By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Sees Slow Wii Sales in Korea

bad in korea but absolutely selling like hot cakes in the rest of the world. nintendo is in trouble

Around the Network

Thanks for this thread. I was dying to see how console sales were going in Korea, particularly after Wii launch. Sales figures seem ok but judging by 'others/ others' weekly sales we can take it then that PS360 are available in more markets?

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Anyone surprised at this? I think most of knew/know that China, India and Korea are not massive console markets despite their affinity for tech and high populations. Especially the former two are extremely weak console markets when viewed in context with the massive population.

You'd have thought the DS expanded the market, but it looks like it barely did. I thought Korea had the potential to be as big of a market as the UK, looks like I was waaaaaaaaaaay off.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Starcraft Wii confirmed for Korea. Just give them what they want. 

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Around the Network

It will eventually sell better. It just needs more time imo.

Proud owner of all three consoles and handhelds.

Gamertag: MrKetchup911 (Add me up)

colonelstubbs said:
Crisis for Nintendo!

Yep, they're only just barely selling better then 360 and PS3 rather then selling WAY better!

Compared to the competition its really not that slow. Just compared to Wii in other areas it is. Sad huh haha.

well korea isnt really that big of a market,and its doing good compared to its competition

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Mummelmann said:
Anyone surprised at this? I think most of knew/know that China, India and Korea are not massive console markets despite their affinity for tech and high populations. Especially the former two are extremely weak console markets when viewed in context with the massive population.

I definitely was not.

PC based gaming market, smaller overall console market, etc. Yet people still insisted on pointing to the relative success of the PS2 or DS (portable and console/PC gaming are two entirely different games) as to why Nintendo was "stockpiling" consoles for the Korean market release to partially explain lower than production WW monthly sales as though the market was large enough to have a significant impact.

This is not to say that the Wii won't necessesarily do as well as the PS2 in Korea, but the region lock and lack of Korean ports makes the console a tougher sell until the Korean Wii market sees a larger library of softs.

Still curious to see how the China debut will effect WW sales, but I'm not convinced it will be any higher than Nintendo's projections.

Any information on how large the Chinese launch is supposed to be should give us a fair estimate.