By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii & the 4 Types of Gamers (Great article on the 'Wii Bubble' theory)

I think casual gamers can actually be divided even more. There are some that just use consoles to play either a soccer Sim, a football sim, a racing sim or something like that. I have 2 cousins with a ps2. One of them has only bought Winning Eleven for it. The other has GTA SA, Bully, CoD, WE and Top Spin. The first is the one-game casual, the 2nd one is the casual that was talked in the article. I think that the Wii has already snagged every single person in the first group, or will when games like WE, MySims, etc are released.

Around the Network

1 thing we can all agree on is the simplicity of Wii controllers, which every kind of fanboy you are.

That point alone is a big seller. When you have a party and got friends coming over for a few hours. You don't want those not familiar with gaming spend the first hr to learn to use the controller and the then leave for the day. It's all about quick "dirty" fun. At least, that's the main reason that I will be getting a Wii next year when i move to another house. (We already got 1 at this house)

My choice of gaming system are PC and DS. Wii will be for guests :)

The bubble will burst in July. And then in August, people will start buying christmas presents, so it starts inflating again! Eventually the Wii will have sold 80 million consoles, and then the bubble will burst.

And a bunch of MONEY will fly out of the bubble!

z64dan said:
The bubble will burst in July. And then in August, people will start buying christmas presents, so it starts inflating again! Eventually the Wii will have sold 80 million consoles, and then the bubble will burst.

And a bunch of MONEY will fly out of the bubble!

lots of money

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

steven787 said:

The true hardcore are always itching for some new way to play.

QFT

I think you could add another category - the technophile. These are early adopters of everything, but are not so much interested in gaming as they are in specs, which is what distinguishes them from the "hardcore gamer." They are the ones more likely to wonder how a system with 480p can beat one with 1080p and BRDVD.

Around the Network
misterd said:
steven787 said:

The true hardcore are always itching for some new way to play.

QFT

I think you could add another category - the technophile. These are early adopters of everything, but are not so much interested in gaming as they are in specs, which is what distinguishes them from the "hardcore gamer." They are the ones more likely to wonder how a system with 480p can beat one with 1080p and BRDVD.

Back at you, QFT.  I think those outside of gaming and the enthusiast (another gaming archetype, that was left out) often confuse Hardcore with the Technophile.  The "Hardcore" are some of the worst gaming consumers, they buy very few titles, usually ones that score 9+.  To me the real hardcore are the ones who play lots of different games and appreciate the effort that goes into making them.  They are the ones who play the Katamaris, the Halos, and maybe even a sports game or movie game.  The real hardcore like to play different types of games and play as many games as possible.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

MEhh

was expecting numbers breakdown, not just a opinon/defenition of the markets.

I don't think there is a chance in hell the Wii bubble will burst. The games haven't even *started* arriving yet, and once they do... the Wii will continue to sell out for maybe another 12 months, and maybe longer (unless Nintendo can start cranking out 2m/month soon).

And everyone (writing these articles) seems to 'assume' that the Wii is a Gamecube/PS2 graphically. Its just not true. As expected, too many of the games out now are simply ports - quick cash ins. It won't be until Nintendo release Metroid, Galaxy & Smash will we have a better indication of just how powerful the Wii will be graphically.

I have been extremely impressed with some of the screenshots coming out for some the newer Wii titles (esp. Smash). Also consider that this is still all first generation Wii (and in many cases, not even that - as they are quick GC ports).

Its not going to catch up to the 360/PS3 - but I don't think it has to. What it will do, is proof conclusively that its more powerful than a GC/Xbox/PS2. And consumers will be very happy about the graphics that come out of this little "duct-taped" GC.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

And everyone (writing these articles) seems to 'assume' that the Wii is a Gamecube/PS2 graphically. Its just not true. As expected, too many of the games out now are simply ports - quick cash ins. It won't be until Nintendo release Metroid, Galaxy & Smash will we have a better indication of just how powerful the Wii will be graphically.

Its not going to catch up to the 360/PS3 - but I don't think it has to. What it will do, is proof conclusively that its more powerful than a GC/Xbox/PS2. And consumers will be very happy about the graphics that come out of this little "duct-taped" GC.

Wiis capability is alot closer to the PS2/GC then the PS3/360 and thats the problem.    Just how well do you think Metroid and Galaxy will stack up to the likes of Uncharted or Rachet adn Clank ?

Blue3 said:
shams said:

Wiis capability is alot closer to the PS2/GC then the PS3/360 and thats the problem. Just how well do you think Metroid and Galaxy will stack up to the likes of Uncharted or Rachet adn Clank ?

Graphically, not very well. Gameplay and sales wise, very well ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957