By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Take Two: GTA IV 8.5m sales/11m shipped, Bioshock 2.2m shipped.

mrstickball said:
And how recent is the GTAIV sales data? US NPD hasn't released yet (if I am thinking right?) so they can only estimate those numbers, or so I would think.

It is probably their internal estimations using data received from various retailers. It will definitely not be NPD's data, unless they also provide weekly data for customers.

Around the Network

good job thats alot of software sold,but its a bit overtracked,but no problem

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

mrstickball said:
And how recent is the GTAIV sales data? US NPD hasn't released yet (if I am thinking right?) so they can only estimate those numbers, or so I would think.

They shipped 11m by May 31 and close to 8.5m sold through.

As expected, GTA IV had a major impact on Take-Two's second quarter, as sales more than doubled year-over-year and a net loss was transformed into a sizable profit.

by James Brightman on Thursday, June 05, 2008

Publisher Take-Two Interactive has released its second quarter fiscal results for the period ended April 30, 2008 (one day after the release of GTA IV). Thanks to the incredible launch of the latest GTA, net revenue more than doubled to $539.8 million, while net income came to $98.2 million (or $1.29 per share), compared to a net loss of $51.2 million one year ago at this time.

Take-Two noted that the Q2 results did include "$12.4 million in stock-based compensation expense ($0.16 per share); $3.8 million in professional fees and legal expenses, primarily related to Electronic Arts' unsolicited tender offer ($0.05 per share) and $0.9 million in business reorganization costs ($0.01 per share)."

For the six-month period, Take-Two's sales climbed from $482.8 million to $780.3 million and net income for the first half of fiscal 2008 came to $60.2 million (or $0.80 per share) – a vast improvement over the loss of $72.8 million for the first half of fiscal 2007.

The importance of GTA to Take-Two's business cannot be emphasized enough. The company said that as of May 31, 2008, over 11 million units have been sold in to retailers and approximately 8.5 million units have been sold through to consumers. [Update: On a conference call Take-Two execs revealed that GTA IV plus catalogue GTA sales accounted for roughly 78 percent of all publishing revenue during Q2.]

2K Boston's underwater epic BioShock also continues to perform well with 2.2 million shipped on Xbox 360 and PC to date.

"Take-Two's performance has exceeded expectations through the first half of fiscal 2008, clearly demonstrating the creative, operational and financial strength of our business," commented Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two. "Our results reflected the extraordinary success of Grand Theft Auto IV, the value of our catalog of titles, and our ongoing initiatives to improve the efficiency of our operations. We look forward to continuing to enhance stockholder value by building on our broad portfolio of internally developed and owned interactive entertainment brands, leveraging the opportunities in the current industry cycle, and operating our business in an effective manner."

"Based on the Company's stronger than expected results, we have increased our financial guidance for fiscal 2008 and are confident in our ability to continue to perform for the balance of the year," added Ben Feder, Chief Executive Officer of Take-Two. "Furthermore, Take-Two is extremely well positioned in an industry that is experiencing explosive growth. We believe that our exceptional creative talent, diverse range of hit products, and the proven global demand for our titles will be the drivers of increasing value over time."

As mentioned by Feder, Take-Two has provided new guidance. For the third quarter ending July 31, the company expects revenue of $325 to $375 million and non-GAAP earnings per share of $0.45 to $0.55. For the fourth quarter ending October 31, Take-Two is forecasting revenue of $300 to $350 million and non-GAAP earnings per share of $0.10 to $0.20. And finally, for the full year ending October 31, the company now expects revenue in the range of $1.4 to $1.5 billion with non-GAAP earnings per share around $1.65 to $1.85.

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/grand-theft-auto-iv/xbox-360/game-news/gta-iv-ships-11-million-drives-taketwo-q2-profit-to-nearly-100-million

Slimebeast said:
Take 2 says 2.2 million Bioshock shipped. VGC has the X360 version at 1.8 mill sold.

I wonder, does the shipped number include the PC version?

Yes it does include PC version.

That's some dandy sales indeed...and didn't a report by Pachter come out and say it wouldn't sell 12 million by the end of the year? It should EASILY hit that goal.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network
shanbcn said:
Slimebeast said:
Take 2 says 2.2 million Bioshock shipped. VGC has the X360 version at 1.8 mill sold.

I wonder, does the shipped number include the PC version?

Yes it does include PC version.

Ahh, ok.

The PC version sold like crap. I think Bioshock was one of the titles mentioned when Infinity Ward talked about piracy and PC version of their CoD4 having poor sales.

Shooters often have a 5:1 or even near 10:1 ratio between console vs PC sales.

Bioshock was only released on the X360, so let's say the PC-vers retail sales were 20% of the X360 sales ---> 0.2 x 1.8 = 360,000 retail.

I don't think Take 2 included the digital downloads in their 2.2 mil shipped number. 1.8 mill + 0.36 mill = 2.16 mill for both platforms. Only 40,000 copies sitting on the shelves is unlikely. So Bioshock X360 looks to be over-tracked by a couple of hundred thousands on VGC. =(