By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wow maybe Sony was right about Blu-ray?

I notice people are saying BluRay isn't taking off as fast as DVD. Didn't DVD come out in 1997 and not become mainstream until sometime in 2001?

I also see the ever so famous "Nobody will buy it because it isover $299.99".

People didn't buy DVD players much either when they were between $299.99-$1000 originally or when the DVD discs themselves were $24.99-34.99.

It took off when prices dropped, now why can't anyone accept the fact this may happen with BluRay as well?

I am just curious, do people actually believe that when DVD players and BD players are around the same price and their discs cost the same amount that people will settle for lower quality and options for the same price?

You all have to realize that at some point... DVD will be over.

I saw another post that said "Just put new games on 2 DVD9's then install". Why? By that time putting it on one BD will cost less than 2 DVD9's. Remember... prices always drop.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Everyone knew that adoption would improve but those numbers aren't very impressive. What are total sales between DVD and Blu-ray? 95%/5% split? Even lower, possibly?

Blur-ray has a long way to go before I'll be impressed with its marketshare.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

disolitude said:
The thing about bluray is that its great technology. Its awesome to have a 50 GB storage capacity on a optical media... what isn't aweosme is that they are trying to push this technology on the normal/average consumer. The technology will come to light when its affordable enough and ready for the mainstream.

I suspect it will have far move practical use in the computer world than in the Movie world as Indiana Jones:the crystal skull is an average movie no matter what resolution you watch it at...

But Sony should have waited for the mainstream push until they could give us blank disks for 5 bucks a pop and burners for 100 bucks.

Err... in actual fact its the norm for technology to release before the mainstream is ready.  Cassette tapes - expensive (at first), CDs - expensive (at first) and recording your own, sorry you'll have to wait for that, VHS - expensive (at first), DVD - expensive (at first) and recording your own, sorry you'll have to wait for that.

BR is no different.  Eventually it will get cheaper, you'll get BR recorders, etc.  But no way would the electronics giants wait until they got it all affordable - that's simply not how the market works nor how its ever worked.

New tech = expensive for first 2 years and early adopters only, then mainstream adoption (if its succeeds and doesn't disappear).  The point being made in the OP is that BR, given this cost and looking back to DVD adoption, seems to be growing at a more than acceptable pace vs previous formats such as DVD adoption over VHS format.

I know a lot of gamers didn't want the PS3 with BR because they didn't want that cost but at the end of the day businesses like Sony make their choies and you vote with your money.  If you don't want it at all you don't buy, if you want it at a lower price then you have to wait the 2 years or so that normally takes, if you want it now you buy it now.

When I think on how much the first Betamax and VHS players cost vs their specs... never mind the cost of the first CD and DVD burners...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
disolitude said:
The thing about bluray is that its great technology. Its awesome to have a 50 GB storage capacity on a optical media... what isn't aweosme is that they are trying to push this technology on the normal/average consumer. The technology will come to light when its affordable enough and ready for the mainstream.

I suspect it will have far move practical use in the computer world than in the Movie world as Indiana Jones:the crystal skull is an average movie no matter what resolution you watch it at...

But Sony should have waited for the mainstream push until they could give us blank disks for 5 bucks a pop and burners for 100 bucks.

Err... in actual fact its the norm for technology to release before the mainstream is ready.  Cassette tapes - expensive (at first), CDs - expensive (at first) and recording your own, sorry you'll have to wait for that, VHS - expensive (at first), DVD - expensive (at first) and recording your own, sorry you'll have to wait for that.

BR is no different.  Eventually it will get cheaper, you'll get BR recorders, etc.  But no way would the electronics giants wait until they got it all affordable - that's simply not how the market works nor how its ever worked.

New tech = expensive for first 2 years and early adopters only, then mainstream adoption (if its succeeds and doesn't disappear).  The point being made in the OP is that BR, given this cost and looking back to DVD adoption, seems to be growing at a more than acceptable pace vs previous formats such as DVD adoption over VHS format.

I know a lot of gamers didn't want the PS3 with BR because they didn't want that cost but at the end of the day businesses like Sony make their choies and you vote with your money.  If you don't want it at all you don't buy, if you want it at a lower price then you have to wait the 2 years or so that normally takes, if you want it now you buy it now.

When I think on how much the first Betamax and VHS players cost vs their specs... never mind the cost of the first CD and DVD burners...

You know what would have happened to DVD if they listened to his opinion? Think of DVD first coming out in 2001 as opposed to 1997.

We would be in a completely different situation right now, considering PS2 games would all run on CD's.

Why don't people stop whining and just... I don't know... wait till prices drop? As millions did with DVD players, CD players, VHS players, etc...

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

My biggest beef right now with Blu-ray is how the players' retail prices have sat idle for nearly a year now.

Two years in and the MSRP for the cheapest players are still ~$400.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

how long it took DVD to dethrone VHS in yearly sales? How long to be priced lower than $400?

and how long until DVD burners where massively adopted?

rocketpig said:
My biggest beef right now with Blu-ray is how the players' retail prices have sat idle for nearly a year now.

Two years in and the MSRP for the cheapest players are still ~$400.

In 1999, 2 years after it released (Spring 1997) DVD players were still in the >$400 range. Not to mention that in 1998, DVD's 2nd year on the market it sold only around 1.1Million players.

When prices dropped more in 1999 sales of DVD almost quadrupled. 

Hey... it looks like it could happen again. It seems no different at all to me from when DVD was released.

Difference is that DVD had no real competition besides VHS and it was a tough battle. BD on the other hand has DVD to worry about as well as the previous battle against HD-DVD and it is still currently outpacing DVD in it;s first 2 years.

BTW - Rocketpig, the first sentence was the only one directed towards you. :)

Currently playing:

The first Blu-ray news in a long time. That speaks for itself.

Magnific0 said:
and how long until DVD burners where massively adopted?

Without a doubt much later than 2001. 4+ years after the release of DVD.

This is why most of the complaints about BD pricing, burner pricing, etc... is rubbish IMO.

People try to make it look as though it's sales are bad, but in comparison to the launch of DVD (which had less competition) it is doing extremely well.

Currently playing: