By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wall Street analysts comments on the NPD v VGChartz debate

NPD should have recognized the potential which could have lead to a mutually beneficial partnership instead of burning the only bridge out of town and slowing realizing the extent of their mistake.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

nice read

Viper1 said:
NPD should have recognized the potential which could have lead to a mutually beneficial partnership instead of burning the only bridge out of town and slowing realizing the extent of their mistake.

Bingo. NPD is getting disrupted by VGC (even if we don't mean to) and they have no good response without destroying their business model. Remember, the only reason NPD releases monthly figures to the public is because Nintendo MS and Sony begged them to.

Good job VGChartz!

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

I remember when I first entered into video game journalism I contacted NPD about purchasing their monthly video game data. I was told they don't sell the data to the media and the cost is ~20k (though they offer the top 10 for free to major media outlets).

VGC's free dissemination of data is a stark contrast to my first professional encounter with NPD. Their entire video game sales market hinges on the validity of VGC as a provider of sales data.

Media Create, Famitsu, Chart Track, GfK, Dataspelsbranschen, etc...would do well to not follow the folly of NPD and work with VGC.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Galaki said:
If I were NDP and some dude comes around nerfing my cash cow, I sure as hell would smear their rep.

Isn't it obvious?

Maybe, but sure as hell that were VGC too a big corporation, its lawyers would make NPD bleed money for this.

Anyhow, let's enjoy the cruel but amusing show of ioi's devilish face throwing NPD into a panic. 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Wow ... VGC had grown fast ... great article , and I take my hat down in front of VGC :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Nice, good news. so ioi will you sell the site if you got an offer?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Nice, good news. so ioi will you sell the site if you got an offer?

it'd be a pretty hard transaction, since he'd also have to sell all of his sources

The response from NPD is just plain hillarious. They act like our site is unprofessional and uses unsuitable means to collect data, yet they act completely unprofessional and are not upfront at all with their numbers.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Desroko said:
How could NPD not foresee a service like VGC arising? Blogs have been driving the old media batty for at least five years, and this situation is analogous.

Old business dinosaurs never see the new model arising in front of them, especially if it is a completely different model.  The NPD has a business model that works, so why would they assume a better business model would arise that could obsolete them.  The idea of a site like VGChartz forming would have been unfathomable even a few years ago by a company like NPD.

Don't get me wrong.  The NPD won't be obsolete.  But for some customers, they'll have to compete more aggressively.  This is a headache for them, because they either shrink the size of their client pool, they adjust their prices, or they adjust their services.  Of course, they *should* be able to open their methodologies and match VGChartz for services but it isn't easy making changes.

NPD will be fine, but they'll run into new challanges.  To be fair, predicting something like VGChartz requires understanding the way the Internet makes available the ability to immerse yourself into your interests and share them with the world.  The bottom line is that there exist people who are willing to do something like VGChartz for free -- at least at first -- and once their service becomes viable they're able to switch to a profitable company.

I don't know if VGChartz pays ioi's bills yet, but it will in the future if he continues doing what he's doing and continues improving the service.