By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Myth of Metal Gear Solid 4 being too much for xbox 360 to handle...

MikeB said:
Ail wrote:

There's a lot of false assumptions made in this thread about installs.

Some 360 SKUs have no HDD so the game would have to be made to support this.

If you go the way of several discs ( which would be a necessity for the 360) you're going to have to replicate a lot of information on each discs, because you can't write it on the HDD. A lot of the graphics and stuff is the same accross every act. On PS3 that stuff only has to be once on the Blue Ray.

If you go the way of several discs you suddenly have to replicate that data on every disc and that reduces a lot the amount of new data you can put on every disc.

I have no clue how much size that data is but it could easilly reach 1Gb.

Second assumption is that a Dual Layer DVD for the 360 is 8.54 Gb, there is only 7Gb useable for game content on a 360 DVD ( Google, it, wikipedia search it, it's easy to verify). So lets do the maths now :

7 Gb per disc : 31.5Gb total : 5 discs.

Factor the data that has to be replicated on every disc ( lets guess 1 Gb) and you now have 6 discs...

That's about double than what has been speculated on this thread...

Nice insightful post. But to be exact, a 360 DVD can hold up to 6.8 GB of game data.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/deathkiller/1-2.png

Useful piece of information, but let's not start assuming a specific size for this game, especially since we don't know how much the highly compressible data (especially audio) is occupying. I'd be surprised if MGS4 couldn't be cut down to less than 25 GB, at which point you're in the 3-4 discs realm even accounting for 6.8 GB discs. I wouldn't be surprised if it could be put in 2-3 discs (i.e. less than 20 GB), which is what I guessed to begin with.

A lot of wild guessing on what has to be replicated or not will get us nowhere. For all we know, only the engine and most basic assets (i.e. Snake's character) would have to be replicated, and we both know that machine code and a few models/sounds take up very little space.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

hree words: Triple core processor. The PS3 has the advantage of the other cores for floating point calculations...but they can't be used for general purposes entirely whereas with the 360 you have the triple core processor where you can use all 3 of them for general purpose processes. Meaning the 360 could process more at once than the PS3 can...even if the PS3 can be faster with the processes it can handle.

The thing is both systems are very different hardware wise. Close in power, but very different. If you develop a game solely for ones hardware, it would be really hard porting it to the other.

I agree the architecture is very different, but the PS3 can process a lot more data apart for just FP calculations. The PPE is about the equivalent of a 360 core, the 360 has 2 additional similar cores which all share the L2 cache and a shared bus to the main system memory with the GPU and the GPU can use the Xenon for certain tasks but this will disrupt the flow of data processing by the Xenon.

The PS3 has 7 additional SPEs (one of which used by the OS to run background stuff, which for equivalent purposes on the 360 would take performance from its cores), some quotes:

Insomniac's Rule 1:" The SPU is not a co-processor!
Don't think of SPUs as hiding time “behind” a main PPU loop"

Mike Acton:

"It's a lot of little things, right. I mean, we had an idea of what to expect with the Cell before, but there were definitely some hard-learnt lessons. One that I can think of is to not treat the SPU as a co-processor."

"SPUs are the core of the Cell, the PPU is a minor player."

"Whatever the PPU can do, the SPUs can do better."

The problem:

"What I've always said is that bad code, and bad data design in particular, is bad on any architecture, but it's particularly bad on the PS3 because the Cell is a much more modern, much more heterogeneous design. It's much more parallel, and so requires good data design and good code. So if you're poorly designing your data and your code, then yeah, I can see why it'd be difficult to take something like that and try and manipulate it to work on the PS3, especially when people have invested a huge amount of money and time on something that basically doesn't fit a modern methodology. Yeah, it's going to be time-consuming to get that to work - if it's at all possible."

http://www.developmag.com/interviews/174/QA-Insomniacs-Mike-Acton

A lof of Insomniac and other 1st and 2nd party game engine efforts are dedicated to bringing all the game code over to the SPUs. This is how it's expected to pan out for the long run:

Deano (before the PS3 launched):

"I’ll make a prediction for how PS3 games will evolve.
1st Gen: PPU used for most things with the SPUs just doing some heavy lifting
2nd Gen: PPU still dominant but SPUs doing a lot more tasks.
3rd Gen: SPU completely dominant with PPU now more of a game coprocessor."

