By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to buy Sega?

Microsoft poised to buy SEGA?

Are you an avid Xbox 360 gamer? If so, chances are you are also a member of the ‘old’ SEGA faithful.

It’s no secret that when SEGA fell out of the hardware market, most of the devout fans of ‘home of the hedgehog’ pledged allegiance to the Xbox brand. In part due to the early launch titles for the original Xbox - the classics ‘Panzer Dragoon Orta’ and ‘Jet Grind Radio’. Both niche titles brought the SEGA faithful over to Microsoft’s house for a party.

Much has changed over recent years though, with SEGA upping their release schedule across not just the Xbox brand, but also the Playstation and to a lesser extent, Nintendo consoles. This rather bulky release schedule helped SEGA rise from the ashes to become a once more successful part of the gaming front.

So it’s no surprise that rumours are once again circulating that Microsoft may be about to make a move for SEGA (now SEGA Sammy Corp). It’s certainly not the first time we’ve heard about such a move - the last mention of it being back in early 2004 when it was speculated upon on many industry sites such as The Register and Gamespot. When you think about it, such a move would make perfect sense.

Microsoft are expected to make a ’shocking and desperate’ announcement at this years E3 - all we know is that it will be software related and nothing to do with hardware. It’s also no secret that Microsoft has had a very hard time in Japan with the 360 - SEGA might be the very company to help turn that around.

SEGA has a huge back catalogue of titles that could be relied upon to help strengthen the Redmond giant in the land of the rising sun. Titles like Sonic, Daytona, Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally and of course the Panzer Dragoon series all have a serious following over there and having those exclusive to the Xbox platform would be a sure fire boost to the Xbox over the next few years. 

SEGA Sammy shares have taken a battering over the last two years, dropping from a high of 2050,40yn down to 1020,00yn this week - that effectively halves the market value of the group making it an ideal takeover target.

A buyout of SEGA Sammy would certainly be far cheaper than trying to take on Yahoo and would position Microsoft well for the release of the next Xbox console.

We’ve contacted Microsoft to ask if there is any truth to the rumour, but expect the usual ‘we do not comment on rumour and speculation’ in response.

Roll on E3!

source: http://www.xbox360wire.co.uk/2008/06/13/microsoft-poised-to-buy-sega/

/discuss!

I would do anything for a shenmue 3!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Please be true!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

>A buyout of SEGA Sammy would certainly be far cheaper than trying to take on Yahoo and would position Microsoft well for the release of the next Xbox console.

How does buying SEGA anything close to buying Yahoo??? Two completely different area of business.

if there's a company Microsoft needs to buy, it's Epic or Take 2. SEGA's casual games (half-assed no less) wont' help Microsoft all that much

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

King -

SEGA still has a decent marketing team/brand image in Japan.

As I've said since the Yahoo deal was even made public, if it fell through, MS needed to acquire a big Japanese studio like Sega or Namco.

It would make MS viable for next-gen in Japan.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

But SEGA makes good games? Not in 10 years.

Give me good example if Im wrong.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
King -

SEGA still has a decent marketing team/brand image in Japan.

As I've said since the Yahoo deal was even made public, if it fell through, MS needed to acquire a big Japanese studio like Sega or Namco.

It would make MS viable for next-gen in Japan.

SEGA, yes, still have very recongizable mascots, is no longer making good enough game to strengthen those names. Unlike Nintendo, those brands are no longer top names. Buying Sega is no different than buying mascot while you take in a whole lot of debts.

Yes, it will position them better in Japanese market for the future. While buying Epic or Take 2 can benefit them RIGHT NOW, as well as into the future.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Wow...I can't believe I actually want this to happen. I think it would be overkill for microsoft however, so many franchises...

A buyout of SEGA Sammy would certainly be far cheaper than trying to take on Yahoo and would position Microsoft well for the release of the next Xbox console.

Whoever wrote this doesn't have a clue about Microsoft and business at all. The idea that because the Yahoo takeover didn't work Sega might be a nice substitute is ridiculous beyond end. Really.
Microsofts core business is operating systems and internet. Period. Xbox is a way to get attached to peoples TV screens, to ensure that MS standards are applied there and also to prevent Sony from dominating the living room.

Buying Sega would be a bad decision. The franchises are valuable if they can be spread over several consoles. As 360 exclusives the games won't be as successful.
The cost of buying Sega can never be earned back on 360 alone and therefore I doubt that the shareholders will allow Microsoft to make such a takeover, outside their core business.

Good. Go Microsoft, I say. Buy Sega and start making them produce good games, rather than the crap they've been churning out for the past five years.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Please be a lie. Nintendo should buy SEGA, not M$.

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009