By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WHY DID MGS4 DO SO POORLY AGAINST HALO 3 ?

Halo is probably the most mainstream console shooter, its also quite a good shooter so it has quite a large userbase. MGS4 is quite hardcore so only a select few people comparitively apreciate it.

Apples/Oranges.

Tease.

Around the Network

How can you compare two games in a different genre? Why not compare....say....Brain training with Pro evo?

ZOMG BRAIN TRAINING SOLD MORE!!!!

Move on troll

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Rath said:
WHATS WITH ALL THE CAPS?

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

3 reasons.

A. PS3 has a smaller userbase.

B. MGS4 is less mainstream than Halo 3.

C. They hype for MGS4, while huge, was less frantic and viral.

That said, MGS4 still stacks up pretty well against it.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

reggie2 said:
jalsonmi said:
Soleron said:
Because Metal Gear Solid 4 is desirable to a smaller segment of the population than Halo 3. Same reason most games sell less than Halo 3.

QFT. As I've pointed out numerous times:

Halo: 6.43m
Halo 2: 8.46m
Halo 3: 7.94m

Metal Gear Solid: 5.59m
Metal Gear Solid 2: 5.56m
Metal Gear Solid 3: 3.98m

And this despite how many more PS1s and PS2s were sold than Xboxes and 360s. Halo has a wider audience. It's absurd to compare the two games. MGS4 was never going to sell as well as Halo 3, and it was never expected to do so. Well, maybe by a couple of Metal Gear fanboys that got ahead of themselves, but not by any rational person. Considering user base and relative popularity of the series, MGS4 did exactly as well as it should have done, and possibly a little better. At least 1.3m units week one (of course probably more since those are day one numbers) is a great feat and is a win for both the game and for PS3 in general. It's silly to try to belittle that feat with an argument that lacks any sense of perspective.

Absurd er ! I bet it wouldn't of been very absurd had those figures been the other way around.......

Halo does not have a wider audience, it's 360 only and only ever been on Xbox. MGS has been on just about every format going..

The only reason it wouldn't be absurd if those number were reversed is because that would show a general sales trend for both franchises indicative of the user base of their consoles. You could say "Halo doesn't sell as well as MGS, but that's because there are fewer XBoxes than there are PS2s." That argument doesn't exist since it's not switched and Halo actually sells better on a console with a smaller user base. If you're accusing bias you're way off base. If you look at my sig or my profile you might notice a preponderance of Nintendo systems and a complete lack of either Sony or MS systems. I consider my self pretty unbiased and able to appreciate what all three console makers do both right and wrong. But even if you could acuse me of having a horse in this race it's not one that is at all germaine to the argument at hand.

And you misconstrue what I mean by audience. The console user base has always been smaller for Halo, yes. That was my original point, as a matter of fact. It does better than MGS, historically, because it appeals to a wider audience and always has. Thus comparing the sales of the two most recent iterations in the franchise (and especially acting shocked that the results are any different than they have been historically) is both, as I said in my first post, absurd and lacking in perspective.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

Around the Network

Halo is so simple that anyone can play it. Point the gun. Pull the trigger. Stand still to recover health. Massive amounts of hype and "play for five minutes" satisfaction play a huge role too.

MGS is another beast. It has an ultra deep story that is intimidating for newcomers. It has a pretty steep learning curve. Also, if you're playing Metal Gear, you'd better have some times set aside.

Long story short

Halo= Super Mario Galaxy
Metal Gear= Metroid Prime 3

Both are awesome, but appeal to different gamers.

Soleron said:
Rath said:
WHATS WITH ALL THE CAPS?

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

WHAT CAP SIZE ARE YOU?

Ok... Halo 3 sold more than MGS week 1... so what?

What do you want to show us with that statement? Halo 3 is a better game than MGS? 360 owners buy more games than PS3 owners? Halo 3 would not have been so succesful if released on PS3?

What do you want us to tell about that?
No one ever stated that MGS would beat Halo 3, so what's the point?

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

sorry but did anyone even say that MGS4 would outsell Halo 3 because i dont think anyone did, not even CRAZZY

Because there are far less 12 year olds that play MGS..ohhh snap