By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Myth of Metal Gear Solid 4 being too much for xbox 360 to handle...

MGS4 is on Dual-layer blu ray disc. XBOX360 can't  hold that on 1 disc , so 3 or 4 disc is not so bogus.

Around the Network
joshjosh said:
FJ-Warez said:
Deviation59 said:

Umm, it's been confirmed for many months now that it's actually a 50gb dual-layer Blu-ray Disc and all of the cutscenes are generated in real-time by the game's engine. The audio is only available in standard Dolby Digital so you can't claim the space is wasted by uncompressed audio either.

Complete and utter FAIL.

Links showing that is a full 50GB Blu-ray disk please...

U got it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4

use the find button thing and type in 50gb and it'll show you the piece and a link to the source. 

I listened throught the whole podcast, and there is no mention of the game sizeor anything like this

"Guns of the Patriots is the first PS3 game that uses a full 50GB dual layer" < From Wikipedia

Around 17:00 they did mention the sound languajes and limitations of disc size, but none of them refers to the 50Gb thing...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
disolitude said:

First of all let me say that I absolutly love Metal Gear 4. The game is succeding in tying up the stroy of 3 previous games as well as delivering some a few new and interesting gameplay segments. So I don't mean to undervalue metal gear when I say this...

However there is nothing in this game that xbox360 can't handle. Below are 2 of the main reasons people say this cant be ported to 360 (other than contracts Sony may have with Konami ofcourse)

1. Size

Everyone says that if it be ported, it would have to be on 7-8 DL DVD disks. While no one has yet confirmed if mgs4 is dual layer bluray or sigle layer (25 gigs or 50 gigs...4 xbox disks or 8 xbox disks)...lets take that it is infact a 50 GB bluray game...

One must remember that the majority of metal gears size are the cutscences...gameplay alone could easily fit on to 1 DVD and have room left over. Therefore, we must remember that new compression codecs such as x264 are completely embarrassing Blu-ray video and sound. x264 takes a full Blu-ray film in HD, and compresses it to around 2-3GB. With same quality almost (95%). Same could be applied to the games cutscens bringing the game down to 2 or 3 DL DVD's maximum

Also, the fact is that MGS4 does game installs from 2 to 4 minutes between EVER ACT! So you can just stare at the wall for 3 minutes, or you can get up and swap the disk 2-3 times while playing the whole game (if this came out to 360).

So size is not the issue...

2. Visuals

I have not seen ANYTHING visually that makes MGS4 imposible to port to 360. Once cutscenes are taken out of the picture(which look amazing but are not hard to port), there really isn't anything in mgs4 that makes this game stand out visually from other top level visual games on the 360.

None of the structures take damage (other than that Raven boss which was designed specifically with that in mind) other than window and glass explosions, lighting doesn't adjust dynamically (there is shade and then there is sun...sun never moves), the bodes dissapear from the ground and there isn't many characters on screen at the same time...etc. These are the thigns that require lots of processing power... so visually it should not be a problem.

Therefore the only reasons this game can't come to the 360 are:

A) Kojima doesn't want to do it

B) Sony paid for complete exclusive

I read through this entire thread and didn't see any mention of this so sorry if somebody pointed this out already.

WTF are you talking about? x264 isn't a compression codec, it is an AVC encoder. The compression codec it works with is called h264, which happens to be the same codec that is used in Blu-ray movies.

NJ5 said:
@MikeB: That quote doesn't contradict what I said. But seriously, I'm tired of arguing with you and your constant quoting. It's like following a pre-made script, and I'm not even sure you fully understand your quotes. It certainly doesn't seem so.

That's because you said nothing apart from a short cheapshot, as you don't want to go into detail. What he said supports what I said, you know the meaning of the word "allow", don't you? IMO let's not go there, let's stay polite and try to discuss things more in depth.

You agree, he's an experienced and knowledgeable developer, don't you?

Don't you agree that using the approach of branch hints and elemination is of benefit to the 360's cores as well? So actually the best measures to be taken to use the SPUs efficiently also result into code which will run more efficiently on PPE/Xenon?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB: You must have missed this post in which I explained you why you're wrong and misinterpreting what that developer said:

"Dynamic branch hints are similar to delayed jumps, something I use when programming with DSPs. It's not the same thing as never mispredicting branches, it just means that sometimes you can decide a branch early."

Seriously, until you're sure you fully understand the quotes you see, don't copy/paste them all the time. I'd much rather talk with someone who understands what they're talking about, such as the developers you so often misinterpret to fit your goals.

PS: Branch elimination is an optimization strategy like any other; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. An experienced developer can surely use it to mitigate *some* of the problems of inexisting dynamic branch prediction. That's not what you were saying though.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Saiyar said:

I read through this entire thread and didn't see any mention of this so sorry if somebody pointed this out already.

WTF are you talking about? x264 isn't a compression codec, it is an AVC encoder. The compression codec it works with is called h264, which happens to be the same codec that is used in Blu-ray movies.

I'm not really a codec expert to argue with you, but I am quite familiar with the movie rip scene on the net and there is a lot of torrents available that take a bluray movie and take it down to 2-3 gigs. Discussions on some torrent forums established that very little quality is lost...

Most of those torrents have name such as MovieName.720p.BluRay.x264

So I assumed x264 is the codec used. So you may be right...however, the size reduction using this compression codec is quite dramatic.

@ NJ5

Branch hints and branch prediction serve the same purpose which is to tell the CPU ahead of the branch execution time what code to fetch. Some code is very unpredictable for the branch predictor, then there's the advantage towards the manual approach best used for the SPUs, resulting into gains on for other CPUs as well.

It's often compared to changing gears in cars, if you are a good driver you will be able to yield better results changing gears manually.

Branch elimination approaches is beneficial as well, like Mike Acton pointed out. Redesigning your code, you can achieve exceptional results with the SPUs and better results with other CPUs as well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

What you fail to understand is that dynamic branch hints aren't always possible to use. As the developer you quoted said, it only works if you can put valuable instructions in between the branch hint and the actual branch (which is why I said dynamic branch hints are similar to delayed jumps, something which has existed for ages and doesn't solve all the problems of static branch prediction).

Regarding your last paragraph, I reiterate what I said - branch elimination is sometimes useful, even in processors with dynamic branch prediction. As with branch hints, branch elimination is nothing new, nor a silver bullet.

The key word in guidelines for optimizing software is "sometimes", everything must be seen on a case by case basis.

PS: Just tell me, what was the last time you programmed anything in Assembly? How many different CPUs have you programmed for?

@ NJ5

As the developer you quoted said, it only works

He states two things:

- Oportunity to never 'mispredict' a branch

- and to not pay any cost as long as ...

Regarding your last paragraph, I reiterate what I said - branch elimination is sometimes useful, even in processors with dynamic branch prediction. As with branch hints, branch elimination is nothing new, nor a silver bullet.

And neither is branch prediction. Understand?

Just tell me, what was the last time you programmed anything in Assembly?

Amiga days, some time ago (unless you count VP code, a few years back which was more like a mix of C/C++ and ASM). Programming isn't my profession, but I know some good developers I discuss things with.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ NJ5

As the developer you quoted said, it only works

He states two things:

- Oportunity to never 'mispredict' a branch

- and to not pay any cost as long as ...

And neither is branch prediction. Understand?

Just tell me, what was the last time you programmed anything in Assembly?

Amiga days, some time ago. Programming isn't my profession, but I know some good developers I discuss things with.

The "as long as" and what's after it is precisely what you failed to understand. Is it that hard to admit you were wrong, or don't you even understand why you were wrong yet?

No, branch prediction isn't a silver bullet either, which only makes your initial assertion even more laughable. Effectively, you were saying that dynamic branch hints are perfect for every situation.

I figured you were not really a programmer. Your posts show that most of your knowledge comes from hearsay and misinterpretation of valid sources. My work in this thread is more than done, if you hadn't continued dodging what I said I would have stopped even earlier...