By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "Wii Third-Party Struggles Highlighted by May NPD" - GameDaily

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/wii-thirdparty-struggles-highlighted-by-may-npd/?biz=1

"[UPDATE: Boom Blox sells just 60K.] With the exception of a very small few, third-party Wii games just can't succeed and continue to be overshadowed by Nintendo titles. And what the heck happened to Boom Blox?"

(more at the link)

Around the Network

apart from boom blox and okami almost all the 3rd party game releases were crap no wonder they didn't sell

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

wow, way overtracked.

Let's be serious, puzzle games has never really sold well in any platform.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

i'm going to jump on the "if their trailers featured people older than 10, maybe people would realize that it can be fun for people older than 10" boat

Around the Network

i think it's far too early to judge the sales of bloom blox.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

RolStoppable said:
Frazier is right, the marketing is to blame. Apparently EA was advertising the game for 8-12 year old boys instead of copying Nintendo's "This game is for everyone" strategy.

i agree, when i showed boom blox to my 10 years old nephew he didnt like it and started playing brawl, me on the other hand dont play brawl much and enjoy boom blox

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Combine this:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=27380

First 18 months software units (US):

Wii - 50 million (not including Wii Sports)
X360 - 28 million
PS3 - 20 million
PS2 - 42 million

First 18 months hardware units (US):

Wii - 9.5 million
X360 - 5.2 million
PS3 - 4.2 million
PS2 - 8.5 million

With this:

And it doesn't seem quite the doom and gloom for third party software.

The big flaw in the logic of the artcle is that first month sales are not the best to judge Wii titles.

If we judged M&S on first month sales, it wouldn't look like a big seller. Eight months later and it's a juggernaut of sales.

If you market a game to children with no money, that's who it's going to sell to. Games don't sell based on quality, they sell based on marketing. That's how all this awful crap like Army of Two, Lost Planet, and Kane & Lynch sells on the HD consoles. Games sell on advertising, and if you don't advertise well, you aren't going to sell your game unless you are a very well-known established franchise.

Hey naz, not that Star Ocean 4 was announced, have you decided which system (360 or PS3) you´ll get?