By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what game have you played the most?

JaggedSac said:
I think you guys are throwing these numbers around a little too lightly. 1000 hours equals 41 days. I understand an MMO it is possible, but AoE? I played alot, and I mean alot, of AoE II and it would probably not come anywhere near 1000 hours.

"Oblivion is my most played single player game in recent years, a bit more than 1000 hours." - And I don't know how you could play this game for 1000 hours. I know a guy who did everything in the game in 80 hours. There is only so much to do on a game that does not have an online component.

I hate when people throw around numbers lightly! I didn't do that.

AoE II came out in Oct 1999, and I bought it early 2000. Back then I was a student and played it for 1.5 years on average at least 15 hours a week (typically at least 4 gaming sessions á 4 hours). Yes, on my summer vacation too.

But since then I've gone back to the game 3-4 times playing it for a few months or ½ a year at a time.

And for more than a year I practically lived in Cyrodiil and the planes of Oblivion. Yes, "normally" you only play it for 80-100 hours, but if you take things slowly, explore and just run around in the amazing world, crunch and figure out all the stats numbers, gather ingredients for potions, do most of the quests, create custom magic items and spells, buy 5-7 houses and fill them with all your 1000's of items (I even gathered stone bricks and all skulls and bones I could find), clear most of the +200 dungeons, die and get eaten every now and then, you will have spent hundreds of hours on just one character. Then you download add-ons, mods and replay the game with another char and harder difficulty level.

In Oblivion you can see how many days and hours you have spent with each character. My first has 300 hours, my second about 600 hours, but then you add the hours between your last save and every time you die and have to re-load.

Around the Network

Super Smash Bros. Melee and then Gears of War

"If new things are so great, where have they been the whole time?"

Slimebeast said:
JaggedSac said:
I think you guys are throwing these numbers around a little too lightly. 1000 hours equals 41 days. I understand an MMO it is possible, but AoE? I played alot, and I mean alot, of AoE II and it would probably not come anywhere near 1000 hours.

"Oblivion is my most played single player game in recent years, a bit more than 1000 hours." - And I don't know how you could play this game for 1000 hours. I know a guy who did everything in the game in 80 hours. There is only so much to do on a game that does not have an online component.

AoE II came out in Oct 1999, and I bought it early 2000. Back then I was a student and played it for 1.5 years on average at least 15 hours a week (typically at least 4 gaming sessions á 4 hours). Yes, on my summer vacation too.

But since then I've gone back to the game 3-4 times playing it for a few months or ½ a year at a time.

And for more than a year I practically lived in Cyrodiil and the planes of Oblivion. Yes, "normally" you only play it for 80-100 hours, but if you take things slowly, explore and just run around in the amazing world, crunch and figure out all the stats numbers, gather ingredients for potions, do most of the quests, create custom magic items and spells, buy 5-7 houses and fill them with all your 1000's of items (I even gathered stone bricks and all skulls and bones I could find), clear most of the +200 dungeons, die and get eaten every now and then, you will have spent hundreds of hours on just one character. Then you download add-ons, mods and replay the game with another char and harder difficulty level.

In Oblivion you can see how many days and hours you have spent with each character. My first has 300 hours, my second about 600 hours, but then you add the hours between your last save and every time you die and have to re-load.

Well, I did most of the game myself with one character(light armored, unarmed fighting character) in about 40 hours.  I took my time and all but I sure as hell wasn't going to go to all the dungeons.  They were all the exact same textures and basic layout.  I can see exploring a game and seeing different stuff, but Oblivion has no exploration value.  Alchemy was easy to master and was boring.  Not saying you did not do it.  I am saying why did you do it?  What held your attention for 1000 hours?  And it is not like making a different character allowed for different skills.  You have access to all skills with one character.  I leveled all of my magic up and fighting skills.  

Final Fantasy X.

JaggedSac said:
Slimebeast said:
JaggedSac said:

AoE II came out in Oct 1999, and I bought it early 2000. Back then I was a student and played it for 1.5 years on average at least 15 hours a week (typically at least 4 gaming sessions á 4 hours). Yes, on my summer vacation too.

And for more than a year I practically lived in Cyrodiil and the planes of Oblivion. Yes, "normally" you only play it for 80-100 hours, but if you take things slowly, explore and just run around in the amazing world, crunch and figure out all the stats numbers, gather ingredients for potions, do most of the quests, create custom magic items and spells, buy 5-7 houses and fill them with all your 1000's of items (I even gathered stone bricks and all skulls and bones I could find), clear most of the +200 dungeons, die and get eaten every now and then, you will have spent hundreds of hours on just one character. Then you download add-ons, mods and replay the game with another char and harder difficulty level.

In Oblivion you can see how many days and hours you have spent with each character. My first has 300 hours, my second about 600 hours, but then you add the hours between your last save and every time you die and have to re-load.

Well, I did most of the game myself with one character(light armored, unarmed fighting character) in about 40 hours.  I took my time and all but I sure as hell wasn't going to go to all the dungeons.  They were all the exact same textures and basic layout.  I can see exploring a game and seeing different stuff, but Oblivion has no exploration value.  Alchemy was easy to master and was boring.  Not saying you did not do it.  I am saying why did you do it?  What held your attention for 1000 hours?  And it is not like making a different character allowed for different skills.  You have access to all skills with one character.  I leveled all of my magic up and fighting skills.  

I enjoyed just being in the world, killing the baddies, get up in level, get stronger, gather loot, get rich by buying/selling the right stuff. You had to visit quite a few dungeons to get full Master alchemy equipment. Some ingredients for alchemy were hard to find. I liked filling my soul gems with Grand souls. I wanted to get all full armour sets, and lots of glass armor/weapons, pearls, gold bars and other beautiful items for my houses.

Dungeons can get boring, but it's a "thing" to clear most or all of them... just in case there is something unique in them. It was fun to stick a couple of dungeons between every quest, that kept it fresh for me.

My first char was in vanilla Oblivion and with the difficulty bar on the highest (except for early in the game), but the second with a BIG mod that adds new monsters, items, quests, dungeons, increases difficulty, makes leveling 3 times slower, makes bandits don't have glass/deidra weapons anymore etc.

Also, most obsessive Oblivion players like me like to try out all kinds of crazy stuff. Killing the guards, innocent people or whole towns. Lure monsters into towns, or try to jump up to hard-to-reach places like the cathedral roofs.

Around the Network

Lately its been Mario Kart Wii...can't seem to put it down for long, especially now that I've unlocked the Mirror Mode.

World of Warcraft, by the time I quit I had more than a year played(being a guild leader was a mistake). My life back then was work-wow-sleep-work-wow-sleep...

Non online I'd go with MGS(seris) I play them all alot and mostly equally.

damkira said:

Lately its been Mario Kart Wii...can't seem to put it down for long, especially now that I've unlocked the Mirror Mode.

ill be trying that out soon but first im to busy with SSBB

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

The original monster hunter.... I time capped 3 characters........

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

soulsamurai said:
The original monster hunter.... I time capped 3 characters........

how long would that be?im not really familiar with the game

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"