By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Sony created the casual Non gamers before nintendo

mesoteto said:
swyggi said:
@users being ignorant: Reading is good for you.

But seriously, the OP does have a point. The PS2 did bring in a lot of newcomers with different types of games. Nintendo really didn't do this in the SNES and NES era because that's when gaming first started and people were skeptical back then with video games.
 Atari says hi.....more fail.... 

what the hell does atari have to do with this?  I said when gaming first started, meaning around the NES and SNES era. 

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Around the Network
swyggi said:

But seriously, the OP does have a point. The PS2 did bring in a lot of newcomers with different types of games. Nintendo really didn't do this in the SNES and NES era because that's when gaming first started and people were skeptical back then with video games.

Its ok i expected people not to agree.

Before ps2 there were no grandmas and dads and moms playing games..... thats what casual means. is true a many ways.

libellule said:
NES and SNES were hardcore

Gameboy is the first hardcore+casual system to me

PS2 was a amazing hardcore+casual system (amazing big sales)

Wii is the ultimate ... casual system : that is why it is not the new PS2...

Very true

It's true that Playstation 1 and 2 expanded (not created) the casual market, but their biggest success was tapping the European market, which is still the fastest growing console market.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

^yep

Around the Network

1991:

1989:

And the Famicom could let you go online and czech out the weather in Japan in the mid-80's.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famicom_Modem

When did Sony enter the market again?

mesoteto said:
swyggi said:

yea cause Atari was a awesome system with super cool sales that all casuals bought.......

your posts are all fails i dont understand why you post sometimes. if you dont agree then dont try to troll. just speak why you dont agree in a better manner.

I would personally argue that the casual 'non-gamer' gamer came into existance soon after videogames became mainstream with the release of games like Pong and Pac Man. Starting with the NES, each generation has grown dramatically larger mainly because videogames became a much more inclusive activity and new demographics began gaming ...

Sony was really successful with the Playstation because its release was well timed to capture the growing market of teenage boy and young adult male gamers, and to capatalize on the mistakes of Sega (32X, Sega CD, Saturn) and Nintendo (Virtual Boy, N64). They continued this strategy with the PS2 with being a little more inclusive and targeting a slightly older demographic and (due to lack of disruptive competition) were successful; but since they did not really target a dramatically larger demographic the growth in the industry during the PS2's generation wasn't as large as the growth durring the Playstation generation.

Nintendo didn't create these gamers that they're marketing to now, many women between the age of 18 and 40 have played videogames for a long time but they have never been marketed towards, and a lot of men in their late 20s and 30s now have young families which they would like to play videogames with. Nintendo has been so successful because they realized that over 50% of the market is not having their needs and desires met by their competition.

swyggi said:
mesoteto said:
swyggi said:

what the hell does atari have to do with this? I said when gaming first started, meaning around the NES and SNES era.

thats what Atari has to do with it, people were playing games long before those two systems

"

Its ok i expected people not to agree.

Before ps2 there were no grandmas and dads and moms playing games..... thats what casual means. is true a many ways."

dude do you even believe some of the crap your trying to push here.....*slaps forhead...just stop talking you are loosing the argument simple by responding.....

There were plenty of dads, grands, and small kids playing games before the Ps2..i know its hard to swallow this pill but take it in ....ready... THE PS2 WHILE A GREAT SYSTEM IS NOT THE ALPHA AND OMEGA...people played games before it and will continue to play games after it...

i know for a fact that not all casuals like the ps2--my wife cant stand it , thinks the controler has to many buttons and knobs, give her the snes any day an she is fine

so please stop making stupid comments k? 

The Ghost of RubangB said:
1991:

1989:

And the Famicom could let you go online and czech out the weather in Japan in the mid-80's.

When did Sony enter the market again?

Tetris appealed to casual gamers but it didn't really get many of those casual gamers involved heavliy enough, regardless of how many copies were sold.  This was really the only game plenty of non-gamers bought back in the day. 

1 or two games from the 8-bit era couldn't really make an impact into the casual market.  Sports games might have, but not to the extent that Wii Sports or Wii fit has.  The point isn't to make a game that attracts millions of non-gamers, it's to make those non-gamers more attracted to the console and/or games on the console.  It takes just the right formula in other words.