By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Dawn of War II info, screens, and trailer!!!

looks nice, seems a lil like C&C

Around the Network

StarCraft II is more strategic. Dawn of War II is more tactical/action based. Personally I need to be playing both types of games to really satisfy my RTS itch. Right now I'm satisfying it with Sins of a Solar Empire (Strategic) and the original Dawn of War plus expansions (Tactical/action).  Dawn of War II will replace Dawn of War and StarCraft II will replace Sins.

Also, WC3 was the least balanced of their games out of the box, but they said that the reason this game is taking so long is they want it to be nearly perfectly balanced when released so that the competitives can jump right in.  The balance testing is extensive.

Looks interesting, but sort of a new RTS to me, I havent played the first and I'm a little bit new to the tactical/action based... but since I'm going to buy a new rig, I will try it...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Awesome! Looks really good! I loved the original Dawn of War, it was a very fun game!

PC Gamer
naznatips said:
Mise said:
naznatips said:
Yakuzaice said:
I can't wait. The first one was great(never bought any expansions though). This one looks amazing. I don't share your optimism on SCII though. But it would be a pleasant surprise.

It's not really optimism as much as personal experience. I have yet to play a Blizzard game that could be described as anything but "Amazing."

Blackthorne and the first two Warcrafts say hello.

Never played Blackthorne, but the first two Warcrafts were amazing for their time.  I know people who like WC2 better than WC3.   

Anyway, I never got into Company of Heroes... though I blame that on me despising World War 2 games.  I do really like the original Dawn of War, but it hardly changed the way RTS games were played.  This definitely looks more revolutionary than Dawn of War was.

That said, I agree with Kyros that Blizzard's ability to perfectly balance 3 completely unique races will always make them the RTS king for me.  When I play a game I want completely different experiences depending on which race I play, and I want that experience to be balanced.

I'll be buying both these games, but the competitive one will be SC2.  This will be the "crazy new ideas" one. 

Squads (with reinforcing and individual unit upgrades), different types of cover, morale, strategic points and am army painter. The first DoW brought a lot to the RTS table.

None of this will be new in DoWII.

Around the Network

Starcraft is the king of race balance. There simply isn't a more polished RTS in existence. Starcraft 2 looks much the same and the new units really add to the strategy.

Dawn is war is my second favorite RTS behind Starcraft, plus the 40k setting is a very good one.

Dawn of war imo is much much better then c&c, after westwood was bought out by EA the series has been going downhill. They're still technically great games but they're simply missing that old Westwood magic.

naznatips,

THX

I came here to find no innovation and just a gfx update
but it seems there are doing great things with DWI ... respect.

Time to Work !

Gotta say I'm pretty keen on this. I'm a big Warhammer and 40K fan (I should be, I work on the table-top roleplaying games), and this is sorely tempting me to upgrade my PC.

:D

naznatips said:

On Red Alert 3: Red Alert - Westwood Studios = crap.

Agree. This goes for all cnc games btw.

EA should hire petroglyph to just make the rest of the games :P

Btw the game looks great. 

Check out my game about moles ^

SeriousWB said:
naznatips said:
Mise said:
naznatips said:
Yakuzaice said:
I can't wait. The first one was great(never bought any expansions though). This one looks amazing. I don't share your optimism on SCII though. But it would be a pleasant surprise.

It's not really optimism as much as personal experience. I have yet to play a Blizzard game that could be described as anything but "Amazing."

Blackthorne and the first two Warcrafts say hello.

Never played Blackthorne, but the first two Warcrafts were amazing for their time.  I know people who like WC2 better than WC3.   

Anyway, I never got into Company of Heroes... though I blame that on me despising World War 2 games.  I do really like the original Dawn of War, but it hardly changed the way RTS games were played.  This definitely looks more revolutionary than Dawn of War was.

That said, I agree with Kyros that Blizzard's ability to perfectly balance 3 completely unique races will always make them the RTS king for me.  When I play a game I want completely different experiences depending on which race I play, and I want that experience to be balanced.

I'll be buying both these games, but the competitive one will be SC2.  This will be the "crazy new ideas" one. 

Squads (with reinforcing and individual unit upgrades), different types of cover, morale, strategic points and am army painter. The first DoW brought a lot to the RTS table.

None of this will be new in DoWII.

Squads were nothing new, although I'm pretty sure Relic did invent the concept in RTS games with Homeworld 2.
Ditto army painter.

The rest I'm pretty sure DoW was first with, but the main thing Dawn of War did right was the strategic points system, controlling area actually becomes important, and building a good base becomes secondary to holding territory. CoH took it a step further, but I couldn't really get into it for much the same reason as Naz, I'm hoping that DoW2 goes more in the CoD way of making strategic use of the battlefield.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!