By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Development will favour PS3 in 2009, says Yoshida PART 1

Well an interview not too long ago with Kaz pointed out some details I thought were pretty sexy :) He mentioned trying to squeeze some extra content onto each disc for no extra charge, nothing really dealing with the game itself, but stuff like developer interviews, making of, out-takes, art gallery's etc etc etc. That and he was mentioned the obvious use of better surround sound and uncompressed audio/video and the likes, which in my opinion is definitely worth it's weight in gold :P I'd pick the PS3 version over the 360 any day of the week if it had any of those features ^^

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

Developers migrate to the systems with the larger share of the market. Its the most basic thing you need to know about the industry. Any claims that negate that are invalid.

bardicverse said:
Developers migrate to the systems with the larger share of the market. Its the most basic thing you need to know about the industry. Any claims that negate that are invalid.

I would think they would go to the system where they would sell the most software :P The Wii doesn't seem to be getting all that much as of recently ><

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM said:
bardicverse said:

I would think they would go to the system where they would sell the most software :P The Wii doesn't seem to be getting all that much as of recently ><

Well you are mostly right - they go to the platform where they have the biggest potential for sales, which is the system that has the highest userbase, aka market share. These statements have been said to death, but I'll briefly reiterate - it takes a few years to get a game to market. Games that are released this year started development at least 2 years ago. Studios that have shifted resources to Wii development last year and this year won't get their games to market until 2009/2010. Take MGS4 for example - they started development for the title before the PS3 was even launched, and it just came out recently. So, the studios that realized the Wii actually is a viable platform won't have games released at least for a year or 2, thus the lull this year. Only developers who  are making clones (madden, guitar hero, etc) can put out 1 year turnaround on games. All the other games coming out this year are either small casual games (easy development) or studios who decided to support the Wii before the system was launched.

guys everything he said is right.

1 - multiplatform games will become more PS3 oriantated. Its simply easier to port a game from PS3 to 360. Also once the process is done its easy to replicate.

2 - SONY originally wanted to get a new audience with PSP -- and Nintendo claimed they weren't in direct competion. The media hailed PSP as the greatest handheld. Now SONY says their not in direct competion. The media is saying -- umm ... my handhelds are collecting dust. And Nintendo still says their after a different market than SONY -- Nintendo wants casuals whom havent played games before ....

3 - This generation is different for 3rd party devs. Before consoles were all very simaliar. Xbox vx. PS2 vs. Gamecube -- which console is completly different from the others ? Compare it too this gen with Wii vs. 360 + PS3. The games which sell millions on Wii don't sell well on HD consoles. While games like CoD4 sell better on HD consoles and its cheaper for activision to pump out bad-game-that-sells-well-x on the Wii ....

Basically what im saying is. On the Wii shovelware sells. On the HD consoles it dosn't. Ofcourse good games like Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Mario Strickers, Paper Mario and some 3rd party games (RE4Wii, NMH, etc) sell well. But can they sell at CoD4 / GTA4 levels ??

As such while the Wii may win the hardware war i doubt it will dominate the industry like the PS2 did. Besides 360 and PS3 should outsell Xbox and GC... Wii vs. PS2 is hard though (How long will PS2 last ? Its at 130 mill shipped atm)

Around the Network

It wold be strange only if he had said the opposite of that.
He is a Sony's executive.
Not to mention that they said that 2008 would be PS3's year.................. yeahhhh, right.....

LOL. PSP not in competition with the DS... That's why the DS gets games like DQIX because they are not competing with one another. Right... stupid statement.

well....i can say its nice that they admit their games have been substandard compared to the 360.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

I don't want words I want actions, same goes for Nintendo.

@Lightning, they release DQIX on the DS as thats the fast and most selling platform in the world, that has nothing to do with competing with the PSP, which so far, sold less than half comparing to the DS. So competition between these two is basically "dead".

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

*~Onna76~* said:

I don't want words I want actions, same goes for Nintendo.

@Lightning, they release DQIX on the DS as thats the fast and most selling platform in the world, that has nothing to do with competing with the PSP, which so far, sold less than half comparing to the DS. So competition between these two is basically "dead".

Why the same for Nintendo??

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."