There's also a game engine state I would call the 0th generation and this relates to some games like even a PS3 exclusive like Genji 2 belong to. A game which does not take advantage of the SPUs at all, doing everything on the PPU.

Resistance 2 is known to become based on a 3rd generation style game engine, many other exclusives can be seen as 2nd generation and most 3rd party efforts like based on the Unreal engine between the 1st and 2nd generation.

After 3rd generation game engine there still is room for a lot of experimentation and endles optimisations, but moving all the game code onto the SPUs should be seen as a milestone in PS3 game engine development.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB:

My bullshit detector beeped so much that it went out of batteries... The PPU is a full-blown PowerPC processor, the SPUs are glorified DSPs. No way they can do everything better than the PPU.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Million said:
The thing is MGS4 could be ported to any platform even Mobile but you wouldn't get the same experience . I have no dought that MGS4 could be on the 360 but you wouldn't get the same experience you would on the PS3 , it would definetley be degraded in certain areas.
Such as?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Since I have both and I already have MGS4 I don't really care.

But it's easy to see that the game is easy to port to 360, If they port it they could even do better graphics.

Don't see nothing special, just SONY's money, nothing more. Just like HALO or GOW....

By the end of this generation in 2011 we will have:

18.890.000 + (174 x 120.000) = 39.770.000 for XBOX360
12.610.000 + (174 x 170.000) = 42.190.000 for PS3

Around the Network

Wow.

This is a fanboy fest.

Seriously, who fucking cares whether this is coming to the 360 or not? Why do people continually bring up the same subject over and over again.

I really don't understand the OP. You have a PS3, and the game, why would you make this thread? Just to start an argument?

Well done.

DMeisterJ said:
Wow.

This is a fanboy fest.

Seriously, who fucking cares whether this is coming to the 360 or not? Why do people continually bring up the same subject over and over again.

I really don't understand the OP. You have a PS3, and the game, why would you make this thread? Just to start an argument?

Well done.

ZOMG!!!!!

NO CAT!!!!! 

ChartsViewer said:
Since I have both and I already have MGS4 I don't really care.

But it's easy to see that the game is easy to port to 360, If they port it they could even do better graphics.

Don't see nothing special, just SONY's money, nothing more. Just like HALO or GOW....

This pretty much sums up the reality of the situation. 

NJ5 said:
@MikeB:

My bullshit detector beeped so much that it went out of batteries... The PPU is a full blown PowerPC processor, the SPUs are glorified DSPs. No way they can do everything better than the PPU.

The SPUs are full processors and the SPEs are like little system themselves within which the SPU acts as a CPU.

Just because the SPUs are really fast at DSP, GPU or vector unit related tasks does not inhibit the other potentials.

It requires redesign, some stuff you currently do manually on the SPUs to achieve maximum efficiency which translates into better cache hits on other CPUs as well. You should write your code as parallel as possible (8 hardware threads and maybe additional software threads where this suits your game engine) and for ideal performance you stick to half- or single precsion formats (but the Cell can outperform other top CPUs at double precision as well, due to more processors on the chip).

The PPU is different compared to a x86 desktop CPU as it lacks some non-crucial features and legacy bagage found in such CPUs, the SPUs take such simplifications even further. This results in legacy code backwards compatibility issues, but also leads to more power and potential performance efficiency form one chip. One profound advantage of the SPUs is that they have quite a lot of cache-speed-like genuine memory to work with, multiple times the amount a 360 core has L1 cache to work with. Using a multi-buffer approach using the enormous available bandwidth you can feed them huge amounts of data to process, using it like a stream processor.

You can write any kind of code which can run on the PPU for the SPUs. However within the Cell design the PPE is meant to be the general overviewing manager and the SPEs the allround experts.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

That's right Starcraft.

T3h Power of the... Brawl has made me change my avvy.