By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The only opinion about MGSIV that matters

Bladeneo said:
rocketpig said:
scottie said:

Mine!

My friend made the mistake of bringing his PS3 down to my room to use my larger tv, so I've been playing a bit of MGSIV and here are the thoughts I had, in chronological order

* Wow, PS3's are big (it hadn't been turned on yet, so I had little else to go off - you dont appreicate how big they are until you pt them next to a Wii)

* Ooh, pretty graphics (I mostly game on my Wii, and own a Mac with decent stats) the game looks very nice

* Wow, the cutscenes are very long - but they are well done, and interesting so i like it

* Sneaking is fun

*Shit, he's spotted me (now to remember how to use dual anaogue sticks)

*Ow, I'm dead, combat is really clunky

Anyway, act 1 finished, I really like the game, it has good graphics, music, and gameplay, the weapon are good and varied.

However, I dislike the controls and feel that the game may get a bit repetitive unless they shake things up in later acts

Also, apparently this isn't true later in the game or on hard difficulty, but you can essentially get through Act 1 by simply running as fast as you can towards the target.

In conclusion, any game reviewer that gives the game a 7/10 is a tool, as in one who gives it a 10/10

Unlike you, I really like the controls but I guarantee you one thing:

Kojima mixes this game up a lot. You do everything short of playing a Chess mini-game against God.

Haha, that make me laugh considerably. However, would it have surprised everyone if that actually happened? Kojima is a genius.

Wouldn't surprise me either. Kojima knows how to rip of ideas from other people.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:
What difficulty are you playing on?

The controls are a little slow, but I think that is because you are meant to be precise in your shooting and not get into frantic battles. My main issue is with the close quaters combat, because I have not really worked out that actual moves. My other problem is with apparantly respawning enemies (it seems that way) which is only stopped by you walking to a particular spot

People use CQC? Really?

I've used it once in the entire game... Because I had to. Anyone who has played the game knows the part I'm talking about.

I don't really, but sometimes they sneak up on me without me realising and that is my problem. I have used it once in the fight on top of the APC with the zombie like people at the end of act II (why were they like that, what was liquid doing with the SOP) (spoilers if you have not played upto act III)

Munkeh111 said:
What difficulty are you playing on?

The controls are a little slow, but I think that is because you are meant to be precise in your shooting and not get into frantic battles. My main issue is with the close quaters combat, because I have not really worked out that actual moves. My other problem is with apparantly respawning enemies (it seems that way) which is only stopped by you walking to a particular spot

The 2nd most difficult one, it said it was the default for Europe and NA

I found the only way I could do well at combat was short-medium distance with the .45 pistol. I couldn't use the M4 at all (besides spray and pray) and the snipe was useless due to respawning enemies

Looking forward to Act 3 then, not sure when I'll get to it, as I'm in exam period atm

@ scottie, i have got most use out of the assault rifles, they do work well at long range, and the short range stuff is generally my issue

The controls can be a little complicated, but they're easier than MGS2 and 3.

I like to go the non-lethal route as much as I can

Around the Network

I'm with you Illegal :P One IMPORTANT thing to remember, if you get knocked down, just use L1 to shoot them while on the floor :P It makes life infinitely easier XD

I actually really REALLY liked the re-spawning enemies, it made the stealth so much harder to manage XD Certain areas in that game almost seem impossible to not get seen...

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM said:
I'm with you Illegal :P One IMPORTANT thing to remember, if you get knocked down, just use L1 to shoot them while on the floor :P It makes life infinitely easier XD

I actually really REALLY liked the re-spawning enemies, it made the stealth so much harder to manage XD Certain areas in that game almost seem impossible to not get seen...

I thought they went the wrong route with that in a stealth game.  The way the AI acts when you are on the ground is nothing short of retarded.  They should have just had them kill you when you got knocked down.  Instead, Snake becomes some sort of living ballistic jelly for a couple seconds while the enemies pump an entire clip into you from point blank range and then back away from you because clearly they were shooting at a minor, bullet proof, deity who then gets up, eats a cookie, and hunts down the infidels.  The game doesn't punish you enough for being a bull in a china shop making many parts of the game (non-boss battles) super easy for shooter players.

I give that post a 9.4. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

@prof

Try playing it at THE BOSS EXTREEME,

mM
ChronotriggerJM said:

I do try and just shoot them from the floor, but quite a lot of the time snake gets back up

leo-j said:
@prof

Try playing it at THE BOSS EXTREEME,

When I get the PS3 back, RP has it now, I'll give the higher difficulties a shot.  Part of the problem I had when I was playing the game was that I was overestimating the AI.  I kept assuming that they would see me when in fact Jerry's Kids were patrolling the streets.  The AI on normal was some of the worst I've seen.

I give that post a 9.6. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.