By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Microsoft Needs a Kick in the Pants (and Why I hope MGS4 does it)

MontanaHatchet said:
Shameless said:
I feel sorry for Microsoft. They've had some amazing exclusives and easily the best library up until recently and they're still struggling. It's a shame really.

This much is true.

The funny thing about this generation is that it may be the first where the console with the best games comes in 3rd place.

If you look at the sales charts here, you'll notice that Microsoft, as a software company, sells very few games on the 360. What little money they receive they need to get from hardware. A price cut would just eat into their profits more. Microsoft, at this point, is concerned about breaking even.

Not even sure what that means they have been making profit for nearly a good year now and certainly not on just HW. Considering the 360 has one of the best attach rates to date making profit from not just first party SW sales, but third party is key and yes that is how the console business works. There share of 3rd party SW will continue to add up. This year however will be big for MS first and second party line as well.  Now they are not concerned about breaking even they are concerned about continuing there profits beyond this fiscal year.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:

What I don't get is the contradiction. Some people are saying the PS3's slight Japan bump was due to MGS4 coming, but label its poor NA sales as a bi-product of people waiting for MGS4.

I think the slight Japan bump was just that, a 2k bump from last week, nothing that special.

To be honest, I think MGS4 will be huge, I just think most of the bump will be to the game, not to the PS3.  If GTAIV couldn't do it for the HD consoles, can MGS4 really stand a chance for more than a month or so?

MGS4 will have an effect, but I think the biggest advantage, is it releases with the 80 gig's return (so BC), and with a cool new color. That alone will probably sell as many consoles as the game itself.

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:

Nah, not really.

That's what I think. Especially with how low 360 and PS3 are this week in America, if the PS3 can just sell 200 - 250k more consoles than XBOX in June (4 week month), it will double 360 sales. I don't think that's too hard of a stretch, but I'm no Pachter.

MGS4 is a success no matter what happens, since it's an awesome game. But sales-wise, I'd call it a disappointment if it didn't outsell 360 by 1.5:1

What I don't get is the contradiction. Some people are saying the PS3's slight Japan bump was due to MGS4 coming, but label its poor NA sales as a bi-product of people waiting for MGS4.

First off, welcome back Starcraft.

Second, I kind of do believe this thinking because Sony officially annouced the 80 gig bundle in April.  Anyone who wanted both, held up at that point and said I will wait for the bundle and then get GTA4.  At least that is what i would have done if I didn't have the 60 gig already.

I'm just saying...

TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:

I think the slight Japan bump was just that, a 2k bump from last week, nothing that special.

To be honest, I think MGS4 will be huge, I just think most of the bump will be to the game, not to the PS3. If GTAIV couldn't do it for the HD consoles, can MGS4 really stand a chance for more than a month or so?

MGS4 will have an effect, but I think the biggest advantage, is it releases with the 80 gig's return (so BC), and with a cool new color. That alone will probably sell as many consoles as the game itself.

Yea, but most of them will end up on EBay.  Welcome to a free market...

I'm just saying...

While I love many of the games on my 360, I'm always glad to see Microsoft in check. I don't want to see them in a monopoly position like they are with OS and crank out something like Vista.

While they have alot of resources, its good for any company to face competition. That's one of the reasons the new Falcon 360s persumably have a failure rate similar to the PS3 and Wii.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

^you're talking as if MS were the market-share leaders in the console business, coming from a generation with +100 million Xbox's sold and making tons of profit.

Geez.... Welcome to reality.

Slimebeast said:
^you're talking as if MS were the market-share leaders in the console business, coming from a generation with +100 million Xbox's sold and making tons of profit.

Geez.... Welcome to reality.

Umm, actually I'm comparing a market that MS has a monopoly (OS) to a market MS doesn't have a monopoly (console). 

Because of the stiff competition from the PS3, MS acted on the RROD alot faster than Sony acted on the DRE in the PS2 era, and alot faster than they (MS) are acting on making me want to rid my XP install on my dual Vista/XP system.  My laptop was preloaded with Vista, but put XP on it because of how much better it is with resource management and other things.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

darthdevidem01 said:
GTA IV is multiplat....I don't believe people forget that

Ah, but the point is HD console fanboys grouped together talking about how much hardware is was gonna move in the US, then NPD came out and it seemed to actually produce negative console growth.

Most people think the HD consoles are too expensive for one exclusive to move them in spurts, but rather over time these consoles will sell at their current levels thanks to a steady stream of big name games.

Either way, it is very doubtful that MGS4 will sell more than the PS3 version of GTAIV, bundled or not.

I don't believe you forgot those realities either. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Bodhesatva said:
famousringo said:
MS and Sony have both realized that subsidizing gamers isn't giving them the userbase they require to pay off in the long run. They're buckling down and trying to recover what they've already sunk into this generation while making plans for the next big battle.

Small price cuts down the road which keep the hardware profitable are on the menu. Big price cuts are not because they simply won't stimulate enough demand to justify the cost.

Yes. I considered giving you a celebratory ban because I agree with this so much, but for some reason others don't seem to like get banned as a reward for intelligent comments.

It reminds me of the time I vomited all over a girl to tell her how much I loved her.

Hm, that's almost too bad. Would have made a fun little story to tell in those "have you ever been banned" threads.

What's it like being Bodhesatva and trying to pick up women? 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Madyson5 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:
Heh, MGS4 will do nothing of the sort.

This was perfect thread until...this silly response

Ok, lets think about this for a second if GTA IV couldn't do it why in the world would MGS4. Like I said, nothing of the sort. I have 2 PS3s in my house btw although I did cancel my pre-order for MGS4 and will pick up on the cheap later this year.  An actual US price drop will come later this year however.

that's because GTA IV was multiplatform.  Halo 3 did it for 360, MGS4 will probably do the same for PS3. remember MGS2? that sold alot of PS2s.