By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 breaks 1m sales in PAL territories, time to change the Euro numbers

Listen Blowfish, here's how sales numbers are generated:

A bunch of data is collected from retailers, kind of like a poll 'cause not all retailers will provide data.

An algorithm is applied to the data to extrapolate it to the entire market, based on historical data and target markets and such.

At the end you get a possible range of values due to built-in intervals for the algorithm. Most tracking services stick to the lower end of this range to give conservative estimates. The people doing the actual selling (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, etc.) always choose the highest end of this range to be able to boast about higher sales. VGCharts is sitting near the middle of this range - thus why VGChartz is usually slightly higher than other tracking services and slightly lower than so-called "official" numbers from Sony/Nintendo/MS etc. Who's right? They all are, to some extent.

If you can't understand that, then there's no helping you.

And to everyone in this thread - lay off the attacks.

Around the Network
blowfish said:
albionus said:
blowfish said:
albionus said:
I'd say let the baby have his bottle, err 50k, doesn't change much, but no need to mess with the site's system or to encourage such behavior. I can only imagine how terrible it would be when we soon turn to the "has the Wii surpass the 360's WW install base" debate. Xbots will be crying for an extra couple 100k to delay the inevitable day while Nintendo fanboys do the same to speed the inevitable day. I'm not even going to think about the crying that will be induced should MS have a good holiday that nearly takes the 360 back over the Wii.

Great logic, im a baby because i posted an official press release that shows this websites numbers are off by 70,000~ whilst saying ioi generally does a good job.

Whoops, sorry, 70k. Thank you, I do try to stick to the utmost level of logical thinking. I did correct myself by the way, you're not a baby but a Sony fanboy. It's just hard to tell the two apart these days.

O good more insults. Is this the part where im supposed to post my xboxlive gamertag and show a picture of me playing wii sports??

Insults!? Mercy me.  Fanboy is only an insult when it's not true (if it's not I cheerfully withdraw it, even though DKII lacks the "fear me" mod signature his ID is in red so I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was attacking you).  You're not supposed to do anything, although you could take the advice of most of the posters and get over it. 

DKII said:
Listen Blowfish, here's how sales numbers are generated:

A bunch of data is collected from retailers, kind of like a poll 'cause not all retailers will provide data.

An algorithm is applied to the data to extrapolate it to the entire market, based on historical data and target markets and such.

At the end you get a possible range of values due to built-in intervals for the algorithm. Most tracking services stick to the lower end of this range to give conservative estimates. The people doing the actual selling (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, etc.) always choose the highest end of this range to be able to boast about higher sales. VGCharts is sitting near the middle of this range - thus why VGChartz is usually slightly higher than other tracking services and slightly lower than so-called "official" numbers from Sony/Nintendo/MS etc. Who's right? They all are, to some extent.

If you can't understand that, then there's no helping you.

And to everyone in this thread - lay off the attacks.

Absolutely agree with this. Both on the statistical validity and on the personal attacks.

Blowfish, Sony is doing the exact same thing that VGChartz is. That needs to be pointed out. Despite the fact that they are an enormous company that's on the inside of the Video Game market, they don't recieve much, if any information that VGChartz wouldn't be privy to as well. They have no mystical omniscient powers. They simply get a sampling of store data which allows them to estimate how many are sold overall, just like VGChartz does. Do they probably have more sampling points? Yes, but the general method remains the same. And Sony will always, always take the highest estimation possible without simply lying.

Nintendo and Microsoft have also released sales data suggesting that VGChartz is wrong. I can think of at least two Microsoft press releases that suggest that European and American sell through is higher than VGChartz has estimated, but Ioi didn't change it for the exact same reason. Quick question -- should Ioi change the Xbox360 numbers as well?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Honestly, I can't remember Nintendo or X360 fanboys freaking out about such a small discrepancy.

FishyJoe said:
Honestly, I can't remember Nintendo or X360 fanboys freaking out about such a small discrepancy.

They haven't. Remember when the Wii was under estimated by Ioi last time the NPD came out? He was 60,000+ behind. Don't remember a single complaint about that (even larger) discrepancy. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

Probably because they don't.

I think a lot of this PS3 fanboy backlash is from 20-somethings who have only played the Playstation brand and only saw its dominance over the past decade. To them, it's unfathomable that their precious console could ever lose a generation and they'll staunchly defend the PS3 no matter what.

To older folks like me who watched their childhood idols Atari and Sega smash themselves to pieces, we've learned that markets rise and fall and there's no need to get all hot and bothered about it. Since I started gaming, I've watched Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Sony, and Nintendo all rise to dominance at one point or another. I just don't care any more.

Sorry to take this rant off-topic. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

*hmm* this topic reminds me of the good old times

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

It's kind of pathetic really. There are 5-10% discrepancies between VGC numbers and Famitsu, M-Create and NPD numbers ALL THE TIME. But people don't cry bloody murder whenever there is a difference.

That's the nature of polling, there is always a margin of error.

rocketpig said:
FishyJoe said:

Probably because they don't.

I think a lot of this PS3 fanboy backlash is from 20-somethings who have only played the Playstation brand and only saw its dominance over the past decade. To them, it's unfathomable that their precious console could ever lose a generation and they'll staunchly defend the PS3 no matter what.

To older folks like me who watched their childhood idols Atari and Sega smash themselves to pieces, we've learned that markets rise and fall and there's no need to get all hot and bothered about it. Since I started gaming, I've watched Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Sony, and Nintendo all rise to dominance at one point or another. I just don't care any more.

Sorry to take this rant off-topic. 

I agree whole-heartedly.  I've taken several threads off topic with a similar spiel.  

DKII said:
To blowfish:

Nintendo announces 350,000 Wii's sold-through first two days in Europe

VGChartz numbers say in Wii's first *three* days in Europe, Wii sold 327,000 - a 7% difference.

So you see VGChartz undertracks official Nintendo numbers by about the same as they do official Sony numbers! So why aren't you also rampaging around looking to get Nintendo's numbers bumped up 7%? Heck let's just increase everyone 7% across the board!

I'm not going to go look up MS launch numbers since it's so long ago but I'm sure it's the same story.

Please read this thread for a more detailed look at how VGChartz compares to numbers from other tracking services in the PAL regions.

So the wii should be increased accordingly then.