By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How is Microsoft/Sony going to respond to the astounding Wii sales?

I think only 1 thing matters: Price.

Each console has their own unique benefit, but I think price is the biggest factor in getting the most console sales

But of course if PS3/360's price were lowered to compete with the Wii, then the Wii's price would get lower too

But we wont see the PS3/360 competing with the price of the Wii ever, because this would mean MS/Sony would lose heaps of money which wouldn't be worth it

Edit: In a hypothetical situation, if you were to take all 3 console, make them all absolutly free, I'm pretty confident the Wii would be last. Obviously they would never be free, but just trying to stretch out my analogy of why I think price is the biggest factor, yet price is something that we won't ever see (atleast enough to have an huge impact on the Wii)

Around the Network

Price is sometimes irrelevant, see last generation. But I agree it plays a big part.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles fan for life. <3

well i dont think any of the two can do anything to stop wii

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

They're going to focus on profit.

Which they're already doing.

The only aggressive response we'll see this gen is between the PS3 and 360. They won't be trying to price-match the Wii, or anything like that.

Profit is the name of the game now.

MattAAron said:
I think only 1 thing matters: Price.

Each console has their own unique benefit, but I think price is the biggest factor in getting the most console sales

But of course if PS3/360's price were lowered to compete with the Wii, then the Wii's price would get lower too

But we wont see the PS3/360 competing with the price of the Wii ever, because this would mean MS/Sony would lose heaps of money which wouldn't be worth it

Edit: In a hypothetical situation, if you were to take all 3 console, make them all absolutly free, I'm pretty confident the Wii would be last. Obviously they would never be free, but just trying to stretch out my analogy of why I think price is the biggest factor, yet price is something that we won't ever see (atleast enough to have an huge impact on the Wii)

Value is what matters, price is a major factor in value but its not the same and you shouldn't confuse the two. An Xbox360 wouldn't sell to a man with one arm now would it? Even if it only cost $100 compared to a Wii that can be used with one hand that costs $499

For your hypothetical situation, they would probably be even since everyone would get as many as they wanted.

Tease.

Around the Network

PS3@$250 or Wii@$250? PS3 for me!

@Squilliam... 1 armed man, huh? I think everyone would agree one-armed gamers are probably .001% of the gaming community, I dont understand how that has anything to do with this? Please correct me if I misunderstood what you were trying to say with a 1 armed man

and I think you took my hypothetical situation too literally because if everything was free, obviously everyone would want everything... I'm obviously talking about if people had a choice

Your right about value, which only proves my price point valid. As far as im concered, the PS3 & 360 have a lot more value then the Wii (For most people)... Simply because they offer more then what the Wii does, besides Wii's unique controller

The point im trying to really make is, the PS3/360 are so far away from the Wii, neither will be able to catch up, the ONLY way is if the PS3/360's price were cheaper then the Wii, which we would never see since Sony/MS care about making a profit, as any company or person would

ps3 and 360 will join forces and still be no competition.

psn:murkinem         

currently playing:

Focus on profit and focus on keeping third parties happy.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

The interesting battle is going to be in Japan - the ps3 has decent sales numbers for Dragon Ball Z this week and of course MGS4 is launching where you can expect big numbers in Japan, these 2 reasons to purchase a ps3 is it's defining time right now cos it's a long wait for FFXIII and things will be decided then.

The Wii has Shiren pulling in decent figures so far, TOS is due to be launched soon and Tenchu 4 has just been announced so if TOS gets decent success a lot of eastern devs could follow suit and you could see a spade of Wii announcements in the next few months.

How this unfolds is gonna be important to how each will react in my opinion.