By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Dawn of War II info, screens, and trailer!!!

Am I the only one that consider reinforcement in DoW completely "bullshit" in the sense it is completely "unrealistic" to see new guys popping on the battle field every 30 sec ??????????????

Time to Work !

Around the Network

but the main thing Dawn of War did right was the strategic points system

My young padawan old people like me remember a really good RTS game called Z. But its a good concept.

Kyros said:

My young padawan old people like me remember a really good RTS game called Z. But its a good concept.

Z actually deserves a lot of credit for innovation in the RTS franchise...

Anyway, either way this game looks like a lot of fun.   It does however once again prove that if you really are an RTS fan, consoles are not an option for playing them.  

Looks promising, 40k is a franchise/concept with potential but has suffered under mediocre design and direction most of the time.
I fear that this title will be overshadowed by Starcraft II though, and possibly Empire: Total War!
Well worth checking out though, good RTS' are few and far between, thanks for the heads-up Naz!

cool, Dawn of War was good, but i cant get it too work on my pc, it only works on my laptop!

Around the Network

WOW, that looks damn impressive. I never played the first one, but I may have to go find it now while I wait for that. need to start saving some cash for some upgrades, my girl is starting to show some age.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

First one was awesome and I am gonna buy this one too.

Kyros said:

ah yes, of course, Z was indeed the pioneer of the "capture territory" way of RTS games. But it was also fiendishly difficult, not very popular, and never repeated (although IIRC there was a sequel that ended up being pretty bad). It was a completely different type of RTS to DOW in the way it handled the territory capture principle. Still a fantastic game though.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

FaRmLaNd said:
Starcraft is the king of race balance. There simply isn't a more polished RTS in existence. Starcraft 2 looks much the same and the new units really add to the strategy.

Dawn is war is my second favorite RTS behind Starcraft, plus the 40k setting is a very good one.

Dawn of war imo is much much better then c&c, after westwood was bought out by EA the series has been going downhill. They're still technically great games but they're simply missing that old Westwood magic.

Every Single Player campaign in StarCraft leaves much to be desired. Every campaign had - what, one or two missions that were actually interesting, and the rest where "here's your five marines and an SCV, now go and kill the enemy base that covers 85% of the map" - type grindfests that took FOREVER to beat. The storyline was written into a corner at the end of Brood War, there were no really interesting characters besides a few, and even they were either killed off or vanished somewhere.

StarCraft may have peerless multiplayer in some people's minds, but it's not the most polished RTS there is if it's SP is subpar. 

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Mise said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Starcraft is the king of race balance. There simply isn't a more polished RTS in existence. Starcraft 2 looks much the same and the new units really add to the strategy.

Dawn is war is my second favorite RTS behind Starcraft, plus the 40k setting is a very good one.

Dawn of war imo is much much better then c&c, after westwood was bought out by EA the series has been going downhill. They're still technically great games but they're simply missing that old Westwood magic.

Every Single Player campaign in StarCraft leaves much to be desired. Every campaign had - what, one or two missions that were actually interesting, and the rest where "here's your five marines and an SCV, now go and kill the enemy base that covers 85% of the map" - type grindfests that took FOREVER to beat. The storyline was written into a corner at the end of Brood War, there were no really interesting characters besides a few, and even they were either killed off or vanished somewhere.

StarCraft may have peerless multiplayer in some people's minds, but it's not the most polished RTS there is if it's SP is subpar. 

Too true. Relic wins that crown with Homeworld, I'm afraid. I must have played that SP campaign so many times, it was incredible.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!