By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - View of MGS4 from a new PS3 owner, and not so big fan of the series...

Well, having just bought a PS3, I wanted to rent a game for the weekend to break it in. Unfortunately my videostore didn't have Ratchet and Clank (the game I really wanted to try) but they did have one copy of MGS4 left, so I decided to go with that. I like the MGS series, but I'm not crazy about it. The first one I thought was brilliant, the second I thought was convoluted with average gameplay and dumb bosses, and the third I never finished but enjoyed the first three or four hours of, but wasn't blown away. I like the series, but I'm not gaga over it. Even though MGS4 wasn't at the top of my list of PS3 games to try, I figured I might as well.

So what do I think about MGS4? In a word, awesome. I played for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours last night beating the first chapter, and I have to say it was a blast. Leading snake through a middle east warzone was freaking awesome. It's not all sunshine and roses though, I still think the combat feels akward, though not as bad as some of the past games. And even though at times I'm blown away by the graphics, there are times I'm also very underwelmed by poor textures that seem out of place in an otherwise gorgeous game.

The mood it sets is very well done and always manages to hit it's mark. From the instant I saw snake smoking a cigarette in the truck I felt sorry for him. He was old, grizzled, and had spent far too much time fighting in wars. You could feel the desperation when snake found liquid and he was just trying to get a shot in the chaos. The symbolism can be subtle, but effective such as when snake finds out his mission, and it cuts to the scene of an at the time unknown little girl cracking eggs, and she cracks to eggs in the pan while singing. One comes out perfect, solid, and the other yolk cracks and smears becoming liquid. It was simple, but effective and seemed somehow sinister, ominous. Kojima can certainly direct a game when he wants to. The cut scenes haven't been as intrusive as they have been in past games either, which I like.

Each little section feels like a self contained level and challenge that can be approached in different ways, with an obvious end goal in mind. Which I also enjoy, it keeps itself focused. Your job is to get from point A to point B (the mark on your radar) by any means necessary. I personally found stealth preferable, but it's mostly because I find the combat akward. At the risk of coming off as a fanboy, dual analogue feels incredibly dated now. I really really really wish I could just point at the screen in order to aim, because trying to aim with the second stick feels incredibly slow and clunkly now. Especially when I was (small spoilers, tiny really) fighting those "frogs" in the building after meeting up with my contact. When I got to the ground floor and there is that last big shoot out, I tried to use some petrol bombs. But popping my head up over the counter and then trying to aim and adjust the trajectory with the dual sticks while they just shot me felt really antiquated, and would have felt much smoother with an IR pointer.

Over all however I'm really enjoying it. I'm taking my wife shopping this morning, but this afternoon and evening it's just me and old snake and I can't wait to see what the next mission brings. I'm not a huge fan of the MGS series, but I am so far a huge fan of MGS4.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

I agree with you not be a huge fan. Although i'm only a fan of metal gear solid 2 and 3. I hope this game will start increase of sales for the ps3. This game seems like it could really put the ps3 back on top. I'm hoping socom:confronation, little big planet,final fantasy versus xiii,final fantasy xiii, god of war 3 and tekken 6 will help close the gap between the 360 and ps3. And that the ps3 will finally be in second place hopefully by the second or third quarter in 2009. Like people say, a lot can happen in a year from now.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

mg4 best game evers

Good write up. The controls are definitely not simple. I was fortunate enough to get into the beta so I was already pretty familiar with the mechanics, but I remember how easy it was to fumble up the controls and get annihilated. Learning the controls shouldn't be as bad when playing single player simply because you can pause the game, whereas online you just get instantly fragged.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

I am glad you are liking it so far....if only you knew what wonders still await you throughout the whole game..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

I m also new to franchise ,,,and I m loving it,,,those goddam jumpy cows lool,,,,,the bosses look absolutely beautiful,,,I mean the charac design is top notch,,,and the graphics??OMG

wow....I never realized the egg cracking thins could be symbolism

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Yeah, it's pretty safe to assume that just about everything is somehow symbolic or significant. The game is very much like a classic novel you might read in an English Lit class or like an oscar nominated movie.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Actually, I just remembered in that first egg cracking scene Vagabond mentions, the girl says (mild spoiler) "Only two eggs today, Solidus must have taken a break today"  Kind of a fun fact

My Top 5:

glad to hear you like it, MGS4 is now my favorite ps3 game, the graphics, cutscenes, gameplay are amazing, it truly deserves 10/10