By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Your post-launch MGS4 Impressions?

MGS4 is the best game I've played in a long time. I just finished Act 3 and I am amazed how good this game.

My Top 5 Games of All Time

1. FF7 4. SSX Tricky

2. FE7 5. RE4

3. MGS4

VALENCIA CF

SACRAMENTO KINGS

Around the Network
kasillas88 said:
Million said:
i feel like crying considering I can't get the game yet.

Same here pal. :(

Count me in.. Bundles are currently out of stock at my place. :C

rocketpig said:
I'm still in Act 1 and the opening monologue had me in tears. Laughing. Which I don't think was Kojima's intent. Kudos to his cinematic opening, though. Very high quality stuff.

The install screen was awesome... Way to keep me entertained during an extremely mundane process, Kojima.

I'm very pleased with the controls. Good riddance to MGS3 and its shit control system.

I'm not far enough into the story yet to really say much about it.

How far are you now? 

Is your opinion improving or deteriorating as you play more?

ACT....uh 4 Naked Snake Normal not gonna spoiler anything but i love this game.

Incert Witty Comment on how i'm a fanboy of all systems including PC here.

Act 5 on Solid Normal and enjoying it.

It kind of sucks that the game leaves behind the whole 'war all around you' thing after you leave to find Big Mama, doesn't mean the game stops being awesome though. Did anybody else find the patriot statues on the front of Outer Haven made to look like Mount Rushmore to be funny Kojima humor? It was a little weird to see that at first, but I thought it was funny. 

Around the Network

Act 3 for me, taking my timeand exploring everything

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

DTG said:
rocketpig said:
I'm still in Act 1 and the opening monologue had me in tears. Laughing. Which I don't think was Kojima's intent. Kudos to his cinematic opening, though. Very high quality stuff.

The install screen was awesome... Way to keep me entertained during an extremely mundane process, Kojima.

I'm very pleased with the controls. Good riddance to MGS3 and its shit control system.

I'm not far enough into the story yet to really say much about it.

How far are you now? 

Is your opinion improving or deteriorating as you play more?

It's staying pretty steady. I'm impressed with the game and its presentation but the same problems I have with MGS storylines and dialogue are still there. Hayter is still a shitty voice actor, too.

Enough negatives, though. The level design in Act I was brilliant and the multiple paths through the level were a welcome addition. Kojima's idea to rip Splinter Cell's control system was a good one. It makes for a vastly superior experience. Overall, there are loads of little touches that really impress me. The "X" button during flashbacks, the OctoCamo system (thank God that ridiculous camo system from MGS3 is gone), choice over an action/stealth approach, and the MK II robot spring to mind immediately.

Now I'm just waiting to get to the first real boss battle to see if Kojima has retained his ability to put together stellar (and hilarious) boss fights. It's one of MGS's strong points.

It took all of 30 minutes for this game to fly right by MGS2 & 3 on my "Best MG game of all time" list. Time will tell if it has the chutzpah to get past the original MGS. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

SlorgNet said:
Still on Act I, and my jaw is still rolling around on the floor.

I'm usually a harsh critic of videogames - they never seem to live up to their potential.

But Kojima nailed it. Everything about the game - cut-scenes, mechanics, pacing, visuals, game-play - has been honed to perfection. There's comedy, there's tragedy, there's... um... advertising. (No spoilers, but you'll know it when you see/hear it.) The balance between action and stealth is marvelous.

If you own a PS3 - get this game.

Haha thats a good point, I've seen some pretty funny advertisements and like mockery advertisments.

I am going to replay it before I consider ranking the games. Having recently replayed MGS1 (GC), watched MGS2 on youtube, and watched MGS3 Theater edition, I think MGS4 needs a 2nd playthrough...you know...to be fair. Gameplay-wise it's obviously the best.

MGS4 is a masterpiece. That much I can say.

Just beat it last night and yes it is probably the best game i have ever played

MetalGearSolid1- Its the Original
MetalGearSolid2- Least Favorite
MetalGearSolid3- 2nd Favorite/Favorite Bosses
MetalGearSolid4- Best Game i have ever Played

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX