By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone here that boycotting Ubisoft was pointless/useless right now?

DMeisterJ said:

Trivial?

Ubisoft was being hung for what they said, and now it's all cool cause they're publishing Tenchu 4.

Maybe "morals" is wrong, but the intent is still there. For all the hate and shit Ubi endured, and to now, it turn to indifference is crazy.

I don't see anyone saying the boycott is over... At the very most, some people are simply making an exception so as to enjoy a game from a developer they want to support. As I said, it's quite unfortunate that Ubisoft is publishing this (see No More Heroes for the reason), but not many people will be so bold as to not buy the game just because of that. I agree it can be seen as slightly hypocritical, but it's not that big a deal.

Also, I didn't see anyone telling people not to buy No More Heroes when the boycott started... The current situation is not that different, it's precisely the same thing - another developer, Ubisoft just picked up the title for publishing (and hopefully advertising it well, which would be something most Wii owners here would be thankful for, if they do it).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Boycott or no, their reputation is still important. If they are so cheap, the only quality Wii games aren't even the ones they develop (yushire seems to forget we already made that rule with No More Heroes), there is no conflict of interest. It still shows they are being cheap when it comes to the Wii.

And despite how some deny it, we do have HD console owners who said they would boycott Ubisoft games, even though they don't have a Wii. That means they would boycott the ones Ubisoft would actually spend money on. Why? Well a combination of principle (it's mainly those who never liked the Wii in the first place who don't get that), and the fact that if Ubisoft can be cheap to one system, what's to stop them from being cheap all around?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Trivial?

Ubisoft was being hung for what they said, and now it's all cool cause they're publishing Tenchu 4.

Maybe "morals" is wrong, but the intent is still there. For all the hate and shit Ubi endured, and to now, it turn to indifference is crazy.

I don't see anyone saying the boycott is over... At the very most, some people are simply making an exception so as to enjoy a game from a developer they want to support. As I said, it's quite unfortunate that Ubisoft is publishing this (see No More Heroes for the reason), but not many people will be so bold as to not buy the game just because of that. I agree it can be seen as slightly hypocritical, but it's not that big a deal.

Also, I didn't see anyone telling people not to buy No More Heroes when the boycott started... The current situation is not that different, it's precisely the same thing - another developer, Ubisoft just picked up the title for publishing (and hopefully advertising it well, which would be something most Wii owners here would be thankful for, if they do it).

That's exactly what I told him in another thread, but he still insists we are hypocrites because we want to support a small developer by buying its games, when Ubisoft is ONLY publishing it.

Boycott isn't over at least for me, I won't be buying any games they develop.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Trivial?

Well, for the most part, NMH is done selling, so it's irrelevant if someone does or does not buy the game.

But how many "exceptions" will be made?  Is this a one-time deal, or is it "Boycott Ubisoft until they publish a good game, then dont, then continue boycotting again."?

DMeisterJ said:

Well, for the most part, NMH is done selling, so it's irrelevant if someone does or does not buy the game.

But how many "exceptions" will be made? Is this a one-time deal, or is it "Boycott Ubisoft until they publish a good game, then dont, then continue boycotting again."?

I can't speak for everyone, but I myself put off buying any titles from Ubisoft until their position is clarified (no matter what platform they're released on). That was what I decided from the beginning. For example, I probably would have bought RRR (the upcoming one which is supposed to use the balance board), but I won't anymore. It's a cute franchise, but not that great. Once Ubisoft shows that they're keeping their promise of having great Wii titles, I'll feel fine about buying their games again (even the not so great ones if I feel like it).

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

But how many "exceptions" will be made? Is this a one-time deal, or is it "Boycott Ubisoft until they publish a good game, then dont, then continue boycotting again."?

I can't speak for everyone, but I myself put off buying any titles from Ubisoft until their position is clarified. That was what I decided from the beginning. For example, I probably would have bought RRR (the upcoming one which is supposed to use the balance board), but I won't anymore. It's a cute franchise, but not that great. Once Ubisoft shows that they're keeping their promise of having great Wii titles, I'll feel fine about buying their games again (even the not so great ones if I feel like it).

So you're not chickening out and augmenting to the whole "only Boycott Ubisoft developed games, not Ubisoft period"? 

If so, +1 for sticking to what you said, and not changing.

DMeisterJ said:

So you're not chickening out and augmenting to the whole "only Boycott Ubisoft developed games, not Ubisoft period"?

If Tenchu is a good game, I may buy it. As I said above, I don't think it's a good idea to harm other developers just because Ubisoft happened to publish their game (the same way I wouldn't recommend anyone boycott No More Heroes).

If that makes me a hypocrite in the eyes of some, I don't care...

PS: Ubisoft didn't publish NMH in Europe, some other company did, so maybe it will be a moot point for me.

NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

If Tenchu is a good game, I may buy it. As I said above, I don't think it's a good idea to harm other developers just because Ubisoft happened to publish their game (the same way I wouldn't recommend anyone boycott No More Heroes).

If that makes me a hypocrite in the eyes of some, I don't care...

PS: Ubisoft didn't publish NMH in Europe, some other company did, so maybe it will be a moot point for me.

Good.

You shouldn't.  

This is the internet, who cares what I think? 

DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I myself put off buying any titles from Ubisoft until their position is clarified. That was what I decided from the beginning. For example, I probably would have bought RRR (the upcoming one which is supposed to use the balance board), but I won't anymore. It's a cute franchise, but not that great. Once Ubisoft shows that they're keeping their promise of having great Wii titles, I'll feel fine about buying their games again (even the not so great ones if I feel like it).

How is supporting a small developer, chickening out?

I think you're just replying to begin an arguement, like you always do.

You don't understand that the harm is meant to be done to Ubisoft, not to the Tenchu team? I would have bought Tenchu 4 no matter who the publisher was.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

< double >

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies