By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think R* should make a Wii version of GTAIV?

With GTAIV not pushing as much consoles as we thought it would, I believe a Wii version is a must if R*/Take-Two want to reach Vice City/San Andreas level sales with GTAIV. The Wii is the hot system right now and I believe is the system that is getting majority of the PS2 userbase. I believe that the PS3/360 systems are simply too expensive and out of the GTA fanbase price range and with gas prices ever rising and forcing general living expenses up with it, money is becoming incresingly tight. I believe a Wii version of GTAIV to be in the best interests of Take Two and GTA.

What are you guys thoughts on this?

Around the Network

GTA will never go on the Wii; it goes against one of its selling points (Children friendly gaming). GTA is everything that is an over protiective mother's worst nightmare: Violence, Sex, Drugs and Crime. Even if they wanted to water down the game for a Wii version Nintendo would have a hard decision on their hands.

No they shouldn't.

No. I'd prefer a Wii version of GTA5, built from the ground up to exploit its unique strengths, rather than a cheap port.

Ssyn said:
GTA will never go on the Wii; it goes against one of its selling points (Children friendly gaming). GTA is everything that is an over protiective mother's worst nightmare: Violence, Sex, Drugs and Crime. Even if they wanted to water down the game for a Wii version Nintendo would have a hard decision on their hands.

Fatal Frame, Resident Evil 4 etc.. goes against (Children friendly gaming) and yet they are on the console. I believe that Nintendo have passed the "kiddy" image now and have moved into the "console for EVERYONE" category. GTAIV has reached 1.8mil out of 5mil PS3 owners which is over 33%, I don't think the PS3 version of the game can go much longer as the userbase has caught up with it. The 360 has a bit to go but still falls WELL SHORT of San Andreas/Vice City numbers. So obviously those users don't own PS3 or 360's yet and with the PS3 and 360 hardly setting sales alight I feel that Take Two need to think about alternatives.

There is nothing to lose in trying.

Around the Network
Xponent said:
No. I'd prefer a Wii version of GTA5, built from the ground up to exploit its unique strengths, rather than a cheap port.

Of course, anybody would, but that's not practical at this point in time and when GTA5 time comes it should go everywhere and therefore odds of focusing on Wii will still be minimal if GTAIV is PC/PS3/360 exclusive.

Ssyn said:

Yeah, that's why No More Heroes wasn't released on the Wii, why Nintendo didn't show Red Steel during E3 06, why Godfather Wii Edition wasn't allowed to have a control feature where you'd choke someone by literally micking that action with the Wiimote and nunchuck, and probably why they aren't making Disaster: Day of Crisis. Those violent, non children friendly games are definitely not what Nintendo wants. Oh wait.

But to expand on what I said, it's more that GTA4 wasn't made for the Wii, so porting it wouldn't work. They need to design the game to cater to what the Wii does best, and that's it's controls. Godfather Wii almost seemed to be made for Wii controls. GTA4 may not have these types of game elements that would work so well on the Wii, for instance, choking someone buy shaking the controllers in front of you like you were literally strangling someone. I would say if they were to make a GTA game, they should make a semi-spin off type of game. Since the stories of the series aren't completely tied together (though some characters appear in later games), you could do a side story pretty easily.

Simply porting GTA4 to the Wii? No.

Building a GTA game from the ground up for the Wii, to utilitize the controls to their max, yes. That would work.

id prefer gta2 on xbl

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Now a game like GTA4 sure wouldn't look too good for the family friendly console now would it?

Stever89 said:
Ssyn said:

Yeah, that's why No More Heroes wasn't released on the Wii, why Nintendo didn't show Red Steel during E3 06, why Godfather Wii Edition wasn't allowed to have a control feature where you'd choke someone by literally micking that action with the Wiimote and nunchuck, and probably why they aren't making Disaster: Day of Crisis. Those violent, non children friendly games are definitely not what Nintendo wants. Oh wait.

But to expand on what I said, it's more that GTA4 wasn't made for the Wii, so porting it wouldn't work. They need to design the game to cater to what the Wii does best, and that's it's controls. Godfather Wii almost seemed to be made for Wii controls. GTA4 may not have these types of game elements that would work so well on the Wii, for instance, choking someone buy shaking the controllers in front of you like you were literally strangling someone. I would say if they were to make a GTA game, they should make a semi-spin off type of game. Since the stories of the series aren't completely tied together (though some characters appear in later games), you could do a side story pretty easily.

Simply porting GTA4 to the Wii? No.

Building a GTA game from the ground up for the Wii, to utilitize the controls to their max, yes. That would work.

I second that.