By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why companies arent considering nintendo direct competition?

thekitchensink said:
Million said:
fkusumot said:
Gearbox said:

The thing is, is that during the time of the two generation flops, they had almost the ENTIRE handheld market. No company dared enter it then. Now however SONY has a nice stake, thats growing, in the handheld market. This helps SONY in two ways, first it gives them a fall back if their consoles fail, and if Nintendo's next Gen consoles fail, their handheld market will not be anywhere near the size of what it used to be. Nintendo is shrinking, and if they don't win this Gen, then they will SLOWLY fade away. None of the three companies will just give up.

However, Microsoft has already said they will not continue the Xbox, so unless they make something new they've basically said they give up.

Nintendo is shrinking? Your analysis is worse than Million's.

You use a sentence to dismiss my analysis thinking that's adequet enough to mean anything ? I'm requesting that you respond to my poor analysis with your all powerfull skills of anaylysis.

First, allow me to sum up Fkus' argument for him:

First, I have to ask what your definition of the word 'shrinking' is.  Because to me, it means 'becoming smaller in scope or size.'  For the first time ever, a Nintendo console has outsold its'  predecessor.  Not only that, but it outsold its' predecessor, which had been commercially viable for 5 years, in just over one year.  It is on track, statistically, to far surpassing any system they've ever made in their 25-odd years in this business.  You can argue that you don't think it will outsell PS2, yadayadayada, but if you are the type who thinks this, you're also the type who would have laughed your ass off last generation if I even made such a comparison.

Any logical person would see this as tremendous growth in itself, but there's more.  They ALSO have the most popular handheld device of all time.  It is approximately 10 million away from outselling its' own predecessor, the Game Boy Advance, in many years less time.  There's a high chance it will even beat the original Game Boy, which had over 120 million install base, at the record pace its' selling.

So, to sum up, they are the market leader in both consoles and handhelds.  They are on track to selling better than anything else they have ever made, and are going for the gold medal for 'Highest-Selling Game System Ever'.

So, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear your 'shrinking' definition.

As for your other 'points':

-" The thing is, is that during the time of the two generation flops, they had almost the ENTIRE handheld market. No company dared enter it then."

That's because many had tried previously.

-Atari Lynx

-Sega Game Gear (The best competitor before PSP)

-TurboExpress (A portable TurboGrafX-16)

-game.com (Not a web-site, pronounced 'game com')

-Neo Geo

-WonderSwan

-Nokia N-Gage

These were all systems backed by big companies, most of whom were competitors in the console business as well.  These systems, too, promised to 'make the console experience portable'.  Like the PSP, these competitors all got their asses handed to them.

-"However, Microsoft has already said they will not continue the Xbox, so unless they make something new they've basically said they give up."

Where to start?  This is just completely, 100% incorrect.

I really have to wonder if you've ever considered doing the slightest bit of research (like actually reading the forums) before you post.  They literally JUST stated that they will definitely be making another Xbox console.

Microsoft: The 360 will be selling for a looooong, long time.
06/19/08, 21:09

So, to sum it all up:

Erm if your going to analyse my analysis and post an "epic fail picture" then at least comment on something I posted....maybe ?

How ironic.

@fku  You obviously don't understand my point I won't bother arguing with you.

Around the Network
Million said:

Apparently no one understood your point which makes it all pointless.

angrypoolman said:

is it just because nintendo is destroying them with the sales of the wii and the ds? is this the only reason? their arguments for the wii is that its not hd. while i can actually understand what theyre saying with this argument, they take it a step further, and say that the ds isnt direct competition with the psp just because its advertised as just a 'games machine'

is this a new level of defeat that has never before been seen in the gaming industry? or are sony and microsoft just sore losers?

to be honest, its the sony side spouting off this kind of stuff, because microsoft seems like they kind of have known their place ever since the xbox. they would be lucky to even keep up with the other two.. but i am just kind of confused here.

Because Nintendo themselves are saying they arent competing with them.

End of discussion.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

fkusumot said:
Million said:

Chizrum agreed with my point ,  I guess he and I are the only one's stupid enough to do so.

because they are losing??

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network
Million said:
fkusumot said:
Million said:

Chizrum agreed with my point ,  I guess he and I are the only one's stupid enough to do so.

Actually he didn't. I guess you didn't read past his first sentence.

Because that's what losers always say.

I can't believe there's still some morons calling the Wii a fad.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Million said:

Let's see if I do understand your point and fkusumot's rebuttal.

You believe that if Nintendo was to flop the next two generations they would be effectively dead whereas Sony and MS, while not making their shareholder happy, would be fine.

After being pointed out that Nintendo did flop the last two generation you tried to change the definition of a flop so as to consider them successful, just less so than the PS1 and PS2.

So let's define some parameters here:

2 generations is 10 years (the last 3 generations of Nintendo home consoles came every 5 years).

A flop can be defined by comparison to MS as to my knowledge they are the only company to lose so much money on such a consistent basis in the videogame market. So let's say a flop is losing about 1 Billion $ a year as that is the nice round number bandied about to signify MS's deep loss in the vg market (it is actually more on average but 1 billion should be way more than enough to set the bar for a flop).

A dollar is about 100 Yens. I might be a litle more or a little less now but it can change either way over a decade and it tend to be within 10% of 100Y of a dollar so let's not quibble and use that as our benchmark.

So Nintendo would, according to you, be efffectively dead if they had two flops in a row that is if Nintendo lost 10 billion $ or 1000 billion yens over a period of 10 years.

Now this link: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2008/080424e.pdf

tells us on page 7 that as of FY08 Nintendo's current assets are 1,646 billion yens and on page 8 that their current liabilities are 567 billions yens so the difference is 1,079 yens.

So with just the money Nintendo has either in the bank or can/will have it shortly in the bank and after deducting what Nintendo has to pay they already have enough money to lose $1 billion a year and still be well and truly alive. Of course if they were to flop for a third generation they would eventually run out of money but given at the speed at which they are earning money with the DS+Wii combo they probably will have enough money before the end of this generation to flop 3 generations in a row.

So while Nintendo might only have videogames to rely on at the moment their short and medium term future in the videogame market is in no term uncertain, it is actually more certain than Sony's (less money available and more liabilities makes them less likely to withstand one generation with losses of 1 billion a year, let alone 2 gens as can be seen by their newfound focus on achieving profitability instead of marketshare) and Microsoft's (they have the money but with Sony's marketshare emasculated by the Wii they might lose the main reason behind the Xbox and continuing losses in that context will be harder for shareholders to swallow).

On the other hand, Nintendo having both the money to sweat out 2 flops and the drive to do so (because they have no other business outside of videogames to fall back to so they are more likely to stick with it than abandon it to focus on other, more profitable, divisions as they don't have any), it is rather safe to say that they will still be a player in the videogame market 10 years from now.

Now did I misunderstand your point (or fkusumot's, though I just know I didn't misunderstood him as his makes sense)? If so you might want to rephrase it as I took your point ot be what you wrote, not what you meant as I cannot read your mind.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Sri Lumpa said:

[*Nice Analysis Deleted*]

Now did I misunderstand your point (or fkusumot's, though I just know I didn't misunderstood him as his makes sense)? If so you might want to rephrase it as I took your point ot be what you wrote, not what you meant as I cannot read your mind.

Nice job Sri Lumpa. I'd also point out that Microsoft's losses where actually more like startup costs for buying into an industry where they didn't have a foothold yet. Nintendo's financial report is some interesting reading.

nintendo is selling apples, everyone else is selling different types of oranges....completely different product and demographic

(this is a metaphor) haha