By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In hindsight: Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy?

Andrex said:
Super Mario Galaxy by far. Tied for my favorite game.

Mario 64 did not wow me at all.

Did you play mario 64 in retrospect, or when it first came out? I absoulty loved that game, but then again I was 6 and had trouble telling the differnce between games and reality lol

Around the Network

SM64, it's the only mario game that i have beaten 100% i loved galaxy but i didn't didn't get the 241 star.. actually i didn't even get 120..

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Galaxy by a country mile (however long that is).

While I appreciated 64, it never quite pulled me in the same way that SMG did -- I would put World, 3 and, frankly, the original above 64, but Galaxy is at the top of the list.

SM-64, no doubt. It's the best game of all time IMO. It was just so jaw-droppingly good. For me, i don't think sm64 can be beaten ever.

SMG was great also. The biggest drawback IMO is the fact that unlike sm64, you have only ONE star per episode. = less exploration & wondering how to get that star.

Can´t decide Galaxy in so many ways but Mario 64 in just as many other ways.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Super Mario Bros 3!

Sky Render said:
Galaxy, hands down. I'm honestly not sure how anybody can rate Super Mario 64 as better than it, to be honest. Nostalgia must be remarkably powerful for them to do so...
I thought that people were supposed to vote which one was better "for its time"...

SM64 was a shining beacon to the whole industry:  "This is how you make a 3D platformer!"  It was a gold standard games had to measure against for I don't know how many years.  Galaxy isn't going to be that kind of game, if only because not much seems to be following in its footsteps.

But as a game -- well, the two games are really remarkably different.  I have to admit that the castle is more fun to explore than the space station.  But some of the stuff in Galaxy is just mindblowing, and I think it has more variety (though I haven't played SM64 in a long time).  SM64 gives you more freedom in getting different stars, which I like and wished I could do more in Galaxy.  Different things that each does better than the other (considering their respective ages) are pulling me in both directions.

I'm going to say Galaxy, partly because I want the vote to be more even.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

seeing mario in 3D for the first time, is only something that OoT could top. The magic of the whole new 3D concept which changed gaming, is really what makes 64 better than Galaxy, seeing as galaxy didnt innovate as much as it did truly perfect the platforming genre. Mario 64, but only for that reason.