By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 breaks 1m sales in PAL territories, time to change the Euro numbers

SCEE boss David Reeves talks exclusively to MCV

Sony has spoken exclusively to MCV this week about its robust PlayStation 3 launch – offering an official sales update and a unique insight into its software strategy for Q4.

The console was launched on March 23rd and has sailed past the one million milestone in Europe and other PAL territories in under ten weeks.

David Reeves, SCEE president, chose MCV to stress that the figure is for sell-through rather than sell-in and hugely impressive in a historical context. “Early last week we went through the one million mark on PS3. And we did that in nine and a half weeks,” he confirmed.

“That was faster than both PS2 and PSOne. And I think that the analysts out there will also realise that it’s faster than our brothers and sisters in the competitive world.”

In terms of software sales, Reeves claimed that around two million units of first party software have been sold into the channel, with Resistance: Fall of Man notching up around 600,000 units and Motorstorm edging past the 500,000 mark.

He also admitted that there has been something of a lull in releases since launch, but promised that “our big bangs will be arriving around September and October; Phil [Harrison] will be announcing these at a later date, but they will probably be in the arena of social gaming as well as more traditional games”.

Reeves was also bullish about take-up of the online service, revealing that around 460,000 gamers have already registered to the PlayStation Network.

But he refused to be drawn on any comparisons with Microsoft’s rival service.

“I don’t feel we’re competing with Xbox Live in any way. We’re in a different stadium. And with the introduction of Home at Christmas, we’re going in a completely different direction with something very entertaining.

“We don’t have our eyes on the competition in any way.”

Well i thought the ps3 was selling better in pal territories then this website was tracking it at. After 10 weeks and two days this website has the ps3 at 951,885 and in reality after 9 and a half weeks it has sold 1,000,000. Still pretty good estimates from ioi but it would be nice if the site was updated. I think the uk ps3 numbers have been heavily underestimated.

Around the Network

This was already posted and discussed to death in another place in this forum:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=2898 

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

yea so..

NO.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

NJ5 said:

Well it was only put up on mcv the website/industry magazine today. I still think vgcharts numbers should be changed, their already is a difference of 50,000~ plus 5 days more of sales to add on which would roughly put the total at 70,000~ difference. Like i said i really doubt the ps3 is being outsold by the xbox360 in europe and the main problem with the ps3 estimates on this site are the uk ones, which have the ps3 selling less than half of what the xbox360 does. On amazon the ps3 is ahead of the xbox360 most of time. Also that means with the euro software figures resistance fall of man has sold just under 1.5 million and motorstorm has sold just under 1 million worldwide.

blowfish said:
NJ5 said:

Well it was only put up on mcv the website/industry magazine today. I still think vgcharts numbers should be changed, their already is a difference of 50,000~ plus 5 days more of sales to add on which would roughly put the total at 70,000~ difference. Like i said i really doubt the ps3 is being outsold by the xbox360 in europe and the main problem with the ps3 estimates on this site are the uk ones, which have the ps3 selling less than half of what the xbox360 does. On amazon the ps3 is ahead of the xbox360 most of time. Also that means with the euro software figures resistance fall of man has sold just under 1.5 million and motorstorm has sold just under 1 million worldwide.

then also wii and 360 numbers should added , but this is once a week

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

@ ioi

I understand you believe in your data, but you know no tracking system including your's is fully accurate. You believe Sony is overestimating the data they have and thus you stick by your figures, but you cannot honestly know for sure. You know there's some discepancy between your data and those from the NPD with regard to North America. However the European and 'other region' countries are much more complex, I think Sony as having access to 3rd party tracking and internal tracking must have the most accurate data. They know exactly how many units are being shipped to retailers and how much time it takes retailers to order more units.

Just out of interest, are Taiwanese sales included in the Japan or Others data? Do you track South African and Russian data? Is South America included in the Americas data?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

But tracking systems allow for as much as a 15% discrepancy between actual numbers. Having a 5% shows that this sites numbers are very good.

Sony's numbers are nothing more than a statistically analyzed guess, either. If you think they have exact numbers, you don't know much about statistics. Retail sell-through is always an estimation. It cannot be predicted exactly. IOIs numbers, for all regions, have proven to be very close to the "other estimates" being provided by agencies around the world. Those "others" are most certainly statistical estimates in their own right so there is no "exact" answer. Too many people look at the charts from various agencies such as media create and npd and say, "hey, IOI was off by 10% from the official numbers". The problem with that statement is that NPD, Media Create, and others, being estimates, can be off from exact as well. If there is a +- 5% from sony and VGC, they are statistically equivalent. Relax... there isn't a grand conspiracy on VGC to make the PS3 look bad. When the PS3 starts doing better, VGC will reflect that in their numbers.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kirby007 said:
blowfish said:
NJ5 said:

No you've misunderstood what i said. Sony have said they have sold 1,000,000 ps3's in 9 and a half weeks. Thats 1,000,000 in 66.5 days. Vgcharts numbers for the ps3 in europe run from march 23rd till june 3rd. That's a total of 73 days, so actually the difference is 6.5 days (basically a week). And vgcharts after 73 days has the ps3 only at 951,885. So theirs 48,115 of underestimating and thats with an extra 6.5 days worth of sales.

blowfish said:
kirby007 said:
blowfish said:
NJ5 said:

No you've misunderstood what i said. Sony have said they have sold 1,000,000 ps3's in 9 and a half weeks. Thats 1,000,000 in 66.5 days. Vgcharts numbers for the ps3 in europe run from march 23rd till june 3rd. That's a total of 73 days, so actually the difference is 6.5 days (basically a week). And vgcharts after 73 days has the ps3 only at 951,885. So theirs 48,115 of underestimating and thats with an extra 6.5 days worth of sales.

The other posts in the thread should more than convince you that that's basically a non-issue, though.

Move along people, nothing to see here...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957