

And I find it hard to think the 360 has only lost Microsoft 2.5 billion when that was almosst the total for the RROD warranty replacements. Your not including money spent on exclusives, RnD and marketing, the XBOX division has lost Microsoft 7+ billion dollars, I doubt 5 billion of that is the last console.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Sony still ownz microsoft, dont wanna here that when sony is above microsoft in sales, the 360 have been out a whole year above the ps3, and it's only 5 million consoles ahead, be reasonable ps3 will come back and make 360 fanboys cry

NJ5 said:
drkohler said:
NJ5 said:

@drkohler: You still haven't explained why your numbers look like BS considering Sony's declarations and financial results.

You came up with a $350 manufacturing cost, which would make the PS3 profitable even at a $400 price, going against Sony's CFO's declarations. You have also failed to account for such simple things as taxes in Europe's case, and repeatedly ignored all the hard evidence which was presented.

Here are four things you could explain:

1- Explain what you mean with the difference between "manufacturing" and "production" costs. Explain why one of them matters and the other one doesn't.

2- Explain why we should believe a number written on a internet forum by some random poster who claims to know $350 is the manufacturing cost. Do you have the bill of materials for a PS3, the list of suppliers, the contracts Sony has with those suppliers? How do you come up with that approximation, when analysts have come up with others? Why are you more qualified than everyone else? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and from what I've seen you haven't provided even the slightest bit of evidence.

3- Explain why you keep quoting European prices with included taxes, when it would be much more significant to quote prices before taxes (often more than 20%) which are the maximum Sony can receive. Explain why you, being so qualified, can't correct this easy mistake even after being told about it twice?

4- Explain why, if you are right, Sony has stated multiple times that they're losing money on hardware (oh right, is it because you claim to know that all the machines recently sold were produced long ago, a claim which you haven't proved?). In that case, explain why they think they're only going to start breaking even at the end of the fiscal year, or early next fiscal year?

I am not going to write a 500 page dissertation about those points, only a few things concerning your answer:

1. "Explain why one of them matters and the other one doesn't." I never wrote that at all and it is a completely ludicruous statement. Manufacturing costs is what a company has to pay for its product when it's in the production cycle - be that manufactured by itself or a contractor. Now, before you can manufacture a product, you have the full cycle of marketing research, development stages, testing stages etc. All this adds to the price of a product, since you as the producer have to cough up that money before you sold your first item - also you still have all your engineers to feed even if the product design is finished (which, in the industry, never happens anyway).

2. The list of components is easy to get (also you can actually _look_ at the main board and write down a component list -the chip descriptions are not milled.). How do I "invent" my price estimates? ($840 for 1st generation, $620 for 2nd generation, $350-$400 for 3-4fth generation units. Note how the first two numbers are pretty identical to numbers given by most analysts so my assumptions are not totally wrong right from the start). As with every estimate, one has to make certain assumptions, my key assumption is that Sony Gameing division had a $3 billion setup cost for the PS3 which they wanted to regain with their first 10 million units in two production runs of roughly 5 million units each. Now obviously noone outside Sony knows about the contracts Sony has with its suppliers or Sony's plans to regain development costs, so one has to estimate standard values for components, amortisation times, and procedures as they exist in the industry. Granted it has been a long time since I designed computer components myself (on a much smaller scale than we write here and we are talking Nec7220, Hitachi HD61480 etc), but the industry has not changed systematically in the past 30 years, only the manufacturing has changed ("just in time" is one of the buzzwords here. Somewhere there is an older post in the forum where I explained the costs of some parts a little in detail, but I'm too lazy to search it for you). And yes, in the past 30 years, I had worked in many projects and had been in direct contact with companies large and small that produce industrial goods (or sometimes produce machines that produce industrial goods - I have actually seen prototypes of blu-ray discs in research labs before most of our readers have even heard about something now called blu-ray). When you work in projects in such surroundings, you also get to see some of the financial decisions behind them. (And you always have to sign so-alled "nondisclose agreements" which prevent you from telling anyone what you have seen or you go bankrupt pretty fast).

3. I can walk into major and minor Swiss, French and German stores within an hour or two and simply write down the prices for the various consoles.. and I have colleagues in other countries that do the same thing in their hometurfs. So there is no secret procedure to get sale values.. As an example for Switzerland, the tax is 9.3%, so subtract roughly $60 from every bundle and you get around $560 for the PS3 before taxes. That's still far away from $350-$400 Sony coughs up upfront. And dealer margins are pretty low for this kind of electronic goods (I think there are older posts that say some US distributors actually have a zero margin on the hardware - something that no distributor in Europe would accept).

