By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Sony created the casual Non gamers before nintendo

Dno said:
Soriku said:
Dno said:
Soriku said:
Stopped reading after "The true leaders of this gaming revolution are in fact, none other than Sony with its PlayStation 2."

NES and SNES say hi.

i loved the NES and SNES...but it was a hardcore system... sorry.......

And the PS2 didn't have hardcore games? lol. The NES and SNES actually brought gamers in. It doesn't matter if it had hardcore games or casual games or whatever. The point is that they brought in gamers. That's the whole point.

that is clearly NOT what the article was saying but as i see you didnt read it because you said you stopped reading.....

All its saying is that the mainstream took ONE system seriously before the Wii and that was the ps2.... I mean you no the PS2 sold more then the NES and SNES COMBINED right? that in itself means a lot of casuals bought it as their first system and they did so at a rate much faster then NES and SNES.

yes nintendo brought about 50 millions Hardcore and casual gamers in.... but sony brought 120 million hardcore and casuals in with the ps2 (not even counting the ps1)...thats means sony hit a much bigger market then nintendo has ever done so far which also means sony brought in the casuals and nintendo is building on that......

thats what it said lol.

That's under the assumption that everyone who bought the ps2 was a gamer.

Around the Network
tehsage said:
Dno said:
Soriku said:
Dno said:
Soriku said:
Stopped reading after "The true leaders of this gaming revolution are in fact, none other than Sony with its PlayStation 2."

NES and SNES say hi.

And the PS2 didn't have hardcore games? lol. The NES and SNES actually brought gamers in. It doesn't matter if it had hardcore games or casual games or whatever. The point is that they brought in gamers. That's the whole point.

that is clearly NOT what the article was saying but as i see you didnt read it because you said you stopped reading.....

All its saying is that the mainstream took ONE system seriously before the Wii and that was the ps2.... I mean you no the PS2 sold more then the NES and SNES COMBINED right? that in itself means a lot of casuals bought it as their first system and they did so at a rate much faster then NES and SNES.

yes nintendo brought about 50 millions Hardcore and casual gamers in.... but sony brought 120 million hardcore and casuals in with the ps2 (not even counting the ps1)...thats means sony hit a much bigger market then nintendo has ever done so far which also means sony brought in the casuals and nintendo is building on that......

thats what it said lol.

so people bought it for the DVD?? lol ok take away 20 million people who bought it for DVDs (which is just guesing like you are) then sony sold 100 million to gamers... still beats every nintendo console ever.

"yes nintendo brought about 50 millions Hardcore and casual gamers in.... but sony brought 120 million hardcore and casuals in with the ps2 (not even counting the ps2)...thats means sony hit a much bigger market then nintendo has ever done so far which also means sony brought in the casuals and nintendo is building on that......

thats what it said lol."

man i have to thank you i was looking for so epic fail and i found it...

think about what you just said i will give you a min...

First and foremost Nin started to bring in the casual and sony just built upon that, and now its nin's turn again.....now seriously are you going to try and still argue this?

more cat pictures

So what we should make fun of Sony now for abandoning the hardcore and not releasing any good games and totally destroying the market for good. Is that the point of this thread now haha.

Sony reached a huge mainstream appeal with one of the biggest gaming brands. I mean there's no denying it was a mainstream phenomenon similar to that of Wii right now. But it couldn't have done it without NES and GB completely opening those markets up before them, which is where credit is due. They opened it and PS expanded it.

I give most credit to Sony by really tapping into markets that had nothing before hand, especially European and Asian markets, something only the GB had really done before it.

If this isn't a casual orientated game. I don't know what is.
http://www.gamespot.com/nes/puzzle/familyfeud/index.html

Come on your post even says that Sony is after the Core market while the Wii strategy is Blue Ocean. If you consider who did what first and neglect system direction stance then No. Sony is not the true leaders of the casual market. It's Nintendo, but that's only from the current companies. If we go back even farther we would put the true casual market to Bushnell.

It's odd because almost everything in the article can be reversed to represent NES & PS1. "Expanded audiance", "Nintendo refined Sony’s efforts/Sony refined Nintendo's efforts"

I think we are smarter than just System X fan needing their egos stroked because of insecurities. You know what the they say "the louder you are the more you are trying to protect yourself". Considering the Wii hate lately and the current state of sales seems to me that this is true.

ahh memories. I remember this shift in the days from Nintendo(N46) to Sony(PS1). I pretty much did what all these insecure ego fan boys did at the time. Whine bitch and try to dig in my feet. I'm older now. I have a PS1, PS2, GC, Wii... You tend to grow up and follow a gaming philosophy or in Christens words "new values". I value game play and experience with the play more than I value hardware or brand.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network

@users being ignorant: Reading is good for you.

But seriously, the OP does have a point. The PS2 did bring in a lot of newcomers with different types of games. Nintendo really didn't do this in the SNES and NES era because that's when gaming first started and people were skeptical back then with video games.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

tehsage said:
Dno said:
Soriku said:
Dno said:
Soriku said:

NES and SNES say hi.

yes nintendo brought about 50 millions Hardcore and casual gamers in.... but sony brought 120 million hardcore and casuals in with the ps2 (not even counting the ps1)...thats means sony hit a much bigger market then nintendo has ever done so far which also means sony brought in the casuals and nintendo is building on that......

thats what it said lol.

and that everyone buying one in teh last three years was a new customer and not someone replacing the broken system or upgrading to the slim version

swyggi said:
@users being ignorant: Reading is good for you.

But seriously, the OP does have a point. The PS2 did bring in a lot of newcomers with different types of games. Nintendo really didn't do this in the SNES and NES era because that's when gaming first started and people were skeptical back then with video games.
 Atari says hi.....more fail.... 

1st and 2nd generations of consoles were fairly "casual" and family oriented too. So, Sony (or Nintendo) didn't create "casual non gamers", they just brought them back .

NES and SNES were hardcore

Gameboy is the first hardcore+casual system to me

PS2 was a amazing hardcore+casual system (amazing big sales)

Wii is the ultimate ... casual system : that is why it is not the new PS2...

Time to Work !