By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to announce new BREAK APART PS3 controller at E3?

Full Text:

No no no. Not that kind of breakage!

Sony is working on a new "break-apart" controller for the PlayStation 3, which will contain an accelerometer for motion-sensing functionality.

There is no announcement date set for the device, but GameIndustry.biz confirmed Monday that working units have already shipped to certain developers, according to their sources.

The original PS3 controller, called SIXAXIS, also had motion control, although to date the functionality has had dubious results with developers and players alike (see also: GamePro's Lair review).

Still, the news is indicative of a me-too trend with two of the three next-gen console companies. Nintendo has had two-handed motion sensing from the onset, of course, but just this year there have been several unconfirmed reports that Microsoft is already well underway developing a motion sensing "stick" called Newton. So far five separate reports have mentioned the device, which Microsoft continues to deny.

Sony also declined to comment on the PS3 device, although an announcement is expected at July's E3 conference.

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=6064

mM
Around the Network

All I can say to that is LOL phail.

jumping on the bandwaggon much? :D

If they're going to try a third controller redesign this generation, one would hope that the third time is the charm and that Sony will wake up and move that bloody left analog up and over where it belongs.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Its only a rumor, I dont expect any announcement, but it would be intersting.

mM
Around the Network

To be fair, the break-apart design is good for ergonomics. Whatever else can be said about the Wii Remote, it's the most comfortable controller to hold in years. It would also give a boost to motion control on account of having a better shape, but developers and PS3 users have already rejected it as too far outside of the cookie cutter anyway, so that doesn't really matter.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

I like this idea.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Wasn't this reported and debunked by Sony a few weeks ago?

It wont succeed. Nothing I've heard has sounded too appealing.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

But the controller doesn't make the game, graphics do!!!111!!11!!!!111one!!!! Wait... hmmm...

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009