4. I'm not going there. If you don't want to understand my previous posts that try to figure explain Sony losses even in last fiscal quarter, that's ok with me. Also I never wrote about the whole sottfware issue because I have no clue there. This could have been/still is an equal money sink as the hardware unit.

Around the Network
bumidan said:
I would like to join this discussion. Please refer to my thread:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=30391&start=-0

Repost:
I want to get your opinion on the original numbers:

PS2 hardware - I assumed they make $15 per unit - do you have a different number in mind?
PSP hardware - I assumed they also make $15 per unit
PS3 - what is the hardware loss? I assumed $306

PS2 software - I assume they make $8 per unit
PSP software - I assume they make $8 per unit
PS3 software - ???

Basically, we have to assume 5 variable to come up with the 6th variable.
Based on those assumptions, then PS3 software LOST
$8.8 per unit on 57.9 million units sold
or a TOTAL of $508 million dollars JUST ON PS3 SOFTWARE ALONE.

Does that make sense? I ask you guys because I am not very familiar with Sony's numbers.

On the flip side, if you assume PS3 software makes money,
even at a modest $5 per unit or a total of $288 million

then

PS3 hardware lost an average of about $390 PER UNIT

Which is a likelier scenario in your opinion?

Sony Games LOSS - FY ending Mar 200 - $1.245 Billion USD

When replying, please let me know your assumptions of 5 variables, then the 6th variable can be calculated.
I can recalculate - very simply - using excel

NUMBERS FOR YOUR REFERENCE:

OPERATING INCOME
Unit Sales Unit Income Income
Hardware (Millions)
PS2 13.73 15 205,950,000
PSP 13.89 15 208,350,000
PS3 9.24 -306 (2,827,440,000)
Software
PS2 154 8 1,232,000,000
PSP 55.5 8 444,000,000
PS3 57.9 (8.77) (507,860,000)

(1,245,000,000)- THIS NUMBER IS CONSTANT

I think the 8$ per PS2 software was probably true when last gen was still going however seeing how these days most PS2 games are selling new for 30$ or less I would suspect at this point Sony make less per PS2 game sold.

I think there is a huge cost that is not mentionned but I believe is wrapped under the gaming division financials.

Sony owns a lot of development studios ( many more than Microsoft for example) and most of those ( aside from Insomniac and naughty Dogs) have yet to release a PS3 game so those studios are currently costing a lot of money to Sony every quarter ( seeing the number of studios we are speaking over 100 million dollars a quarter..)

Then you have to add all the personel of the gaming division that are not developers in first party studios, this is probably a fairly decent cost too...

Then add the marketing budget of the gaming division, probably a decent number too.

I mean you have whole organizations like SCEE, SCEA that I believe are wrapped under the gaming division, this means those number cover stuff like Everquest, Everquest 2, Vanguard and others too..

Really it's nowhere near as simple as you make it look like to compute the loss per PS3 sold..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

ceaser92 said:
Sony still ownz microsoft, dont wanna here that when sony is above microsoft in sales, the 360 have been out a whole year above the ps3, and it's only 5 million consoles ahead, be reasonable ps3 will come back and make 360 fanboys cry

They're not a shareholder in Microsoft.

Tease.

Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
alpha_dk said:
ssj12 said:

Well with Blu-ray music might get a second round in the HD music players again. Thats right music on Blu-ray in stunning quality.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Surround_Records/Music_on_High-Def/Disc_Announcements/Tchaikovskys_Piano_Concertos_Audio_Blu-ray_Announced/1839

Lol?

I;m serious, I loved the idea of super-audio CDs back in the day. They offered a much cleaner sound then CDs. If they were Blu-Music Discs the audio quality would be amazing. 7.1 Uncompressed audio = awesome!

The problem is... you're about the only one.

If people cared about sound quality we wouldn't have CD's or Cassette tapes. Everyone would still be spinning the Vinyl.

Which is generally the problem. Your looking at this stuff from a tech enthusiasts point of view. Not from the view of the market as a whole.

I mean... why didn't Laserdisc catch on? It was better in every way. Why did VHS beat out Betamax when Beta was the better format?

These are the kind of things the tech enthusists miss.

Well, Vinyl is making a big return. The big electronic stores here all sell new Vinyl nowadays, so it's becoming mainstream again. All the new records are also printed on Vinyl.

I buy most of the stuff on vinyl, because it sounds enormously better. You don't need a professional audio set to hear that.

|_emmiwinks said:

Incorrect, this is all speculation by an analyst. Original Article here, notice saying "Speculates it could be 130 dollars per unit"

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10479&Itemid=2

seriously, read the source article before posting it. Last I heard they were breaking even on 40 gigs.

