By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ninty suing Nyko for the Wireless Nunchuk infrigment copyright

Galaki said:
Perhaps, one shouldn't jump to conclusion that Nintendo is at fault here.
Perhaps, Nyko is using identical parts other than the wireless module.

If I am trying to sell my product and someone else decided to sell identical product by copying me, I sure as hell would be suing their ass off along with their dogs.

*Agress* Those wireless Nunchucks steal from Nintendo, since they patented there idea. Wasn't there a game recently that stole from Oblivion and the makers are now getting sued? Its the same thing.

Around the Network

I don't really know what to say, really
maybe they stole a future design or something....

The reason it took so long for Nintendo to respond btw is likely because they've been trying to work out a deal in talks for a while now. One side didn't see eye to eye with the other and so we have a lawsuit now.

A lot of these companies infringe on patents because they know that in many cases the only form of punishment from the court system is going to be a court order forcing them to pay the fair value for what they should have paid to begin with (note "fair" is a somewhat subjective term) ...so they have no incentive to slow themselves down and they prefer to rush to market.

To Each Man, Responsibility
kn said:
Apparently none of you know anything about trademark violations. A company is OBLIGATED to defend its trademarks and patents if they desire to keep them. I doubt Ninty is all that concerned about Nyko's infringement as a single point of reference, but Nintendo MUST defend their trademark or they lose the ability to do so in the future. By law, Ninty can't look the other way while certain companies violate their trademark and then decide at one point to start enforcing it on others. This is to protect the Nunchuck (and no doubt send a message concerning the Wiimote) that no-one can copy their design(s). This is pure and simple a method to protect the "innovation" of the nunchuck (and wiimote by inference).

If Nyko had approached Nintendo and "licensed" the right to make the wireless Nunchuck, Nintendo could easily have allowed it and still protected their intellectual property. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if that is the route they go -- force them to license and pay back royalties -- then carry on.....

Winner.

Although, if you look at the Nyko Nunchuk, I believe this suit is about "trade dress" and not so much "trade marks."

Nintendo is not only right in filing suit, they are legally obligated to do so or risk losing future protection on their designs for the Wii remote and the Nunchuk. If they allow Nyko to make a virtually indistinguishible knock-off using the same plastics, LEDs, rubber components, and form, then nothing would prohibit Microsoft of Sony from doing the same later.

This isn't any different than a company such as Coca-Cola defending the shape of their bottle. Nintendo's most valuable asset right now is the iconic look of the Wii remote, and so, by extension, all the other peripherals that go with it.

i think NIN will win, but after they just cant go and releace the same nunchuck that NYko did, now they have to make it better, include rumble or a specker or somthing. I know it would drain the battery, but maybe they could include a rechargable battery pack. Anyway, NIN probably sued Nyko since they released their planned design for the future nunchuck before NIN did, that and all the trade mark, dress stuff.

Around the Network

Surely the Vii is liable for ths aswell?!?!? exact shape, colour etc

Thatmax said:
Surely the Vii is liable for ths aswell?!?!? exact shape, colour etc
Vii was from China, you cant sue Chinese company from copyright infrigment, because of their weird non exixtent copyright laws. 

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Shit! You mean that Nyko isn't pumping out crappily made 3rd party peripherils, but is actually using quality compared to Nintendo's own design?! I'm gonna go and buy this up before it gets shut out! These things'll go for $100s for collectors.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

^Doubtful third party accessories from the NES days aren't worth much more than they were brand new if you have the box and case for them. Even rare items like Activisions Wireless controllers only go for about $40 CIB.

wonder if it has anything to do with the sync process in the Kama.

It could be a preemptive strike because Nintendo is (a) planning its own wireless nunchuck or (b) wants to be able to sue companies who knock-off their controller (Microsoft's X-Mote).

And if you think this is frivolous though, you should see what Monster Cables sues people for (Timex for packaging styles, a children's toy company for its Monster Mini-Golf set, etc.). Similarly, I am on the board of a national organization that got sued because we changed our name by another group who said our new acronym was too close to their acronym.

Usually, these things get negotiated. Lawyers live for it and love it.

Mike from Morgantown

PS --
More t

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV