By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's the Xbox 360 and why my PS3 needs shot

It's wierd guys but this gen the Playstation and Xbox have switched around. Its hard to find any type of Japanes game on PS3, its best games are all shooters and racers. But the 360 is the PS2 of this gen. So much more variety. Who would have thought that.?

Around the Network

@Goddbless

Here's the flaw in that logic: JRPG fans don't have to cross over. The fans can simply lose interest. Just look at Japan from the start of this generation. There have been a number of JRPG releases, but they've all pretty much been on the 360. In 2 1/2 years, pretty much no one has bought a 360, and JRPG sales have plummeted compared to past generations. Where have all the JRPG fans gone? I think a lot of them have faded away. Based on sales, it's pretty clear the interest in the JRPG genre is at an all time low. And for the first time ever, the concentration of JRPGs have been diffused over multiple systems, which IMO is weakening the genre.

This whole situation in which MS pays for JRPGs is certainly not helping MS and it's certainly hurting Sony, but the most nefarious consequence is the demise of the JRPG.

N.B. I'm not saying the genre is dead, but with DQ on the DS and FFXIII on the PS3 and everything else on the 360, the genre has become more niche and less profitable than ever.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

@selnor

Uncharted, Ratchet, Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword......wow they are all in the same genre aren't they

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

selnor said:
It's wierd guys but this gen the Playstation and Xbox have switched around. Its hard to find any type of Japanes game on PS3, its best games are all shooters and racers. But the 360 is the PS2 of this gen. So much more variety. Who would have thought that.?

I agree with the variety statement, but IMO (and I don't mean to start a flamewar here) the 360 doesn't even come close to equaling the PS2 in quality. The 360 has a bunch of great shooters and great WRPGs, but they don't have much quality in the other genres (compared to the PS2). Breadth vs Depth. 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
selnor said:

I agree with the variety statement, but IMO (and I don't mean to start a flamewar here) the 360 doesn't even come close to equaling the PS2 in quality. The 360 has a bunch of great shooters and great WRPGs, but they don't have much quality in the other genres (compared to the PS2). Breadth vs Depth. 

I agree, but you cannot come close to a system that had thousands of games in just a few years

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
jman8 said:
selnor said:

I agree, but you cannot come close to a system that had thousands of games in just a few years

Sorry dudes, I dint mean it had as many games. Of course PS2 has more it's been out nearly 7 years. What I meant was 360 is heading that way alot more than PS3, and PS3 seems to be heading the way Xbox was in terms of games(with maybe a few extra Japanese games). The tell tale signs are PS3 in Japan. Sony must be horrified that the sales in their home country are close to the 360's. 

@ selnor, well I think the main genre that 360 has the advantage is the jRPG, but other than that, the PS3 does have a very varied library

disolitude said:
Profcrab said:
It is truly a weird situation with the 360 having many of these JRPGs. It seems counter-productive when it is likely that they would sell much better on the PS3 because of the Japanese sales. The only thing I can think of is that the development costs are much lower for the 360 and they figure they can still make money with less sales if they keep their costs down. Of course, if I was going to develop a JRPG now, I'd make it for the Wii, not the PS3 or 360.

I give this thread a 9.7.

Kinda like 3rd parties making exclusive FPS games for ps3 don't you think?

@obieslut

LOL, mine would not exist without MGS4.

Bingo!  Yep, same thing.  It does sound rather silly, doesn't it?  From a business standpoint, unless the hardware maker backed up the cash truck to their door, why on earth would someone make a game exclusive to a console that isn't particularly known for that type of game?  I can understand why a first or second party developer does it, sure.  If you are developing an FPS, why wouldn't you put it on the 360 which has a big stake in the North American market where the FPS market is huge.  Same with JRPGs, why make them for a console that doesn't sell well in one of the prime markets?  Someone is getting some cash somewhere or there are just some people making bad business decisions.

I give that post a 9.8.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

selnor said:
Munkeh111 said:
jman8 said:
selnor said:

Sorry dudes, I dint mean it had as many games. Of course PS2 has more it's been out nearly 7 years. What I meant was 360 is heading that way alot more than PS3, and PS3 seems to be heading the way Xbox was in terms of games(with maybe a few extra Japanese games). The tell tale signs are PS3 in Japan. Sony must be horrified that the sales in their home country are close to the 360's. 

About sales yes, sure Sony isn't pleased with those figures, but MGS 4 is being released this week, so I'm sure it will grow at least for a month from now on.

Your opinion fails on the other part by the fact that PS3 is out for a 1,5 years now, while the xbox 360 has at least 3 years now. I strongly feel that PS3 allready has more genres filled with a least one good (Not great or perfect) title than the 360 in it's first year. Only race/shooters mainly. I'm more pleased with the opinion that the market will be more divided and so will the titles be. (Less exclusive, more multiplatform) So the PS3 will gets his fair share of good/great titles also.

jman8 said:
@Goddbless

Here's the flaw in that logic: JRPG fans don't have to cross over. The fans can simply lose interest. Just look at Japan from the start of this generation. There have been a number of JRPG releases, but they've all pretty much been on the 360. In 2 1/2 years, pretty much no one has bought a 360, and JRPG sales have plummeted compared to past generations. Where have all the JRPG fans gone? I think a lot of them have faded away. Based on sales, it's pretty clear the interest in the JRPG genre is at an all time low. And for the first time ever, the concentration of JRPGs have been diffused over multiple systems, which IMO is weakening the genre.

This whole situation in which MS pays for JRPGs is certainly not helping MS and it's certainly hurting Sony, but the most nefarious consequence is the demise of the JRPG.

N.B. I'm not saying the genre is dead, but with DQ on the DS and FFXIII on the PS3 and everything else on the 360, the genre has become more niche and less profitable than ever.

(Yes, you're eyes don't deceive you, I just quoted myself!)

Here's the counter-argument that assumes JRPG fans have not faded away: In the last gen, there was effectively only one console with JRPGs: the PS2. Therefore all the fans were concentrated on that system. For arguments sake, let's say there were 10 million JRPG fans and they all had PS2s.

In this generation, the JRPGs are spread across 3 systems: DS has DQ, PS3 has FFXII and vXIII, and the 360 basically has everything else. So now, those JRPG fans don't have one system to rely on. All of a sudden they have to spread across three systems. Some of those fans will buy multiple systems, but most probably will not. Again, for argument's sake, let's say JRPG fans bought 4 million of each of the three systems (that adds up to 12million which help accounts for people who buy multiple systems). It should be pretty clear that no one system comes close to having the market that the PS2 had.

Obviously, these numbers aren't based in reality, but the point is that for each system, the JRPG market is just a fraction of what the PS2 had. Therefore, it's significantly harder to make profitable JRPGs in this climate, which means you're going to see less risky and innovative titles, which in turn only hurts the genre. 

My Top 5: