By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA Sale UP!!! Terrible PS3 sales!!

So, what are the predictions for next week. I think it's clear that PS3 will outsell 360, but does it have a chance at beating Wii for a week?

Some PS3 fans seem to be convinced that PS3 will sell around 200.000 or more (NA) because of the bundles and the first important exclusive.
I think it should sell at least 150.000 (NA) next week to be a moderate success and over 250.000 would be very good.

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
While I still do not think the sales would be hugely strong, I do think that the PS3 is suffering from pre-metal gear syndrome, with BC consoles just around the corner, people are willing to wait.

that is my case ! why buy a ps3 now? is just giving away mgs4

11ht11 said:
Desroko said:
11ht11 said:
isnt this the week MGS 4 is released?

Not unless ioi finally perfected the flux capacitor and got his hands on some plutonium.

no im saying shouldnt ps3 sales be higher?

nop, is better to wait for the bundle

BengaBenga said:
So, what are the predictions for next week. I think it's clear that PS3 will outsell 360, but does it have a chance at beating Wii for a week?

Some PS3 fans seem to be convinced that PS3 will sell around 200.000 or more (NA) because of the bundles and the first important exclusive.
I think it should sell at least 150.000 (NA) next week to be a moderate success and over 250.000 would be very good.

You think PS3 sales will triple in the USA? 

Did that even happen with the last price cut? 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Jai93485 said:
11ht11 said:
Desroko said:
11ht11 said:
isnt this the week MGS 4 is released?

Not unless ioi finally perfected the flux capacitor and got his hands on some plutonium.

no im saying shouldnt ps3 sales be higher?

Uh, not necessarily. I think the important thing to look for is the effect of the bundle next week. Now I don't think it's going to propel the console to 100k magically in the US, but I fully expect the bundle to push the PS3 past the 360. If MGS4 is going to push consoles leading up to release, they might as well wait for a PS3 that has the game they want. It's only a 35 dollar price difference, and the HDD and software BC pretty much makes up for that. So why buy it now when you can get a much better package the following week?

dont forget it comes with the DS3 too

Around the Network
starcraft said:
BengaBenga said:

No, I don't think it will happen. GTA launch week didn't even manage to sell that. It is the feeling I get from reading the boards here. I think people should prepare for a massive dissapointment.

I mean last week's numbers are horrible if you take into account that it's the week before the FIRST BIG EXCLUSIVE launches. The thought that every customer knows about the 80GB bundle and is postponing the purchase of a PS3 is laughable. At the very least we should have seen an upward trend.
MGS is not even close to GTA in popularity, despite that one being multiplat it seems clear to me that the impact of GTA (biggest game of the year) is bigger than MGS4. And we all know that the impact wasn't exactly amazing.

eliasg said:
Playstation is known as the PES platform
and XBOX as the HALO platform...

LOL, what is PES???

Pro Evolution Soccer...which I believe is also known as Winning Eleven.

BengaBenga said:
starcraft said:
BengaBenga said:

No, I don't think it will happen. GTA launch week didn't even manage to sell that. It is the feeling I get from reading the boards here. I think people should prepare for a massive dissapointment.

I mean last week's numbers are horrible if you take into account that it's the week before the FIRST BIG EXCLUSIVE launches. The thought that every customer knows about the 80GB bundle and is postponing the purchase of a PS3 is laughable. At the very least we should have seen an upward trend.
MGS is not even close to GTA in popularity, despite that one being multiplat it seems clear to me that the impact of GTA (biggest game of the year) is bigger than MGS4. And we all know that the impact wasn't exactly amazing.

this is different a) gta was not exclusive and b) we knew there was a mgs bundle coming soon, not everyone think a game has to be bough in the first week. I'll buy gta after i get the mgs bundle

Squilliam said:
steverhcp02 said:
Squilliam said:
Hey I guess that means that my prediction that the Xbox360 sales will exceed PS3 sales from July until the end of the year (Average) might come true after all.

A 30-60k boost from a pricecut in North America is all thats required to do it now.

i dont understand your logic....are you talking WW or in NA? if NA, thats not a bold prediction at all...if WW id say youre out of your mind. MGS4 has global appeal and is being bundled across the world on a simaltaneous release.....the PS3 will most likely outsell the 360 by 100k per week worldwide after this week for the rest of the summer if the bundle is replenished. IMO. Your looking at, hopefully a consistant 20k in Japan for a while on average, a constant 40 or 50k in "others" and likely a good 40k in the states....again, depending on the bundle availability.

Yep I was talking world wide. But quarter 3 so most of the boost from MGS4 would be last quarters' news anyway.

I just took into account simple things like the refresh thats going to be bigger than the Falcon one in terms of cost savings, because A the GPU + heatsink are big and expensive and B they have to set aside FAR less money for repair and C they are shrinking every chip inside the machine at the same time. So a price cut would make sense really, the market seems to be saturating at that price level and the economic situation in the states is actually helping the Xbox360 as consumers are much more price concious now than the were 6 months ago.

Furthermore console sales are low, especially for the HD consoles in the states... All it takes is for one of the consoles to take off and leave the other behind because worldwide they are closer now than they ever were at any point in this year. Im just picking that it will be the Xbox to pick up in sales with a price cut.

hmmm, thats decent enough. However, clearly a price cut will be the largest factor...not games or exclusives or anything, so its plausible....but m only problem is basing an entire prediction or logic based on a not even rumored price cut at this point.

MGS4 is probably the "biggest" game for the PS3 until FF13 simply because it appeals to all 3 major markets......we should see a hardware boost all over the world, combined with the bundle for new owners on the fence. This is why i believe if sony can replenish the bundles theres no chance the 360 will be close to th ePS3 the rest of the gear.....that is unless MSFT bundles GoW2 and adds a $50 price drop across the board and lowers the core to $199.