By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo posts new job listing for Wii USB devices

A new job listing has been posted on the job listings pages of the Nintendo of America website. Nintendo wishes to hire a Software/Hardware Tester, but the description highlights the importance of “Creating and executing a test plan for Wii’s USB devices.” There are a plethora of possibilities that the job description could be referring to, although the first concept that would come to mind is a hard drive. Perhaps Nintendo is finally beginning to take initiative to solve the storage solution on Wii.

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=1555

Some more storage speculations.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Do you think this could be for usb harddrives or other periferals?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Other peripherals I would hope. If this is at all related to a push for a storage solution then you can bet your ass you won't see one for some time.

i hope they make a HDD

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

allthehoneys said:
Other peripherals I would hope. If this is at all related to a push for a storage solution then you can bet your ass you won't see one for some time.

Maybe they are testing and preparing for a christmas release of a hard drive.

Wouldn´t it be possible to connect a harddrive through bluetooth?

Around the Network
vaio said:
allthehoneys said:

It's possible they could just be expanding on a team already late into the process, as you suggested.

As for the possibility of connecting a hard drive through Bluetooth: sure it's possible, but hardly practical. The current Bluetooth standard has a peak 3 Mbit/s data rate compared to USB 2.0's 480 Mbit/s, a 16x DVD's 168.75 Mbit/s or an internal hard drive's >1 Gbit/s data rate. They just don't compare; we're talking orders of maginitude difference in data rate.

allthehoneys said:
vaio said:
allthehoneys said:

It's possible they could just be expanding on a team already late into the process, as you suggested.

As for the possibility of connecting a hard drive through Bluetooth: sure it's possible, but hardly practical. The current Bluetooth standard has a peak 3 Mbit/s data rate compared to USB 2.0's 480 Mbit/s, a 16x DVD's 168.75 Mbit/s or an internal hard drive's >1 Gbit/s data rate. They just don't compare; we're talking orders of maginitude difference in data rate.

Yes but the games in VC and Wii ware are so small so wouldn´t it work pretty good anyway?

Why would you want a bluetooth HDD instead of one that replaces the gray stand anyway ?

FaithRaven said:
Why would you want a bluetooth HDD instead of one that replaces the gray stand anyway ?

Actually I won´t need any hd I am fine as it is, I am just wondering and this seems to be the best place to get answers.

vaio said:
allthehoneys said:
vaio said:
allthehoneys said:

Yes but the games in VC and Wii ware are so small so wouldn´t it work pretty good anyway?

If by pretty good you mean excessive load times or at worst stalls, then sure.  What you have to understand is that those data rates aren't fast at all.  First, those are peak data rates and due to it being a wireless medium they're much less close to their theoretical peaks than those utilizing a physical medium, so the typical tranfer rate is about a third less or 2.1 Mbits/s.  Then, don't forget these are bit rates; streaming 64 MB virtual console titles or 50 MB WiiWare games becomes impractical without.  Just to load a 64 MB file at those rates into memory would take over four minutes.  So now, what about streaming?  The problem now is Bluetooth's high latency (anywhere from 40-400 milliseconds) compared to system memory (order of nanoseconds) to several times to orders of magnitudes (possibilities for high variance) higher than a hard disk drives (about ~12 ns for a "slow" hard drive). Bluetooth is, in it's current state, the wrong tool for the job.  Nintendo would more likely choose to open up the SD card (much faster and low latency compared to BT) or some other flash option using the USB drive.