By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PAL charts week 24 (2008), METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF PATRIOTS first week

News chart track added:

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=559&s=1111

MGS4 sold only 122 k in UK, if i remember well the number of gran turismo 5 prologue which was 120 k.

Around the Network

muahahah me and crazy where the only ones close to the sales lol

MGS4 deserves these sales, I hope everyone with a PS3 can enjoy this masterpiece.

mM

Pretty low compared to what people were expecting for MGS4: 122k (Extrapolated to 100%)

Yeah, MGS4 at 120-140k.

Just as in Japan, MGS4 is tracking almost exactly like its predecessors, regardless of install base. I'm feeling very good about my 5 million WW prediction about now.

I don't think I entirely understand why people thought MGS4 would sell better in the UK -- these seem like reasonable figures to me. I remember people arguing that MGS4 would sell up to par with MGS2/3 in Japan, and I agreed with them; the argument was that despite install base, the MGS fanbase is very loyal, and will purchase this game regardless of cost or platform choice. Again, I agreed with that.

Given that reasonining, why wouldn't the same hold true in the UK? Regardless of userbase, MGS4 will sell about as well as MGS2/3. I suppose people thought that the regardless of userbase logic only applies if the PS3 is selling poorly? It doesn't matter if the PS3 is selling poorly (as in Japan) or selling well (as in the UK), MGS has a group of people who love it and that group doesn't seem to change much if you have 10 million users or 100 million.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

First week MGS4 ales are almost the same as GT5P, so that probably means about 400k opening week sales in others.

122.000 is low sales???
For an ULTRA HARDCORE title?
And furthermore, I think it will have great legs.
Still, it is almost the 25% of the launch sales of GTAIV
And that shows how mainstream is the BEST game of this generation so far (I mean GTA)
NG falls, Civ Rev almost bombs (but trust me, it is an AWESOME game) and GTA 360 has greta legs. Exactly what this masterpiece deserves.

Bodhesatva said:

Yeah, MGS4 at 120-140k.

Just as in Japan, MGS4 is tracking almost exactly like its predecessors, regardless of install base. I'm feeling very good about my 5 million WW prediction about now.

I don't think I entirely understand why people thought MGS4 would sell better in the UK -- these seem like reasonable figures to me. I remember people arguing that MGS4 would sell up to par with MGS2/3 in Japan, and I agreed with them; the argument was that despite install base, the MGS fanbase is very loyal, and will purchase this game regardless of cost or platform choice. Again, I agreed with that.

Given that reasonining, why wouldn't the same hold true in the UK? Regardless of userbase, MGS4 will sell about as well as MGS2/3. I suppose people thought that the regardless of userbase logic only applies if the PS3 is selling poorly? It doesn't matter if the PS3 is selling poorly (as in Japan) or selling well (as in the UK), MGS has a group of people who love it and that group doesn't seem to change much if you have 10 million users or 100 million.

Yeah, I over predicted sales for MGS4 in UK after seeing the crazy attach rate of GTA IV. In hindsight expecting sales in line with previous installments of the franchise would have been the sensible thing to do. Still very good sales regardless.

@Lombardo 

GT5:P was tracked at 108k (90%) and extrapolated to 120k.  I need to fix the fastest sellers chart, some are extrapolated and some aren't. I've been working on this already.

Brain Training has now spent 74 weeks in the All Formats Top 10 - 5 weeks more and it will equal the current record holder.

It's pretty much a lock that it will surpass that number and them some. I could see it beating 100 weeks.

BKK2 said:
Bodhesatva said:

Yeah, MGS4 at 120-140k.

Yeah, I over predicted sales for MGS4 in UK after seeing the crazy attach rate of GTA IV. In hindsight expecting sales in line with previous installments of the franchise would have been the sensible thing to do. Still very good sales regardless.

@Lombardo 

GT5:P was tracked at 108k (90%) and extrapolated to 120k.  I need to fix the fastest sellers chart, some are extrapolated and some aren't. I've been working on this already.

I agree, very solid sales. I'm still predicting 5M worldwide for MGS4, which is great for a PS3 title and better than the previous installment of MGS, turning around a consistent series decline.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">