By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL May NPD Prediction Thread

ioi said:
220k for PSP and yet not a big game out all month. I find it amazing how well PSP continues to sell, wildly different to our figures - it's like PSP and 360 are swapped.

the psp's price dropped rememeber

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network

'directionally it is interesting to see the PSP outselling the PS2, 360 and PS3.'

I thought this was PSP outselling all of them combined LOL was gonna flip.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

shams said:
Don't forget, this is US only. 360 figures are a little lower than I expected, but probably about right. The data from this site does seem to be "pro" 360 though ;) [joke]

The 360 numbers are a lot lower than I expected, it looks like 360 is gonna keep falling till Halo 3 comes out. The PS3 is not the only one in trouble lol

PSP needs to sell software like the 360, and the 360 needs to sell hardware like the PSP.

lol

ioi said:
220k for PSP and yet not a big game out all month. I find it amazing how well PSP continues to sell, wildly different to our figures - it's like PSP and 360 are swapped.

It is astounding - I almost find it impossible, unless *everyone* is warezing their PSP units.

Or our PSP software figures are WAY off? Nothing in top 50?

Price drop does explain it somewhat - but its still very, very odd to me.

NOTE - so does this mean that the 360 is UNDER 10m... again?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
  1. DS 423K
  2.  Wii 338K
  3. PSP 221,120
  4. PS2 187,765
  5. 360 154,900
  6. PS3 81,604
  7. GBA 80,554
  8. GameCube 10,728

nintendo domination....

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

ckmlb said:
shams said:
Don't forget, this is US only. 360 figures are a little lower than I expected, but probably about right. The data from this site does seem to be "pro" 360 though ;) [joke]

The 360 numbers are a lot lower than I expected, it looks like 360 is gonna keep falling till Halo 3 comes out. The PS3 is not the only one in trouble lol

I was always worried about this. I see the 360/PS3 competing DIRECTLY - for the same consumers. They are going to do nothing other than damage each others sales. Its sort of ironic, that they need to be working together to take on the Wii.

The PS3 will improve when it releases more "non-hardcore" games (i.e. like Rachet or Uncharted).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
ioi said:

It is astounding - I almost find it impossible, unless *everyone* is warezing their PSP units.

Or our PSP software figures are WAY off? Nothing in top 50?

Price drop does explain it somewhat - but its still very, very odd to me.

NOTE - so does this mean that the 360 is UNDER 10m... again?

Yeah it does... end of video games confirmed :( LOL

shams said:
ckmlb said:
shams said:

I was always worried about this. I see the 360/PS3 competing DIRECTLY - for the same consumers. They are going to do nothing other than damage each others sales. Its sort of ironic, that they need to be working together to take on the Wii.

The PS3 will improve when it releases more "non-hardcore" games (i.e. like Rachet or Uncharted).

exactly 360 boys have to be worried about that...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

ioi said:
Ha, what about NextGenWars then, on well over 11m for Xbox360 by now!

Now, now, we wouldn't want to be unprofessional or childish now would we?  Oh well, I guess you're not emailing that to the NexGen Wars guy so it's cool.

Nothing surprising, Wii and DS top the charts, the PS3 only just barely survives the GBA's challenge for the month, the over priced 360 continues to badly underperform (speaking of which, where's Windbane, I think I'd like to hear how average the price of the 360 is again), and the PS2 keeps on trucking. 

I must be one of the few who doesn't find the PSP's performace to be stunning.  With the price cut and major ad campaign Sony managed to bump its marketshare in its hitherto best market all the way up to 30% from 22% the month before.  It'll be a few months before we can tell if that was a Gamecube style temporary bump or something more permanent.  Even if it is permanent it's not that big a deal. 

Although listening to Sony fanboys over at Neogaf say that the extra 60k for a month heralds 70 million+ PSP sales is amusing.  Sony fanboys are really having to stretch for anything good these days.  At least MS fanboys can return to playing a generally good lineup of games after lamenting the poor sales of their system of choice.