By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will the PS3 sell more software units in NA than the 360?

This thread won't have a chance of ending until MS ever so reluctantly decides that it can't keep up w/ the PS3 in NA.  

This last week, we had MS selling 832,477 units, and the PS3 selling 495, 321 units.  This is a ratio of 1.68 units of360 software sold for every one unit of PS3 software.  Well, the PS3 will keep on truckin and eventually overcome MS, hopefully sooner than later. 

Please feel free to post any major PS3 or 360 related news, analysts opinions, etc on this thread so that we can see the story in motion from here until the finish!  

Around the Network

The short answer is never....

the long answer is neverever

it will overtake in HW sales, but not SW

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

when PS3 takeover xbox in US LT hardware installment.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Here is an article from gamesindustry.biz highlighting the opinions of some DFC analysts, who are probably one of the more recognized names in the market research of gaming.

-------------------------------------------
Analysts warn of "struggle" for Xbox
Senior industry analysts have voiced concerns over the future of Microsoft's Xbox business, labeling the US firm's attempts to market 360 to casual audiences "disastrous", and predicting that the console will "start to struggle in the market" over the coming year.

Speaking during a panel session at last month's Nordic Game 2008 conference in Malmo, Sweden, analysts covering the UK, Europe and North America were called upon to assess the current state of the global games market, and predict key trends for the next 12-18 months. And for Microsoft, the picture in their crystal ball was anything but rosy.

"When you look at an installed base basis, the Xbox 360's going to come in third place when all's said and done," said DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole. "The concern I would have with a company like Microsoft is, one of these days they're going to have to make a profit on this business otherwise why are they in it?"

Nick Parker, MD of Parker Consulting and an analyst for Screen Digest, argued that 360's failure to succeed in key continental Europe territories pointed to a fundamental image problem. "The trouble with Xbox 360 is it hasn't managed to shake off this urban, irreverent adult male feel; so it hasn't gained traction in the more casual gaming markets of mainland Europe such as France, Spain and Italy, where it's stalled," he said. "And there are already rumours of Xbox 360 being delisted from certain retailers."

Parker, a former VP of strategic planning at Sony Europe, maintained that Microsoft had failed to learn from the mistakes of its first console: "I think they started off badly with the Xbox itself: blood and breasts. This alienated it immediately to a lot of consumers around Europe, and they never got over that. The brand image never went away. And although Halo 3 is a big game, it just emphasises again what the Xbox is all about.

"If you go talk to people in Seville, in Rome, they're not interested in that. They're much more casual gamers, they don't want to have such competitive games."

Cole argued that, despite Microsoft's perceived failure to appeal beyond its core audience, it was still possible for publishers to do strong business in 360's bread-and-butter areas. "If you're doing a first-person shooter title, you're clearly going to want to be on Xbox 360, and that's for years to come," he offered. "[But] their efforts at marketing outside of the first-person shooter crowd have been disastrous." In March, Microsoft hired former Nintendo Europe boss David Gosen to spearhead its drive for casual gamers on the continent.

While 360 remains particularly strong in its home US market and the UK, bitter rival Sony's PlayStation 3 has overtaken it on installed base in other territories, despite launching over a year later. Sony Europe boss David Reeves claimed last month that the console had already surpassed 360's sales across Europe.

Globally, Xbox 360 has sold through over 19 million units since it launched in November 2005. Sony revealed last month that it has sold 12.85 million PlayStation 3s since November 2006, with worldwide Wii hardware sales standing at 24.4 million units as of April 2008.

Xbox 360 last month hit the 10 million milestone in the US, prompting Xbox boss Don Mattrick to proclaim: "History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle." However, the panel accused Mattrick of "clutching at straws".

"[Microsoft] get very defensive because they realise the US is their last stronghold now as their sales go into decline across the rest of the world," said Parker. "So they're a little bit desperate and they're clutching at straws now to cling on to what they've got in the market which is primarily the US." Parker also pointed to the "tremendous brand loyalty to PlayStation" amongst its consumer base, causing many to hold off from entering the new generation until the release of their favourite brands, rather than buying an Xbox.

Asked whether there was any chance Microsoft might reconsider its place in the console business, Cole said: "I think there's always that risk. They will have to assess their position after this round, and clearly they were very committed to saying they were going to stick with this business through another console system. They haven't really talked much beyond that and I know that really at some point they are going to have to figure out how they're going to make money out of this business."

He added that DFC Intelligence expected to "see the Xbox 360 start to struggle in the market" over the next 12 months, but added that Sony faced a similar challenge into turning its PlayStation 3 business into profit.

Despite its huge success, the panel also sounded a note of caution over the long-term prospects of the Wii, specifically in relation to its portfolio and the gaming habits of its casual audience. "There's a risk that they [casual users] could actually put the Wii in the wardrobe if there isn't a steady stream of games that please them," argued Swedish games industry analyst Martin Lindell.

"You've got to remember there's a difference between buying and playing - the fact that you get your grandma to play the game doesn't mean she's going out to buy it," added Parker. "I'm still in that kind of faddish feeling about the Wii."

For Cole, Nintendo's historical issues with third-party support poses a risk: "It's a huge issue that Nintendo dominates the platforms they own, as that's how they make all their money," he said. "We see the Wii having a higher installed base but the PS3 generating, by about 2010-11, more revenue in terms of software."

Microsoft did have one champion at the session, however. When the panel began criticising the multi-SKU strategies of Microsoft and Sony, with specific reference to the 360 Elite, a hitherto unusually silent Epic Games boss Mark Rein called out: "Are you guys crazy?", claiming that Elite had been the only profitable SKU for Microsoft. Parker responded by stating that the real issue was consumer confusion

It depends on exactly what you mean.

If you mean a single week when PS3 outsells the 360 in software then it might be very soon, (MGS4) or it might be at the next big release.

If you mean when will it start to consistantly sell more software each week, then I would guess not until mid-late 2009.

If you mean when will PS3 total American software outsell 360 total American software, then it might be never... and if it does it will be 2010 or later. After all it has a pretty long way to go:

2008 totals

Around the Network

I'm just looking at this on a week-to-week kind of basis, and yes I agree that it won't be until early or mid 2009 for us to see the PS3 equal the 360 in this regard.

Anyway, has anybody around here been using their 360 as a space heater? I hear that it works wonders for people living up north.

The DFC analysis is laughable. I wouldn't try to make a point by using an article that talks in circles and contradicts itself.

dallas said:
I'm just looking at this on a week-to-week kind of basis, and yes I agree that it won't be until early or mid 2009 for us to see the PS3 equal the 360 in this regard.

Anyway, has anybody around here been using their 360 as a space heater? I hear that it works wonders for people living up north.

Both machines produce a similar amount of heat, but the PS3 has a significantly better cooling system.

Well to sell consistently good SW on a weekly basis....the console must have its killer apps out which should have legs.

so MGS4 should help

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

MGS4 bundle will help. Not to mention as more 360 owners become older in their 360 lifecyle and less buy the hardware, software sales will naturally decrease as well.