By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First Hd wii game?

kylohk said:
What's Mace Windu doing there? Isn't he dead by the end of Episode III?

It's just for the vs. mode.  It's like asking how, in Battlefront 2, you could have Luke as the Rebel hero and General Grievous for the enemies.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
vaio said:
Imperial said:
bardicverse said:
Imperial said:
bardicverse said:
Imperial, opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one, and they're usually full of sh*t. So, do us all a favor and go back to Gamespot. All you are doing is defacing the value of this website.

Funny that , meaning your opinion is also full of shit , have a nice cup of STFU .

Sorry lil guy, but that one was a fact, no opinion injected.

Do I need to get a dictionary definition of "fact" or are you just that stupid ?

Here´s a fact for you: You always try to destroy Wii threads with your negativity.

Please leave!!

OP: Nice to see the effort is getting better when it comes to the Wii.

That's not true !!!  I love the Wii.

so when we see developers release 360/ps3 game screen shots that have a rez of 2500x1200 are we to belive that the game will render at that rez?

Hell no, these are PR pics to promote the game and nothing else, the same with these pics.

Ask Quaz51 on the beyond3d forums and hell definitely confirm the real rez of the pics and weather they are upscaled BS (for those that don't know, Quaz51 is the guy who reveled that Halo 3 was rendered at only 640p)

Imperial said:
Plaupius said:
Imperial said:

I stated my opinion and on the basis that it was contrary to what many Nintendo fans believe , I knew you would consider it a troll.

I at least justified my opinion with some explanation.

Ah, but you tried to state your opinion as fact. Here's a revised, non-trolling version of your post:

"Not to troll but I think those look like PS2 graphics , still screenshots may make it look all current gen and so on but in motion i'm sure the differences between the two versions will be hardly noticable.

Talking about Wii graphics is, in my opinion, like analysing the horsepower,acceleration and top speed etc of a Ford family car. The Wii wasn't intended for HD so I dought we'll see anything near that until the end of this gen."

To your credit, you I don't think your trolling was all that bad, but it's not so hard to insert those few words into the post to make it an opinion statement instead of stating opinions as facts.

Sorry but i'm not going to emphasise "i think" and "in my opinion" in every paragraph to avoid being called a troll , i'd have though that common sense would empasise that on my behalf.

Of course it is your right to write any way you choose, but then you can't cry foul when people actually read what you wrote, and not what you meant when you wrote it. Besides, starting of with "Not to troll" is a surefire way to get anything you write interpreted as trolling. If you're not trolling, it should come across your text without any such disclaimers.

*sees Imperial's status* Thank you, mods!

Around the Network
scottie said:
breadie2 said:
I think the screenshot is upscaled to higher resolution. Wii only outputs at 480p max.

Do you even know what 480p stands for?

Ignoring any Nintendo introduced block, the Wii can output at 1080p if it wished to

What the Wii cannot do is run at 1080p at any respectable framerate

Ironically, neither can half the released PS3 and Xbox360 games.  I swear, at least half the reviews I read of X360/PS3 games  that garner below 80% for a score all have framerate issues or run only in 30 fps.  How often did Lair dip below 30 fps? 

No game these days should run below 30 fps unless it's on the DS (where the hardware makes this a forgivable sin), especially with all the raw power of the Xbox360 and PS3.  Blows my mind to see games still coming out and garnering negative points for framerate issues.

Plaupius said:
sc94597 said:
scottie said:
sc94597 said:
scottie said:
breadie2 said:
I think the screenshot is upscaled to higher resolution. Wii only outputs at 480p max.

Do you even know what 480p stands for?

Ignoring any Nintendo introduced block, the Wii can output at 1080p if it wished to

What the Wii cannot do is run at 1080p at any respectable framerate

Fixed? Right? I agree, but I would rather it not be hd at all. Maybe like sub hd, but not above 720p like this.

Fixed (set back to what to originally was)

Are you claiming that Nintendo could not produce a Wii game in native 1080p that displays at 1 frame per second?

Which is why I added "What the Wii cannot do is run at 1080p at any respectable framerate"

The fact is, 1080p is a Sony buzzword.

Oh of course it could. I could run quake at 1080p. Doesn't mean it looks better. that is the point you are trying to make?

For a bit more technical discussion about the subject, see this from Beyond3D forums.

While it is technically possible for the Wii to render at higher resolutions, it requires some rather extreme measures as the frame buffer is only 2MB and the Hollywood doesn't support hardware tiling. I don't know, though, if the Wii could actually output 1080x1920 images progressively, my technical knowledge ends way before that.

YOu could use the Gddr3 ram as a framebuffer.

A couple things:

-The size of these screenshots are hardly an indication that the game will be HD

-Current Wii games render at 640x440ish according to Quaz51.

-The hardware in the Wii might not allow for HD output. I'm not talking about having the horsepower to run in HD, I'm talking about having a DAC (digital to analog converter) capable of handling HD output. So even if you just want to output a simple HD picture, the Wii might not be able to do it.

-Rendering to the GDDR3 RAM is slow I believe. At least that's what I gathered from reading the Beyond3D thread about the Wii.

bobobologna said:
A couple things:

-The size of these screenshots are hardly an indication that the game will be HD

Agreeed

Actually some games run at 800x480. 

-The hardware in the Wii might not allow for HD output. I'm not talking about having the horsepower to run in HD, I'm talking about having a DAC (digital to analog converter) capable of handling HD output. So even if you just want to output a simple HD picture, the Wii might not be able to do it.

Did the ps2 have this DAC? I don't remember it having one. Actually I didn't even remember the original xbox having one. 

-Rendering to the GDDR3 RAM is slow I believe. At least that's what I gathered from reading the Beyond3D thread about the Wii.

It's the same speed as if you to render the integrated 1T-ram. It's been stated so many times.

sc94597 said:

bobobologna said:
A couple things:

Agreeed

Actually some games run at 800x480.

Did the ps2 have this DAC? I don't remember it having one. Actually I didn't even remember the original xbox having one.

It's the same speed as if you to render the integrated 1T-ram. It's been stated so many times.

Which games run at 800x480?  Do you have proof/links of this?

ALL consoles have DACs.  That's how they output their signals... CPUs are digital, most TVs use an analog signal...

Do you have links for your last statement?  "If I remember correctly, you can render to the main memory directly. It would be excruciatingly slow and thus useless in any reasonable scenario involving gaming, but rendering a higher (than what the 2MB eDRAM could hold) resolution framebuffer might be done theoritically."  That's from the Beyond3D link.