By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - John CarmackDeveloping for PS3/360

Gballzack said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

That question alone proves you are not the expert you claim to be when it comes to video games.

I would invite you to provide any single piece of evidence proving I had ever made a claim of anything to the effect of being an expert on video games?

From what I have learned about him here, I'm not terribly impressed nor do I even see the need to know him for any valuable future reference.

Well, you are proving rather useless today, so I guess this statement goes along with that.

Around the Network
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

That question alone proves you are not the expert you claim to be when it comes to video games.

I would invite you to provide any single piece of evidence proving I had ever made a claim of anything to the effect of being an expert on video games?

From what I have learned about him here, I'm not terribly impressed nor do I even see the need to know him for any valuable future reference.

Well, you are proving rather useless today, so I guess this statement goes along with that.

Not a terribly constructive reply. Perhaps you should stop trying to pick fights and focus more on the topic at hand.

Gballzack said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

Not a terribly constructive reply. Perhaps you should stop trying to pick fights and focus more on the topic at hand.

Little hypocritical to respond and also have nothing to say, huh?  Why are you even bothering with this thread if you don't understand the significance of it?  Not impressed with the guy that designed Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake.  Well, that's just great.  Who's next, Miyamoto? 

windbane said:
Gballzack said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

Little hypocritical to respond and also have nothing to say, huh?  Why are you even bothering with this thread if you don't understand the significance of it?  Not impressed with the guy that designed Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake.  Well, that's just great.  Who's next, Miyamoto? 

What I had to say was to ask you to stop picking fights, simple as that. An opinion is an opinion, if you can't handle the fact other people aren't going to agree with you all the time, then perhaps this isn't the place for you. As for Mr. Carmack, I'm honestly more impressed with Bungie's work on FPSs (and spare me the whole, "Bungie would even have been able to make Halo without the ground work set by Carmack" I seriously don't care). And isn't comparing this guy to Miyamoto just a tad much? Miyamoto is considered by many to be the father of modern video gaming, this guy at best can be called the father of the 1990s FPS.

All I ever did was ask who he was and was attacked without provokation. If you can't play nice, then perhaps you shouldn't be playing at all. You're the one who started this fight, don't try and act like I'm the one trolling here.

windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

People who dont care for fps are not going to know nor care about who John Carmack is. Plus normal people dont usually read the credits on anything be it a game or movie that doesnt mean they dont know games or movies.

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

Little hypocritical to respond and also have nothing to say, huh? Why are you even bothering with this thread if you don't understand the significance of it? Not impressed with the guy that designed Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake. Well, that's just great. Who's next, Miyamoto?

What I had to say was to ask you to stop picking fights, simple as that. An opinion is an opinion, if you can't handle the fact other people aren't going to agree with you all the time, then perhaps this isn't the place for you. As for Mr. Carmack, I'm honestly more impressed with Bungie's work on FPSs (and spare me the whole, "Bungie would even have been able to make Halo without the ground work set by Carmack" I seriously don't care). And isn't comparing this guy to Miyamoto just a tad much? Miyamoto is considered by many to be the father of modern video gaming, this guy at best can be called the father of the 1990s FPS.

All I ever did was ask who he was and was attacked without provokation. If you can't play nice, then perhaps you shouldn't be playing at all. You're the one who started this fight, don't try and act like I'm the one trolling here.

the difference between miyamoto and carmack is that they have different jobs. Miyamoto is a game designer, Carmack is a game engine programmer.

The similarity is that they are both regarded as the cream of the crop in their respective fields. Carmack's engines have been regarded as some of the best (id's games are usually just tech demos of their engines) and have been used for many types of games other than FPS's. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

marc said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

People who dont care for fps are not going to know nor care about who John Carmack is. Plus normal people dont usually read the credits on anything be it a game or movie that doesnt mean they dont know games or movies.

We're posting in a video games forum...I hardly call that normal.

I've never read credits for a videogame.  Most people know who that is. 

windbane said:
marc said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

Really? Most people? And how would you measure the extent of which such knowledge has penetrated any given populous? Funny how I've been scolded for allegedly making unsubstantiated claims such as this but you get a free ticket to make broad sweeping generalizaitons as fact. Also, video games don't equal FPSs so stop trying to act like knowing who this man is something that should be imprinted in a gamer's DNA. The guy made alot of games of one specific genre which achieved their key notority in the 90s (at which time the FPS genre was still its own sub-culture in many respects), yet you expect everyone to know religiously who he is and attack those who don't. Wonderful.

Gballzack said:
windbane said:
marc said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Who is John Carmack?

Really? Most people? And how would you measure the extent of which such knowledge has penetrated any given populous? Funny how I've been scolded for allegedly making unsubstantiated claims such as this but you get a free ticket to make broad sweeping generalizaitons as fact. Also, video games don't equal FPSs so stop trying to act like knowing who this man is something that should be imprinted in a gamer's DNA. The guy made alot of games of one specific genre which achieved their key notority in the 90s (at which time the FPS genre was still its own sub-culture in many respects), yet you expect everyone to know religiously who he is and attack those who don't. Wonderful.

I thought John Romero was the father of Wolfenstein and Doom.

mancandy said:
That sounds pretty cool. Hopefully the new game is not like Doom 3, because that game sucked.

Hey doom 3 was fun........ ......

But which was worse, the game Doom 3 or the movie Doom.