By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - TOV or TOS; Which do you think will be better reviewed?

I just realized that this thread was about reviews and not sales-age.

Crap.

Around the Network

Probably ToV beacuse it's in HD graphics and for the last 1,5 years that what matters the most to reviewers sadly.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Munkeh111 said:
ToV will get better reviews because all the games journalists hate the wii

Bingo!

I hope both are great. 

However, if I had to choose one that I hope is the "best" I would go with ToS2, because the Wii needs good 3rd party games, and I'm a HUGE fan of the first ToS and the team that created ToS and TotA. That team is very solid, and I have no doubt the game will be as good as TotA. Still, I really want both of these games to be great.

One thing everyone should realize is Tales of games are very different, and ToV will have an entirely different battle system and game flow than ToS(I imagine). The Tales of series is hit and miss, but the ToS team is all hit, so I can't believe that this game could be worse than the excellent TotA, I can't wait for them both. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz didn't respond to my post on page 1.

didn't see it.  Got caught in the end.  It seemed odd that you were using it as a point of your arguement since you can't quantify how many points it would get "for being good with nothing" vs how many it would lose for being a sequel.

To me it seems like a net even vs ToV.

Bored4life said:
sc94597 said:
Andrex said:
They'll both probably be average, however the difference is that Tales of Symphonia will fill the "good" RPG void in the Wii's library nicely, while Vesperia has to compete with much much better RPGs.

So I say Symphonia.

I wouldn't calle the 85.7 average that the first ToS had on the GC average.

Below 90 is crap.

Didn't you get the memo? 

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles fan for life. <3

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
disolitude said:

Its kinda pushing it when it comes to scape goats don't you think... Whats next? Game was made on a Friday?

Not really. I think you can point to a number of Wii games that were marked down in part for the system it was on.

In some cases it might be anger at the wii. In most cases i'd imagine it has more to do with critics not liking motion controls or not dealing with games being different then expected. It's easy to compare a FPS to other FPS... what do you compare Wii Sports to... or Wii Fit even?

Who even reviews these games? When your system is set up so that you have the reviewer who likes those types of games best reviews the game.... what do you do when the game is new? When there isn't anything like it? You don't have anybody who is biased towawrds the genre or type of game like JRPG John who's been playing ever since FF1.

I don't think it's intentional, but I do think it's fair to go in expecting wii games to get lower reviews because unlike the HD systems where it's easy enough to say "this looks better then the last one" the Wii's improvements are harder to quantify, and new play mechanics... are well new.

It's hard to judge a peach's quality if it's the first peach you've ever eaten. Your main instict is probably going to be to put it in the "middle" because from their you'd have plenty of room to adjust up or down as need be.

I think all systems get fair reviews. With the wii I see a lot of reviewers letting the graphics, sound and presentation department off the hook because its wii after all. They usually call it "cute" or say graphics have "charater" and good art direction and give the game 8 or a 9 for that department.

Take no more heroes.  Cell shading was done 7 years ago on the dreamcast better than that game and it chugs like crazy. But IGN says

Graphics - 8
A great cel-shaded look, fluid animations, and style to spare. Again, the open world aspects see a huge decrease in quality overall

There is no way that game is an 8, if so, GTA4 is a 32.

I think Vesperia will be reviewed higher overall in the end, but I still think that they both will get like 8.5's and up.

myspace.com/neorayj

BluJay said:
I think Vesperia will be reviewed higher overall in the end, but I still think that they both will get like 8.5's and up.
The only Tales game that managed to get 8.5 or higher was Symphonia.  All of the other Tales games were in the early to late 70s range

BluJay said:

That would just be ideal.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Naum said:
Probably ToV beacuse it's in HD graphics and for the last 1,5 years that what matters the most to reviewers sadly.

Yeah, thats why SSBB and Mario Galaxy have so low scores, well, Gundam Crossfire is in HD, it may have gotten a great score....wait

Seriously, stop crying.