By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Myth of Metal Gear Solid 4 being too much for xbox 360 to handle...

The most important thing to note is:

The amount of time it takes for the initial install to happen and install after each act VS The time it takes you to get up push the eject button and remove a dvd disc called "act 1" and put in a disc "act 2".

According to what people who have actually played the game (i've got it, haven't whacked it in yet), initial install is 8 minutes and each act is 3 minutes (so 5 acts and epilogue makes it 18, so 26 minutes all up). Personally, I'd rather disc swap then have to watch snake take a smoke for 3 minutes (and we've seen that so many times already).

Around the Network

i think its (A) kojima hates 360

Lets forget the actual size of the game, whether it be 25Gb or close to 50Gb....there is one plain and simple thing that makes a whole lot more sense.....the actual game.

MGS4 and Uncharted are hailed as the 2 best looking games of this generation so far.  IMHO, Uncharted was miles ahead of anything else on the market...that was until Thursday last week and MGS4 came out.  MGS4 maybe isn't quite as good graphically as Uncharted...but it's pretty close and in some scenes just blows you away.

There has been nothing on the X360 so far that matches these games graphically.  Now this doesn't mean that MGS4 couldn't appear on the X360 as some point...but IMHO, it would have to be a slightly dumbed down version on various fronts, so that it could fit on a disc or a few discs and be able to play as well.

Will it happen....no it won't IMHO as MGS4 has cost so much money to make in the first place (although I doubt it cost $75m...I reckon it may be closer to $30m) and although sales os the game so far are great and it certainly looks like they will get their money back....I doubt it would be worth the extra time and money to reconfigure the game for the X360 when sales IMHO wouldn't be as good in the longterm as it could easily be 12 months away before it would be released anyway.

So in short...yes MGS4 could be done on the X360....but it wouldn't be the exact same game that appears on the PS3 currently.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

I would hate to swap disks constantly

Predictions for end of 2008

PS3 - 18 million

360 - 22million

Wii - 30 million

http://www.n4g.com/tech/News-117932.aspx

There you go. Took me 2 secs. Tops.

"

MGS4: Kojima says "50GB BD Not Enough For MGS4"

In an exclusive interview with Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid series, has made complains about 50GB BD not been sufficient. The Metal Gear Solid producer considers the Blu Ray disc too small and that they had to make compromises in order to put the game on the 50GB BD. According to Hideo, the programmers had to compress some parts in the game to save disc space.

Kojima : I am not satisfied with the quality yet, however...there isn't enough space.

Interviewer: Not enough space..on..Blu-ray..?

Kojima: Yes.(laughs). Not enough space."

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

Well there you have it.... 360 port coming really soon. Expect it to be half-assed or the same and never better.

Regarding processing power, I don't believe we can say the 360 can't run the game... There are games with great graphics running at 60 fps on the 360 (e.g. Ninja Gaiden 2), while MGS4 only requires 30 fps. Going by the information posted by Quaz51, and taking into account the framerate differences, NG2 is actually calculating 66% more pixels per second than MGS4, which means even if MGS4 graphics are much more demanding in other areas (texturing, polygons etc), there's room left for graphical improvement by having the framerate at 30 fps. Of course, there are many unknowns here, but my point is that it's certainly not proven that the 360 couldn't handle MGS4 graphically.

Regarding disc space, we can't ignore the uncompressed audio element. It's unnecessary for the vast majority of people, who have neither the ears nor the audio hardware necessary to notice the difference between well compressed audio and uncompressed audio. I'm pretty sure that if Konami was having difficulties with cramming MGS4 onto the Blu-Ray disc, audio would have been one of the first things to be compressed (even if with a lossless compression algorithm like FLAC which can halve the size of audio files with no loss of quality at all).

