By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predict LittleBigPlanet's launch week software sales and hardware boost.

I... don't see this having a boosting effect in hardware.

Well not in a measurable... big boost once retail hits.

If anything i'd expect it to start out average, and to sell systems down the line...

Around the Network
leo-j said:
520k?

I expect no less than 1 million.

You guys underestimate LBP.

Or you overestimate it like every damn PS3 exclusive.

Here's an idea: Don't set impossibly high stardards on every exclusive and maybe you won't be so disappointed and cry about it being undertracked every time.

My Guess:

First week software = 280k (Expect very low in Japan, a bit higher in Others than America)

First week hardware = Unnoticable change unless due to other reasons

little big planet will recive 10`s across the board, its totally unique and there isnt anything that can out class it on any platform. could possibly be GOTY and mabey one of the greatest games ever made!

hardware

• EU : 300k
  • NA : 400k
  • JP  : 300k-350k

software

• EU : 600k
  • NA : 500k-550k
  • JP  : 400k

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

little big planet will recive 10`s across the board, its totally unique and there isnt anything that can out class it on any platform. could possibly be GOTY and mabey one of the greatest games ever made!

hardware

• EU : 300k
  • NA : 400k
  • JP : 300k-350k

software

• EU : 600k
  • NA : 500k-550k
  • JP : 400k

Because you've obviously played it, and thus you're qualified to give an accurate, unbiased review. Also, lol @ the PS3 selling 1 million in a week. MGS4 could barely eke out a third of that, and that is/was a more hyped game.

The hype around this game reminds me of the hype around Viva Pinata for the X360. Anyone else remember how that game was supposed to open up the 360 to "the casuals"?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I think LBP will sell... okay... I think you guys are over estimating it reception by the PS3's hardcore fanbase... 350k WW.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Of all games that are overhyped, I think Little Big Planet ends up having the most people who have unrealistic expectations for how it will sell ...

It seems to me like it is a 2D platformer that gains its depth because of its use of an advanced physics engine; 2D platformers are not particularly popular on home console's anymore and few people (outside of very-dedicated 'geeky' gamers) really understand the difference between advanced physics and scripted behavior. The graphics are nice but the artistic style is overly cute, in particular for a game being released on a platform where the vast majority of million selling games are "Mature" or sports games; I personally know gamers who buy in this patter who refuse to buy Mario or Zelda because they're too "Kiddy" even though they're two of the best games of the generation. It is currently scheduled to be released in October where it will face (at least) 10 high profile games which more closely match the buying habits of PS3 owners, and (at least) 5 games which would appeal (in some way) to the smaller demographic of PS3 owners looking for games like this; unless Sony drop $20+ Million marketing Little Big Planet it will simply get lost in the mix.

BUMPED BECAUSE THE SONY HATERS NEED TO F**KING UNDERSTAND THAT LBP EXCEEDED MOST PEOPLES EXPECTATIONS (BAR A FEW HARDCORE SONY FANS).

MOST PEOPLE PREDICTED WAY UNDER 500K FOR FIRST WEEK.

ACTUAL FIRST WEEK, 530K.

THANK YOU AND GOOD F**KING NIGHT!

tombi123 said:
BUMPED BECAUSE THE SONY HATERS NEED TO F**KING UNDERSTAND THAT LBP EXCEEDED MOST PEOPLES EXPECTATIONS (BAR A FEW HARDCORE SONY FANS).

MOST PEOPLE PREDICTED WAY UNDER 500K FOR FIRST WEEK.

ACTUAL FIRST WEEK, 530K.

THANK YOU AND GOOD F**KING NIGHT!

Most people who predicted sub 500k where non-sony fanboys....

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

@ gebx

PDF, MM, and the OP are all PS3 fans and predicted under 500k.

I predicted 500k.

The reality is that it did in line with many people's expectations.

This is just one thread amongst dozens that were created. You have to admit there was an unreal amount of hype for this game on these forums.