And I find it hard to think the 360 has only lost Microsoft 2.5 billion when that was almosst the total for the RROD warranty replacements. Your not including money spent on exclusives, RnD and marketing, the XBOX division has lost Microsoft 7+ billion dollars, I doubt 5 billion of that is the last console.

You are entering the fail zone.  What you are no doubt referring too is an iSupply report that SPECULATED that Sony was breaking even on the 40GB before Sony's quarterly report showed us that they are losing anywhere from $80-$180 per unit.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

drkohler said:

I am not going to write a 500 page dissertation about those points, only a few things concerning your answer:

1. "Explain why one of them matters and the other one doesn't." I never wrote that at all and it is a completely ludicruous statement. Manufacturing costs is what a company has to pay for its product when it's in the production cycle - be that manufactured by itself or a contractor. Now, before you can manufacture a product, you have the full cycle of marketing research, development stages, testing stages etc. All this adds to the price of a product, since you as the producer have to cough up that money before you sold your first item - also you still have all your engineers to feed even if the product design is finished (which, in the industry, never happens anyway).

2. The list of components is easy to get (also you can actually _look_ at the main board and write down a component list -the chip descriptions are not milled.). How do I "invent" my price estimates? ($840 for 1st generation, $620 for 2nd generation, $350-$400 for 3-4fth generation units. Note how the first two numbers are pretty identical to numbers given by most analysts so my assumptions are not totally wrong right from the start). As with every estimate, one has to make certain assumptions, my key assumption is that Sony Gameing division had a $3 billion setup cost for the PS3 which they wanted to regain with their first 10 million units in two production runs of roughly 5 million units each. Now obviously noone outside Sony knows about the contracts Sony has with its suppliers or Sony's plans to regain development costs, so one has to estimate standard values for components, amortisation times, and procedures as they exist in the industry. Granted it has been a long time since I designed computer components myself (on a much smaller scale than we write here and we are talking Nec7220, Hitachi HD61480 etc), but the industry has not changed systematically in the past 30 years, only the manufacturing has changed ("just in time" is one of the buzzwords here. Somewhere there is an older post in the forum where I explained the costs of some parts a little in detail, but I'm too lazy to search it for you). And yes, in the past 30 years, I had worked in many projects and had been in direct contact with companies large and small that produce industrial goods (or sometimes produce machines that produce industrial goods - I have actually seen prototypes of blu-ray discs in research labs before most of our readers have even heard about something now called blu-ray). When you work in projects in such surroundings, you also get to see some of the financial decisions behind them. (And you always have to sign so-alled "nondisclose agreements" which prevent you from telling anyone what you have seen or you go bankrupt pretty fast).

3. I can walk into major and minor Swiss, French and German stores within an hour or two and simply write down the prices for the various consoles.. and I have colleagues in other countries that do the same thing in their hometurfs. So there is no secret procedure to get sale values.. As an example for Switzerland, the tax is 9.3%, so subtract roughly $60 from every bundle and you get around $560 for the PS3 before taxes. That's still far away from $350-$400 Sony coughs up upfront. And dealer margins are pretty low for this kind of electronic goods (I think there are older posts that say some US distributors actually have a zero margin on the hardware - something that no distributor in Europe would accept).

4. I'm not going there. If you don't want to understand my previous posts that try to figure explain Sony losses even in last fiscal quarter, that's ok with me. Also I never wrote about the whole sottfware issue because I have no clue there. This could have been/still is an equal money sink as the hardware unit.

Thank you for your explanations, although regarding the most important point (number 2) a lot of doubts remain, of course.

Regarding number 4, you misunderstood (or didn't see) Sony's actual declarations. They didn't say they'd break even on the games division, they said they'd break even on a per-hardware-unit cost.

Look here:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/62529-sony-corp-f3q07-9qtr-end-12-31-07-earnings-call-transcript?page=-1

Daniel Ernst - Hudson Square Research

(...)

And then, on the PS3, can you discuss where the cost down reduction is going? It took production cost at launch to where it is today. What has been the per-unit reduction you have been able to achieve?

Nobuyuki Oneda - Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

(...)

Dan, your second question, PS3 cost update, since the introduction the cost has drastically decreased. How much I cannot disclose it. However, we can expect that sometime in late fiscal year '08, the cost to be equal to the selling price. Currently, the cost is higher than the price, but toward the second half the fiscal year '08 we could catch up.

If you were right and the current manufacturing cost was $350, I don't see why they'd think they'd only start breaking even on hardware towards the end of fiscal 2008 (meaning more than 6 months from now, potentially almost 9 months).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957