By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PAL charts week 25 (2008), MGS4 second week, more GTA 4, Wii fit, ....

alone in the dark was a major flop anyway. why 360 owners bought this i'll never know. they should have spent their money on ninja gaiden, not this trash.

Around the Network
Neos said:
shanbcn said:
Chrizum said:
Wow, Alone in the Dark for Wii didn't even chart... Major flop confirmed?

And then they blame 3rd parties for not supporting Wii. Now wonder Konami will not even bother puting PES on Wii.

also, very high drop for MGS4. Really bad.

Actually, it's better than I expected. Halo 3 dropped 79% second week, and GTA IV dropped 77%. MGS4 only dropping 59% isn't too bad considering that it probably appeals to casuals less than the forementioned games. I thought it would be somewhere around 80% drop off.

BKK2 said:
Neos said:
shanbcn said:
Chrizum said:

And then they blame 3rd parties for not supporting Wii. Now wonder Konami will not even bother puting PES on Wii.

Actually, it's better than I expected. Halo 3 dropped 79% second week, and GTA IV dropped 77%. MGS4 only dropping 59% isn't too bad considering that it probably appeals to casuals less than the forementioned games. I thought it would be somewhere around 80% drop off.

Very true.  360 fanboys gloat at the current sale levels, but we have to be realistic, if it sold the way they mock it for not selling, it would have have a life time sales of 10 million, and that is not happening.  So far - on a week by week- shot (which I would like to reiterate is a very finicky assesment of potential life long sales)- the game is going in line to sell 4 million world wide this year.

The real question will be next month.  With Sony loading up more bundled consoles - could potential owners still be holding out for more bundles.  Perhaps 4 million worldwide is a bit conservative if this is the case.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

BKK2 said:
Neos said:
shanbcn said:
Chrizum said:

But these games had huge first week, MGS4 sales in UK are disapointing to say the least. When will Italy chart of week 24 be avaible?

shanbcn said:
BKK2 said:
Neos said:
shanbcn said:
Chrizum said:

But these games had huge first week, MGS4 sales in UK are disapointing to say the least. When will Italy chart of week 24 be avaible?

GTA IV was also multiplatform and is a game that rivals Mario Kart in terms of market appeal.  Be realistic, 4 million world wide by the end of this year is more than generous.  Not every game will sell 8-9 million copies.  That is ludicrous thinking.   GTA is a franchise that holds many records in terms of sales.  Halo is a game that almost every single 360 owner is bound to buy.  You can't apply those principles to MGS4.

Grand Theft Auto IV hasn't even sold 4 million copies on the PS3!!  People are expecting this game to sell 7-8 million by the end of this year. As great as ANY game is, those attach ratios make zero sense.  It will achieve 4 million worldwide end of this year, and it will have legs.  However, one has to put things into perspective.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Around the Network
shanbcn said:
BKK2 said:
Neos said:
shanbcn said:
Chrizum said:

Well, Halo and GTA have historically been far bigger franchises in the UK than MGS. MGS4 sales are in line with previous MGS games, so I don't see anything disapointing.

As for Italy, it was probably somewhere around 30k first week, but still waiting for the actual numbers.

It seems nice second week for MGS4.

"Next Gen. doesn't start until Sony says so", and it starts with.....

Metal Gear "Solid" launch.

Quote :"Ironic isn't it? Sony charges nothing for it's service yet you don't have to deal with pop-adds. Yet xbox live charges and gives you ads that you can't close. Funny how different the west is from the east."

talkingparrot said:
BKK2 said:
Neos said:
shanbcn said:
Chrizum said:

Very true.  360 fanboys gloat at the current sale levels, but we have to be realistic, if it sold the way they mock it for not selling, it would have have a life time sales of 10 million, and that is not happening.  So far - on a week by week- shot (which I would like to reiterate is a very finicky assesment of potential life long sales)- the game is going in line to sell 4 million world wide this year.

The real question will be next month.  With Sony loading up more bundled consoles - could potential owners still be holding out for more bundles.  Perhaps 4 million worldwide is a bit conservative if this is the case.

That is the slippery-slope of using bundles and different SKUs for promotion. People will get the idea to just wait and they will eventually get a better bundle.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

shanbcn said:

Already available, but without numbers for the moment, in my thread for the week 24.

Not surprised about Alone in the Dark on Wii not selling well. As IGN said, Atari did everything they could to make sure you didn't know about it haha. Apparently so. At least it sold well on the 360.