By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii & the 4 Types of Gamers (Great article on the 'Wii Bubble' theory)

Blue3 said:

Wiis capability is alot closer to the PS2/GC then the PS3/360 and thats the problem.    Just how well do you think Metroid and Galaxy will stack up to the likes of Uncharted or Rachet adn Clank ?

So what you're saying is that the DS bubble will burst any second too?

People play games because they're an enjoyable interactive experience, not for uber-realistic graphics. If better graphics were going to allow the PS3/XBox 360 to sell at a greater rate than the Wii why hasn't it began already? The PS3 and XBox 360 already have produced good games which look better than anything the Wii can produce. If uber-realistic graphics were all people cared about they why are PC gamers with high end systems so rare? You'd think that if people cared about graphics that much you couldn't walk into a Futureshop or Bestbuy without seeing several brands of computers each with dual graphics cards.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
shams said:

And everyone (writing these articles) seems to 'assume' that the Wii is a Gamecube/PS2 graphically. Its just not true. As expected, too many of the games out now are simply ports - quick cash ins. It won't be until Nintendo release Metroid, Galaxy & Smash will we have a better indication of just how powerful the Wii will be graphically.

Its not going to catch up to the 360/PS3 - but I don't think it has to. What it will do, is proof conclusively that its more powerful than a GC/Xbox/PS2. And consumers will be very happy about the graphics that come out of this little "duct-taped" GC.

Wiis capability is alot closer to the PS2/GC then the PS3/360 and thats the problem. Just how well do you think Metroid and Galaxy will stack up to the likes of Uncharted or Rachet adn Clank ?

Metroid and Galaxy will stand up to Uncharted and ratchet in the same way that Wiisports and Rayman RR currently stand up to Resistance and Motorstorm.

So basically, they will stand up in the only way that matters, sales. And graphics wont make any difference with those FUTURE games the same way they arent mattering NOW.

I love how you try and act like there isnt ALREADY a massive divide in graphics lol. The divide is ALREADY HERE, and its NOT having any effect. Wii sports characters dont even have arms! The graphical divide is already as big as it will ever be. Ever.

Blue3 said:
shams said:

And everyone (writing these articles) seems to 'assume' that the Wii is a Gamecube/PS2 graphically. Its just not true. As expected, too many of the games out now are simply ports - quick cash ins. It won't be until Nintendo release Metroid, Galaxy & Smash will we have a better indication of just how powerful the Wii will be graphically.

Its not going to catch up to the 360/PS3 - but I don't think it has to. What it will do, is proof conclusively that its more powerful than a GC/Xbox/PS2. And consumers will be very happy about the graphics that come out of this little "duct-taped" GC.

Wiis capability is alot closer to the PS2/GC then the PS3/360 and thats the problem. Just how well do you think Metroid and Galaxy will stack up to the likes of Uncharted or Rachet adn Clank ?

Its completely irrelevant. There have been numerous threads about this, so I won't go over it again - but:

1/ 3D Graphics reached the point where they are "good enough" with the PS2

2/ It has been shown time, and time again - that pretty gfx do NOT sell hardware (or ensure its success).

Couple this with the fact that the Wii is selling to CASUAL gamers (i.e. people who have never owned a previous console) and its even more irrelevant.

What matters is what the Wii can do - not that it can't do as much as a 360/PS3. And yet again - if people are purely gfx whores - stick to PCs (and many of them do).

And as someone mentioned, look at sales figures. Motorstorm has sold the SAME number of units as ExciteTruck or Sonic (& secret rings) have in the US.

And one final point...

Look at the sales of the Wii vrs PS3 at the moment. Look at the graphics of the average Wii title vrs average PS3 title.. (that are available at the moment).

IMO, the Wii is going to have a much more significantly improvement of graphics (in % terms) than the PS3 will (over the coming years). This is primarily because the average Wii title at the moment is simply a ported PS2 title.

By the end of the year, we'll see some better Wii & better PS3 titles - and the difference in quality will be LESS than it will at the moment. How this is going to help the PS3 catch up, I'm not exactly sure...

(the PS3 is going to end up with games with more geometry & more stable frame rates - whereas Wii titles will end up with lots of shader effects, much nicer textures, more geometry etc - compared to now).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

It is so obvious that Blue3 didn't even read the thread.

what would I be classed as anyway?

I follow the industry but only buy the top inhouse titles by Nintendo

Wii number: 2758-1649-6225-4782

Click here to level up my license!

Around the Network

Excellent, Source.

I like breakdowns like that. Very detailed and accurate. Great argument material.

Under these definitions I am under #1 but I can see the perspectives of the other 3. And no the bubble won't burst.

Not until the 8th generation gets up and running anyway.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

While I agree with your 4 types of gamers, I would like to point out that missing from your section is Loyalists and Fanboys. While both classes are considered to have sever brand loyalty they are just as important as all of the other groups named. I know I for example fall under the Loyalist type of gamer, I guess their are plenty of different types of gamers so i can see why you may have skipped over them.

So why did you choose to leave out Loyalists and Fanboys?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer