By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to turn Blu Monday?

You can say that downloads are the way of the future and yet still use a blu-ray drive. The internet infrastructure is not yet at a point where content of hd magnitude can be downloaded by the masses. It is unreasonable to think this and Microsoft knows this. They want to make some money on something in the meantime and plan for the future. They have already created a service that has the capability to offer HD downloads and now they are 'possibly' wanting another means of getting hd content to consumers in the meantime. I bet Microsoft, one of the few multi-billion dollar companies that are completely debt-free, would need all of you guy's advice on how it's business model should change.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
You Sony-fanboys actually believe in this rumour? Well, of course you wish it would happen, because it would make Sony look like winners putting Blue-ray in the PS3 and make MS look like copy-cats.

But Blue-ray at this point in time is youthless in a console. There aren't even enuff movies released. MS knows this.

An add-on Blue-ray player for the niche market that want to purchase the few blockbuster movies I can understand, but not built in into an X360.

Actually, I think real sony fanboys would want this NOT to happen, because it takes away a sales pitch from the PS3

If this is true, it will be only for movies, not for games.

I am very skeptical its true, but man, this rumour wont ever die and you have to start to wonder.

It reminds me of the BioShock PS3 rumour. Ken Levine and every spokesman from 2K explicitly denied and said it will never come. Now its coming.

If true (we'll find out tomorrow), a re-assessment may be required of some that have bashed Blu-ray for being a niche format, especially those that did because it was associated with Sony.

I've always thought that Downloads and Blu-ray will both co-exist. All the Hollywood studios are backing the Blu-ray format heavily now.

I may do DD for rental if they reduce the price. Right now, I can still rent stuff from video stores for cheaper. For purchasing movies, I will still use physical media, like I do with music. Yes, I still do buy CDs.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

If the 360 ever gets blu-ray capability it will be with an add-on. I don't think they'll ever try to sell a separate sku with an internal drive.

Around the Network

This would be a smart move my Microsoft. If Microsoft does not have a Blu-ray XBox by Christmas, Sony will kill then. With most major games going to both systems, the Blu-Ray will be a major selling point for Sony this holiday.

I do not own a PS3 or an XBox 360, but then next console I buy will have a Blu-Ray player.

WiiStation360 said:
This would be a smart move my Microsoft. If Microsoft does not have a Blu-ray XBox by Christmas, Sony will kill then. With most major games going to both systems, the Blu-Ray will be a major selling point for Sony this holiday.

I do not own a PS3 or an XBox 360, but then next console I buy will have a Blu-Ray player.

Did you know that PS3 had Blu-ray last christmas too? Was the X360 killed?

Blu-ray has always been a non-factor, and with stand-alone players getting cheaper the uniqueness of PS3 will get diminshed.

Slimebeast said:
WiiStation360 said:

Did you know that PS3 had Blu-ray last christmas too? Was the X360 killed?

Blu-ray has always been a non-factor, and with stand-alone players getting cheaper the uniqueness of PS3 will get diminshed.

Last holiday HD-DVD was still alive.  Confusion caused people ignored both formats.

This holiday, all the electronics stores will be pushing HDTVs and Blu-ray.  In the mind of most people, the PS3/360 are interchangable.  They both play the same games.  Getting an integrated Blu-ray player will matter to them now, where last year it did not.

Time will show.

zero129 said:
Lol @ the people saying Ms copycat etc.
Blu-Ray is just another format how is it copying?,
if Ms doesn't add it this gen it more then likely will next gen, *
as now Blu Ray is the next media to take over from DVD.
Was MS copying Sony by adding DVD to the original xbox and the 360?? +

anyway if this does Happen they might make an SKU with the blu-ray drive added and make an add on drive for the people that has an older model..

* not according to microsoft's future vision it won't.

+ i'm sure you realise that the dvd drive in both xbox consoles weren't added a year and a half into the consoles life. 

either you're not very informed about how microsoft do business, or you're just missing the point.

put it this way, if microsoft do put blu-ray into their consoles, they would have basically tried to copy nearly all of their competitions' current selling points (meaning the wii as well), which they previously brushed off as not needed or a fad. taking blu-ray on board will just show how creative microsoft are.