By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - John CarmackDeveloping for PS3/360

Gballzack said:
Cause that's what the 360/PS3 need to diversify their their shrinking demographic... more First Person Shooters...
 Should he implement this engine to play mini-games?  I honestly think the Wii has the least diverse portfolio of all the systems.  Microsoft is doing WAY better this generation about creating more than FPS's and Sony has always done a good job of creating a wide variety of games a la Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank, Lair, Heavenly Sword, etc. 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Should he implement this engine to play mini-games? I honestly think the Wii has the least diverse portfolio of all the systems. Microsoft is doing WAY better this generation about creating more than FPS's and Sony has always done a good job of creating a wide variety of games a la Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank, Lair, Heavenly Sword, etc.

For the record, Carmack stated back in March that id would be looking at porting their older engines to Wii if there was a demand from license holders for a 3D FPS engine. There is no reason that id Tech 3 could not run on the Wii.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157781 

"We have a bunch of brands and maybe we'll look at partnering with somebody with some of our older technology that really would push the limits of the Wii and look at our brands and which are appropriate. See which makes sense, and this version of our technology would look better than any other Wii game out there. We would modify it to make sure things made sense and add things in where possible, because the Wii is a fairly new graphics card, even if it's no a very powerful machine. So there are things we could do to make it look great."

It's going to be an FPS

That sounds pretty cool. Hopefully the new game is not like Doom 3, because that game sucked.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

just like the unreal engine is a shooter engine (looks at square enix) this will be a fps engine. in other words it has nothing to do with the genre, it justs renders everything in great detail and makes it really easy for artists to work while programmers do their work.

and this engine sounds unbelievably awesome. if they can use some really good compression techniques than this could be the engine to use. 20 gigs is a bit much for a level (they could use less, but the engine makes the levels cost a lot of memory).

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

That question alone proves you are not the expert you claim to be when it comes to video games.

Bodhesatva said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

He created Doom. Basically one of two or three people most responsible for the birth of the First Person Shooter genre in the 90s.

Nowadays, he's known for his in depth knowledge of cutting edge graphics, and is most noted because he comes at those graphics from a developer perspective. Instead of a Microsoft/Sony person telling us why they're hardware is so awesome, he explains how it feels to actually be writing for different platforms.

His base of operations is still the PC, as far as I know, and the Mac/360/PS3 development branches off from there. Doom 3 was their last project.

Not just doom, but that's a good start.  Here's some info from Wikipedia:

"John D. Carmack II (born August 20, 1970) is a widely recognized figure in the video game industry. A prolific American programmer, Carmack co-founded id Software, a computer game development company, in 1991. Carmack was the lead programmer of the highly successful id computer games Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, and subsequent sequels to Doom and Quake. His revolutionary programming techniques, combined with the unique game designs of John Romero, led to a mass-popularization of the first-person shooter genre (FPS) in the 1990s."

Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

My Ghaude.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

That question alone proves you are not the expert you claim to be when it comes to video games.

I would invite you to provide any single piece of evidence proving I had ever made a claim of anything to the effect of being an expert on video games?

From what I have learned about him here, I'm not terribly impressed nor do I even see the need to know him for any valuable future reference.

he isnt an amazing game developer or anything famous in the likes of jaffe, shigy, or anyone like that. he is an amazing software engineer. he makes absolutely amazing engines as he has shown here. if it can run on the 360 than it is freaking crazy (cuz that means it can power the games on pc right now).

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.