By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ipod touch / phone ... PSP killer?

kowenicki said:
PS360ForTheWin said:
oh look a mobile phone that plays music and games, oh yeah i have a phone that does all the stuff the iphone does that cost me £70 on pay as you go, that was over a year ago.

i agree... but why do people buy PSP's?? software or hardware?

I bought it 30% for the hardware (style, functionality ect) and 70% for the software... though overall I supspect PSP is bought for 60/40 harwdware/software reasons, if you count pirating as a hardware reason...

Around the Network
DOATS1 said:
FishyJoe said:

Games really weren't really that much of the focus. Here are some of the apps that have been created so far. I'm sure there will be a lot more once developers get working. It's really just the tip of the iceberg.

Sure you might be able to do some of these things on other phones, but it will probably be a lot more clunky.

• eBay. Pretty much everything you'd need to do from a desktop browser can be done through eBay's iPhone app: bidding, searching for items, My eBay (so you can see how the sale of your old iPhone's going), watching items, and the like. It's free, but since you're giving eBay money every time you make a transaction, we'd expect it to be.
  • Loopt. Already a staple on a couple carriers, Loopt's location-based services allow friends to keep tabs on one another. It'll be free at the launch of the App Store.
  • TypePad. Following some of Six Apart's other moblogging efforts, the iPhone version of its TypePad client will allow realtime uploading of photos taken with the iPhone's cam. It'll also be free.
  • Associated Press. It seems the AP wants to turn us all into unpaid correspondents, offering an app that will allow users to upload footage.
  • Band. A collection of virtual instruments for creating music from scratch right on the iPhone. Probably not the most effective platform for creating songs if we had to guess, but hey, cool nonetheless! Available in a "few weeks' time."
  • MLB.com. Video baseball highlights, real-times stats and scores.

like you said, they can be done on other phones, just not as easily, but it's not exactly hard either. i have a sony ericsson w910i with 3g coverage. i can basically access the web with it (with the limitations of data charges of course), and to be honest i can get the information i need easily enough for me to prevent from upgrading.
xbox live/psn are a lot easier than wii connect 24, but that doesn't seem to matter though, does it?

You already have the smartphone, as you admit.  Perhaps the people who do not yet have it have different requirements for a phone?  Perhaps for them, the need to use a ridiculously small keyboard, or go through unintuitive menus is a turn off that keeps them from knowing that they actually do want a smartphone?

Also, I am pretty sure the iPhone is still the only phone with visual voicemail... is that correct?  Because that alone is the selling point to me.  Everything else is a bonus.  Once my contract with verizon is up in october, I cannot wait to jump ship.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

alpha_dk said:
DOATS1 said:
FishyJoe said:

Games really weren't really that much of the focus. Here are some of the apps that have been created so far. I'm sure there will be a lot more once developers get working. It's really just the tip of the iceberg.

Sure you might be able to do some of these things on other phones, but it will probably be a lot more clunky.

• eBay. Pretty much everything you'd need to do from a desktop browser can be done through eBay's iPhone app: bidding, searching for items, My eBay (so you can see how the sale of your old iPhone's going), watching items, and the like. It's free, but since you're giving eBay money every time you make a transaction, we'd expect it to be.
  • Loopt. Already a staple on a couple carriers, Loopt's location-based services allow friends to keep tabs on one another. It'll be free at the launch of the App Store.
  • TypePad. Following some of Six Apart's other moblogging efforts, the iPhone version of its TypePad client will allow realtime uploading of photos taken with the iPhone's cam. It'll also be free.
  • Associated Press. It seems the AP wants to turn us all into unpaid correspondents, offering an app that will allow users to upload footage.
  • Band. A collection of virtual instruments for creating music from scratch right on the iPhone. Probably not the most effective platform for creating songs if we had to guess, but hey, cool nonetheless! Available in a "few weeks' time."

like you said, they can be done on other phones, just not as easily, but it's not exactly hard either. i have a sony ericsson w910i with 3g coverage. i can basically access the web with it (with the limitations of data charges of course), and to be honest i can get the information i need easily enough for me to prevent from upgrading.
xbox live/psn are a lot easier than wii connect 24, but that doesn't seem to matter though, does it?

