By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsoft Dominate after E3?

famousringo said:
By "dominate," you actually mean "exceed the weekly sales of its HD competitor by a factor of 10-20% on a somewhat regular basis," right?

Yes Sir, Sorry I am in one of those moods today.

Around the Network

"I expect that the Wii will dominate Christmas 2008 following E3"

This is a correction for the OP. The 360 has unleashed some of the best titles of this generation, no doubt. But, the Wiis3 combo always outsell it. (by themselvesnot just combined.

I will have to admit though. I feel kind of silly for selling my 360 now that all the rpgs are coming fot it. But, I am still waiting for the Wii and Ps3 rpgs to come. (that will start with TOS2 for Wii.)

You also seem to underestimate Sony and mostly Nintendo when it comes to game lineups for E3. I have seen a lot of leaked details of Microsoft's E3. Everything about their current E3 lineup for next month isn't unexpected. (Forza 3, Marvel: UA2, Halo Wars, Gears 2.)

Nintendo is being secretive. (The best tactic imo.) So is Sony. It's like Microsoft is spoiling their own E3 for everyone looking forward to it.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

If I am able to get a job at some point this summer and make at least $500, I will defineatly get a 360 this xmas if Banjo Nuts and Bolts is a good game. And $100 price cut would only help. I can imagine an ad campaign of 2-3 different ads for BK3 with a mini 360 ad at the end that says- "Banjo Kazzoie Nuts and Bolts- only for Xbox 360. Xbox 360 now 199.99 (arcade). Buy it today!" would really help sell the 360 to a new demographics. May be run a couple viva pinata ads saying the same thing.

Valkyria Chronicles for the JRPG people, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm for the narutards (there are a lot of little ninja wannabies who would want to get their hands on this game) and Heavy Rain are also coming to the PS3. Even though they are not as highprofile as the other games, they are good assets to the lineup.
This brings the total line up to:

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
SOCOM: Confrontation
Resistance 2
Heavy Rain
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Valkyria Chronicles
LittleBigPlanet

(Tekken 6 and White Knight Chronicles are possibilities, but are uncertain at the moment)

And I think that LPB will appeal to a wider audience than you might expect, and if Sony play their marketing right, this could get really big.

Rainbird said:

Valkyria Chronicles for the JRPG people, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm for the narutards (there are a lot of little ninja wannabies who would want to get their hands on this game) and Heavy Rain are also coming to the PS3. Even though they are not as highprofile as the other games, they are good assets to the lineup.
This brings the total line up to:

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
SOCOM: Confrontation
Resistance 2
Heavy Rain
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Valkyria Chronicles
LittleBigPlanet

(Tekken 6 and White Knight Chronicles are possibilities, but are uncertain at the moment)

And I think that LPB will appeal to a wider audience than you might expect, and if Sony play their marketing right, this could get really big.

Banjo>LBP anyday

Gears>RFOM anyday

The rest are all much smaller releases in comparision to the 360 lineup IMO.

Around the Network

Is M$ couldn't DOMINATE over S3 at XMAS in a "HALO" year with a LOWER PRICE

their NEVER gonna be able to do it...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Fanatical111 said:
famousringo said:
By "dominate," you actually mean "exceed the weekly sales of its HD competitor by a factor of 10-20% on a somewhat regular basis," right?

I declare this myth plausible.

Right now the 360's problem isn't cool games or price. Its problem is that Japan doesn't care unless it's a handheld or the Wii, the European core demographic thinks Playstation is still king, and the US core demographic is close to saturation. The 360 is running out of places to grow to.

When I look at your games list, I just see a broader selection in genres where the 360's library is already quite strong. Throw in some copycat features from the Wii and a price cut and, sure, it could claw its way back to 2nd place weekly for a while. But at this point, the die has been cast, and the major trends of this generation won't be altered without very extraordinary events.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

edit by Rocketpig.

Stupid broken thread. Pig smash.

famousringo said:
Fanatical111 said:
famousringo said:

I declare this myth plausible.

Right now the 360's problem isn't cool games or price. Its problem is that Japan doesn't care unless it's a handheld or the Wii, the European core demographic thinks Playstation is still king, and the US core demographic is close to saturation. The 360 is running out of places to grow to.

When I look at your games list, I just see a broader selection in genres where the 360's library is already quite strong. Throw in some copycat features from the Wii and a price cut and, sure, it could claw its way back to 2nd place weekly for a while. But at this point, the die has been cast, and the major trends of this generation won't be altered without very extraordinary events.

I disagree.  Lets say $50-$100 price cut.  A vast amount of great games that appeal to everyone.  An already immense library of great games.  XBL improvements, new gameplay functionality and IPTV and other media add-ons.  This all equals substancial growth. 

Christmas time = console buying time.  If the above takes place around Christmas which will most likely happen, the 360 will see huge sales. 

Banjo and Viva appeal to that market that the 360 really hasnt touched to well.  Christmas 08 they will be inclinded to attack that market.

no, they are more than likely going to be dominated by Sony and Nintendo, look they had a good run but that's just because they had a year head start, Sony is just starting to flex it's muscles and the big N will continue to put the evil empire in its place.