Being a software engineer, I can tell you one thing - it's rare for developers working in a professional context to optimize things which don't need to be optimized. I believe Konami wasn't space constrained with this game, having 50 GB to work with they took a lot of liberties like using uncompressed audio. If Konami is interested in porting it to the 360, they'll have a reason to optimize for lower space, at which point they can drastically reduce the size of the game data (most likely, starting with the audio as I said).

After reducing the size of the game data, in a game of this genre it's not hard to split the game between several discs (I'd venture the guess that no more than 3 double layer DVDs would be necessary). It's not an open game like GTA4 in which you can quickly go anywhere in the game. As many have said, it would actually be less painful for users to switch discs than to endure the multiple installations which the PS3 game requires.

Make no mistake - I'm not saying it would be a cakewalk to port this game. It's a big production, a huge project, and there are certainly a lot of things which would need to be done in order to convert it to any other platform. What I am saying is that, looking at the big picture, it's not implausible at all that this game can be ported to the 360. All the people I've seen attempting to prove otherwise are relying on unproven assumptions which only Konami itself can judge. Of all the publicly available information about this game, I have seen nothing which automatically proves the technical impossibility of a 360 port.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

CAL4M1TY said:
The most important thing to note is:

The amount of time it takes for the initial install to happen and install after each act VS The time it takes you to get up push the eject button and remove a dvd disc called "act 1" and put in a disc "act 2".

According to what people who have actually played the game (i've got it, haven't whacked it in yet), initial install is 8 minutes and each act is 3 minutes (so 5 acts and epilogue makes it 18, so 26 minutes all up). Personally, I'd rather disc swap then have to watch snake take a smoke for 3 minutes (and we've seen that so many times already).

Those install times would not be fixed by having multiple discs.  They have nothing to do with each other.  There should have been an option to install all the files needed, but since DL-DVDs read slower than blu-ray, the problem would be the same...which brings me to another post below...

starcraft said:
The game was pushing the limits of a 25GB disk a few months before release, then they had a well timed publicity based stunt where they announced it would be on a dual-layer disk. The chances that this game is far above 25GB are minimal.

Another thing to consider when thinking about how big it would have to be on 360 is the fact that most Blu-Ray games (and I'm sure MGS4 is no exception) have the same data on a disk in multiple spaces to account for the Blu-Ray disks substantially slower maximum read/seek times.

On the 360, you would have no need for the doubling/tripling/quadrupling of the data.

It's been widely reported to be a near-filled 50GB disc, so I won't even talk further on that topic except to remind people that the Japanese voices were to be included but were not because of space issues.  I would have enjoyed that.

Now, my main point...

It should be a bannable offense at this point for you to make these comments about read/seek times.  I'm pretty sure I have corrected you in several threads before and so have other people.   Let's get the truth out there once again...

single layer dvd on 360 (12x read speeds) is only faster than blu-ray at a certain part of the disc.  Things that need to be loaded faster go there.  The blu-ray drive on the PS3 is faster, uniformly, than DL-DVDs on 360.

Installs to hard drive are, of course, even faster.  There is no need for redundancy, and it certainly wouldn't take tripling or quadrupling of the data.  I understand that Bethesda said they did that, but that is not the only reason load times were twice as fast on the PS3 for Oblivion.  Even if redundacy is used, isn't that a great reason to have all of that space?  Blu-ray is already faster than the 360 DL discs, so having more space just adds to the advantage. 

windbane said:

It's been widely reported to be a near-filled 50GB disc, so I won't even talk further on that topic except to remind people that the Japanese voices were to be included but were not because of space issues. I would have enjoyed that.

(...)

I don't know if the disc is near-filled or not, but the fact that Japanese voices weren't included doesn't prove it is. Those voices would occupy a LOT of space if they consist of uncompressed audio.

If X is the size of the Japanese voice data and Y is the size of the US version of the game, what you're saying is that X+Y > 50 GB. That doesn't prove that Y is near 50 GB ;)

In any case, even if the game is nearly 50 GB, that doesn't mean much as I argued above.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957