By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 does play 1080p

Slimebeast said:
smbu2000 said:
Zkuq said:
1024x768 isn't HD; it's sub-HD.. You see, 1024x768 isn't 768p. Still, it's higher than Halo 3 for example, though.

Is it really 1024x768? That's a 4:3 resolution and not widescreen. I highly doubt they would render it in 4:3 mode.

Yeah can someone xplain this? It should be somthing like 1366x768.

How do u ppl see it on your widescreen HDs, the cutscenes dont have black bars on the sides, do they?

It could be internally rendered at 1024x768. While it is a usual assumption that pixels are square, there is nothing that says they are required to be. 1080i broadcast (at least in Australia) are at 1440x1080, which is also 4:3. DVDs have a resoution of 720x480 (or 576) which is 3:2 (or 5:4) and need to be streched for widescreen.

Given how many console games are rendered internally at lower resolutions and scaled, while I agree it would be bizarre to use a non-16:9 resolution internally, there is nothing technical stopping them (in fact, there may be technical (read: performance) reason why someone would use that instead).

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
Username2324 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
*gasp* 768p!!!!! It's not real HD!!! *cue foaming at the mouth*

lol

Anyway, it upscales and looks pretty damn good so whatever.

Actually, HD is defined as 720p or above, so yes, it is HD

EDIT: I see "Quaz" said its 1024x768, you know I really dont see why anyone trusts this guy, he is usually the only one claiming the resolution of games, and only a few times have the game creators actually acknowledged it. I mean look at the way he types, he may be from France, but if he is really as smart as he says, you'd think he'd be able to type a little better.

Because his method works, and you can do the exact same thing and confirm. Of course most companies aren't going to acknowledge the resolution issue, but the fact that findings have only been confirmed by companies and not denied speaks volumes about his accuracy. 

Oh, and the last part is just dumb. 

well he is right though on the first part. His post makes no sense. HD is 480p - 1080p, Super HD is 1440p to 2160p, and Ultra HD is everything above 2160.

Got to love Pc, being UHD compartible for at least 5 years.

You're so full of shit. 

I'd said absolutely nothing about HD resolutions, outside of Quaz method working, so you then talk about HD resolutions. The really funny thing is how you get the facts wrong yet again.

Ultra HD is the same thing as 4k, in other words 4000 or larger. Just to make sure you understand, thats larger then 2160.

Also, can you find me a computer set up that supported Ultra HD 5 years ago? Oh, you mean graphics cards of that era could hit around 1440, and even then only on desktop. But hey, at least that claim is a bit more believable then when you said PC his super HD resolutions a decade ago.

I swear you have to be a joke poster - some sort of criticism/mockery of people who are way to full of themselves.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

ssj12 said:
Zkuq said:
1024x768 isn't HD; it's sub-HD.. You see, 1024x768 isn't 768p. Still, it's higher than Halo 3 for example, though.

its still higher then the standard 720p so really it is HD

The horizontal resolution is too low to be called true HD. 1024x768 = 786,432 pixels, whereas 720p (1280x720) = 921,600. But it's close enough to not be a big deal.

Isn't 1024x768 enhanced definition?

HD doesnt start until 720p. 1280x720.

Atleast thats what i thought.

1024x768= 745,472 pixels
1280x720= 921,600 pixels

I always look for a woman who has a tattoo. I see a woman with a tattoo, and I’m thinking, okay, here’s a gal who’s capable of making a decision she’ll regret in the future.

MGS4 is not 1080p, its upscaled. I up-scale my wii to 1080p, dose that mean its a HD console?

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Around the Network
fuegonian said:
Isn't 1024x768 enhanced definition?

HD doesnt start until 720p. 1280x720.

Atleast thats what i thought.

1024x768= 745,472 pixels
1280x720= 921,600 pixels

Enhanced Definition is 480p

In reality what is and isn't HD is all a bunch of bullshit marketing. Now you are right about the number of pixel being greater with 720. Some definitions of HD claim that its atleast 1 mega pixel, or >1,000,000, but let 720 slide because its close enough.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

misteromar mk4 said:
MGS4 is not 1080p, its upscaled. I up-scale my wii to 1080p, dose that mean its a HD console?

Oh dear lord, that would look awful, I'm running 480p on 46 inch and I thought SMG looked a bit off (stretching textures and all)

This actually makes sense if you think about resolutions... Vert res is much less important to the eye than horizontal res... The same way GT5:p is not true 1080p because it's made for a 16:9 screen yet stretches a 4:3 ratio to fit it, MGS4 could be doing the same thing for a 720+ resolution. It gives a solid framerate, people are less likely to notice, and the game still looks great.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

i don't car cuz it play awesome