You already have the smartphone, as you admit.  Perhaps the people who do not yet have it have different requirements for a phone?  Perhaps for them, the need to use a ridiculously small keyboard, or go through unintuitive menus is a turn off that keeps them from knowing that they actually do want a smartphone?

Also, I am pretty sure the iPhone is still the only phone with visual voicemail... is that correct?  Because that alone is the selling point to me.  Everything else is a bonus.  Once my contract with verizon is up in october, I cannot wait to jump ship.

my phone isn't a smartphone, it's a walkman branded slide phone.

and i don't know about the U.S, but video voicemail has been available in the uk since the introduction of 3g networks.

DOATS1 said:
alpha_dk said:
DOATS1 said:
FishyJoe said:

my phone isn't a smartphone, it's a walkman branded slide phone.

and i don't know about the U.S, but video voicemail has been available in the uk since the introduction of 3g networks.

That's good to know; I haven't seen many US carriers advertising it, and it is a major selling point to me.  I tend to not use my voicemail because it is so damn annoying.  Not as annoying as the post message-pre recording drivel that voicemail has (Hi, this is Jim, leave a message! *begin computer voice*If you would like to leave a message, stay on the line.  If you would like to leave a page, press 1.  If you would like to slit your wrists because this is like 30 wasted seconds because I am an annoying piece of crap, a razor blade conveniently folds out of the touchpad.   Please wait for the beep, then start recording)

Anyways, good to know. I'll look around at the US 3g carriers to see if any of them other than AT&T + iPhone have visual voicemail.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

voicemail isn't a major feature i look for when signing up to a provider. it's the amount of free text messaging they give me a month!

Around the Network
Android > iPhone

Especially in terms of dev support. Pacman whoo.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles fan for life. <3

The Visual Voicemail is nice and the only reason why I would want an Iphone but Apple limited themselves by locking in with AT&T which I will not use here. The phones I am waiting for are the Blackberry thunder and the Xperra X1. Apple is still limiting in what it offers and forget about using bluetooth headphones with it. The Iphone itself borrowed a lot from the LG Prada which came out way before the Iphone was announced and has a similar body and UI. That said Apple has killer marketing.

This Iphone easy to use stuff is a joke. Many people can figure it out without a problem but I have seen quite a few people not figure out where to go to make a phone call(BTW there is even a joke in The Sex and the City movie where someone is handed an Iphone and gives it back saying I don't know how to use this. The XPERRA is looking very promising and the Diamond(especially the Touch Pro) doesn't look half bad either.

That said the biggest issue is that the Iphone is a me too phone. There is very little individuality to the phones even in the consumer electronics world. The next iteration 3G will sell well but it only has tested at 215k(not 3G speeds and barely even EDGE or EVDO). The new version has added some things but the soft keypad still sucks. It is possible to type faster than a regular Qwerty if you are lucky and it chooses all the words perfectly but mostly it is a tedious experience compared to a true qwerty.

That said let me leave you with what I consider the true positives of the Iphone.

large screen
responsive touchscreen
Visual Voicemail(the only reason I would personally want one at this point)
Easy connection with Itunes(again not important for me)

So yes the Iphone will undoubtedly sell well but as a smart phone especially with typing tons of Emails it is a joke of a phone. The 3G is making some improvements with this regard but it still feels like it is lacking.

Maybe I'm old school but I like a phone that goes rrrrrrring and shows Caller ID.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

That iPhone looks bad ass and will likely destroy all other phones on the market.

No . It will never have the game library , or the game quality the PSP is having . It could be a major mobile phone , but as a game device it will never pass the PSP , and thats that .

The DS ... well the DS can only be touched by God himself at this point so ... well yeah .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!